+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rejection of online application - travel history, employment prospects, etc.

Samster

Feb 20, 2013
Hi,

I had applied for a visitor's visa online for my mother on 2nd March 2017. My husband who is employed by a Canadian company is here on a work permit and i have an open work permit. I paid for the application fees online using the Canadian credit card and submitted the scanned documents online. From the letter i received today, the application was processed by the High Commission of Canada in Nairobi, Kenya. The rejection is based on the following:

1) You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

a) travel history
b) employment prospects in country of residence
c) Family ties in Canada
d) Purpose of visit

2) Other reasons:
Your family members in Canada are there temporarily

There is no further explanation of the rejection. I had ensured that my mother's application was complete. She had shown her residence, employment and financial status in her country of residence. Based on my mother's employment, a school teacher in Central Africa, she submitted her most recent contract letter, her salary slips and her bank statement and current account savings (>$10,000). Apparently that is not good enough.

The only possible document that was missing is a letter from the school that she will be traveling to Canada for a holiday and will return and join the school for work. But her travel was planned during her school easter vacation and like every other time we have applied for visas to other countries, including US, we have not submitted such a letter as she only travels when she has a school vacation.

I had also provided all sufficient documents to prove my husband's employment and my status in Canada. A letter of invitation to stay with us in our house while visiting Canada. So does this mean because we are here on temporary resident visas ourselves, my parent cannot visit us????

I am absolutely shocked as my mother has traveled extensively and she has previously traveled to Canada in 2012 and her visa was approved at the New York embassy, when she applied there in person during her visit to the US. The last thing i expected was a rejection from the Canadian embassy stating my husband and i are temporary residents.

I am not sure what to do as I was expecting to see my mother here in a few weeks and it looks like it will not be possible even if we reapply. Infact she is so disappointed she does not even want to waste time or money anymore in applying again.

Can someone please provide some suggestions or clarify if this is common in the Kenyan High Commission of Canada to reject applications for no reason? Is there anyone i can talk to who has the authority to look into this case?

Thanks.

CSP_123

Mar 23, 2017
This is sad news. Not sure what to say. Maybe just reapply with your letter.

Let us know how is goes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long a trip did she request?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Based on the reasons for rejection and what you described about your mother, I suspect the visa officer did not see most of those documents you claim you submitted, possibly because they weren't uploaded correctly.

Did you try to upload multiple files in one slot/requirement? It will only attach the last file you uploaded. Multiple documents must be merged in one PDF per requirement, e.g. your mom's payslips, letter of employment, etc. have to be in a single PDF uploaded as Proof of Financial Support.

In any case, you can't appeal, you have to submit a new application.

Samster

Feb 20, 2013
I had merged all the documents and uploaded according to the requirements. All the pages were merged in a single file for each section.

Thanks for your input, i guess she will have to apply in person.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. Did your mom include a Travel History explanation?

2. Does your mom live with any other family members?

3. What documents did she submit for her residence?

Samster

Feb 20, 2013
1) All her travel history are on visitors visa. And yes a specific explanation for her previous visit to Canada was included.

2) My mum is a widow. She lives with her brother and his family.

3) For the residence proof, she submitted a copy of her valid residence permit

What i do not understand is what did they mean by:

Other reasons:
Your family members in Canada are there temporarily

What else am I supposed to show if I am not a citizen or on PR? Does this mean I cannot invite my family members if i am on work permit?

Amongst the list of documents, she submitted her employment contract valid for this year. The only document that she could not submit due to unavailability at that time, was a letter from the school saying that she will travel and return to her work after the easter holidays. Considering she was submitting the valid contract, she did not think the letter would be necessary.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. How long did she visit Canada and the US the previous time?

I suggest she must include:
1. Evidence that she lives with her brother and his family at the same address + since how long (to establish her family ties in her home country)

2. Does your mom pay the utility bills/contribute to expenses in her brother's household? If yes, include evidence of this

3. A letter stating she has been working since XX years at the same school + leave approval/she must start work on XX date. This will indicate that it's not her first work contract at that school

4. Does she have any financial investments + get school benefits + have retirement funds? If yes, do include evidence

5. Hopefully there are no last-minute deposits in her bank account + everything adds up to her income

6. She can also prepare a day-by-day itinerary listing out activities/sightseeing/meeting family and friends + include expense estimates.... and prove she can afford the trip + airfare

7. Overseas travel medical insurance policy (date change possible) although this is not mandatory

8. Prepare an Explanation: My Family..... two separate sections, one listing immediate family (name, age, relationship, nationality, address) + other section for extended family (no details required. For example, my-brother's-married-son and his family in City XX/two maternal cousins and their families in City XX, etc to prove she has more family to return to)

What else am I supposed to show if I am not a citizen or on PR? Does this mean I cannot invite my family members if i am on work permit?
Don't be disheartened by this :)

We have come across some recent cases of parents of students/WPs who were issued TRVs for 10 years (i.e. full passport validity) and not just until the expiry of the WP/study permit.

Do check for any gaps in explanations/evidence. I'm sure your mom will get her TRV :)

sexychill

Aug 21, 2012
Visa Office......
EDMONTON - MANILA
what is the employment prospect:>> we have the same refusal when I applied my trv application.