+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445


Discussion in 'Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration' started by izabelle07, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. Migrating to a foreign country is not easy as it may looks...

    All of us here felt the anticipation of being recognized at the first stage...anxious for the acknowledgment of our documents...worried in our medical results...excited in passing our passports...and dreaming of landing soon to our most awaited destination...CANADA

    I would like to share my opinion...in this write-up you'll see much of the details taken from every different sites...credits to them as well

    [size=10pt]1. What is the difference between Regulated and Non-regulated Professions?[/size]

    A. Many professions set their own standards of practice. These are called regulated occupations.

    In Canada, about 20 percent of jobs are in occupations regulated by the provincial or territorial governments. Through legislation and regulations, the provinces and territories give to professions the authority to self-regulate in order to protect public health and safety, and to ensure that professionals meet the required standards of practice and competence.

    If you want to work in a regulated occupation and use a regulated title, you must have a licence or a certificate or be registered with the regulatory body for your occupation in the province or territory where you plan to work.

    Some fields where regulated occupations are commonly found include:

    * health care
    * financial services
    * law and legal services
    * engineering

    Regulated occupations are also called professions, skilled trades or apprenticeable trades.

    [size=10pt]Full List of Regulated Occupations:[/size]

    # Accountant, certified general
    # Accountant, certified management
    # Accountant, chartered
    # Agrologist
    # Agrologist, technical
    # Architect
    # Audiologist and speech-language pathologist
    # Chiropractor
    # Dental hygienist
    # Dentist
    # Denturist
    # Dietitian
    # Engineer
    # Engineering and Applied Science Technician, Technologist
    # Geoscientist
    # Land surveyor
    # Lawyer
    # Medical laboratory technologist
    # Midwife
    # Naturopath
    # Nurse, licensed practical
    # Nurse, registered
    # Nurse, registered psychiatric
    # Occupational therapist
    # Optician
    # Optometrist
    # Pharmacist
    # Physician
    # Physiotherapist
    # Podiatrist
    # Psychologist
    # Respiratory therapist
    # School clinician
    # Social worker
    # Teacher
    # Veterinarian

    Link: http://www.credentials.gc.ca/individuals/credential.asp

    B. A job in a non-regulated occupation is one for which you don’t need a licence, certificate or registration to work. Most jobs in Canada are in non-regulated occupations.

    Requirements for employment can vary greatly between employers, but you must be prepared to demonstrate that you have the education or experience to do the job.

    You may be expected to demonstrate a certain level of skill and competence, to have a specific amount of education, and even to have personal characteristics suitable for the job. For example, working in the field of marketing is not regulated, but it is likely that employers will expect you to have a degree or a certificate in business with some specialization or experience in marketing.

    It is up to the employer to decide whether the qualifications you have earned outside Canada are equivalent to Canadian qualifications required for the job.

    Some employers will require that job applicants be registered or certified by the relevant professional association. Credential assessment and recognition helps Canadian employers understand your qualifications.

    Link: http://www.credentials.gc.ca/individuals/credential.asp

    2. What to do if you are under Regulated Occupations?

    A. It is important to understand how your profession will evaluate your academic training, your work experience, and your skills and competencies. Most often, this evaluation will include:

    * matching your training and skills to the profession’s standards by comparing your original academic transcripts and other related documents, such as university course descriptions, to the training provided by Canadian colleges and universities.
    * having you write examinations or go through an interview or both. You will be evaluated as an individual, and you should not compare your experience directly to that of someone else’s. You must understand the requirements as they apply to your own situation in the province or territory where you intend to work.

    [size=10pt]Steps to follow:[/size]

    * Use the Working in Canada Tool to create a report that will tell you whether your job is in a regulated occupation and help you find the correct regulatory body or apprenticeship authority.
    * Compare your qualifications to the requirements for licensing, certification or registration to work in that job in that province or territory, which can be found by using the Working in Canada Tool.
    * Contact the regulatory body for your profession in your province or territory or visit its website to determine what you need to do to obtain a licence or authorization. You will have to demonstrate that your training, experience and other skills are equivalent to the standards that people trained in Canada must also meet.
    * Have an assessment done to determine the Canadian equivalent of the education you obtained outside Canada. This is necessary because your academic credentials may not be automatically recognized as equivalent to Canadian standards. In many cases, you will have to use an assessment agency to do this.
    * Note that in many cases, you can have your academic credentials assessed and begin applying for a licence or certificate before you leave your home country. If you plan to work in a regulated occupation, the regulatory body or apprenticeship authority can advise you on the steps you can take before arriving in Canada.

    Note: The recognition process is different in each province or territory and for each profession or trade. If you need to have your credentials assessed for educational purposes, contact the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials. It assists individuals, employers, professionals and organizations with foreign credential recognition and the assessment of diplomas and qualifications in Canada.

    Link: http://www.credentials.gc.ca/individuals/credential.asp

    [size=10pt]Example: Registered Nurse (NOC 3152) Immigrating to Manitoba...From Processing to Forms and Fees...Just click the link below...[/size]

    Link: http://crnm.mb.ca/applicants-international-process.php

    3. Benefits of accomplishing the above mentioned?

    There are many documents related to your education and your experience that help regulatory bodies, assessment agencies or employers understand your international qualifications. The types of documents that are required vary, and could include:

    * degrees, diplomas or certificates from universities, colleges, secondary schools or trade schools
    * program descriptions related to your studies
    * transcripts of grades
    * apprenticeship certificates
    * letters from employers
    * performance reviews
    * work descriptions for jobs you have done
    * letters of reference

    Where possible, it is best to have documents sent directly from schools or other organizations to Canada. The regulator may also require this. Check with the regulatory body, employer, credential assessment agency or educational institution to find out what its requirements are. This is something you can do [size=10pt]before you leave for Canada.[/size]

    Link: http://www.credentials.gc.ca/individuals/credential.asp

    [size=10pt]4. In my point of view...in doing so...[/size]

    To be able to work efficiently at a later date, you must prepare your self first and all the things to be done in your country...It will be easier for you and your family to adjust in Canada...

    [size=10pt]GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US AND GOD BLESS...[/size]
    Amrita1988, nedian84 and dpbi8891 like this.
  2. Thanks for sharing ... great info even though my occ is un-regulated! +1 from me!
  3. Thanks odin2404...lucky for you ;D ;D ;D
    Wish you good journey with your application...who knows maybe we the members here will be seeing each other soon in Canada (crossing fingers)...
  4. You may also wanna check this out...

    Visit the Red Seal Program website to find out about the 49 skilled trades in Canada (for example: welder, bricklayer, hairstylist, tile setter).


    [size=10pt]NOC Trade Name [/size]

    7312 Agricultural Equipment Technician
    7332 Appliance Service Technician
    7322 Automotive Painter
    7321 Automotive Service Technician
    6252 Baker
    7262 Boilermaker
    7281 Bricklayer
    7272 Cabinetmaker
    7271 Carpenter
    7282 Concrete Finisher
    7611 Construction Craft Worker
    7241 Construction Electrician
    6242 Cook
    7333 Electric Motor System Technician
    2242 Electronics Technician (Consumer Products)
    7295 Floorcovering Installer
    7292 Glazier
    6271 Hairstylist
    7312 Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
    7421 Heavy Equipment Operator
    7242 Industrial Electrician
    7311 Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
    2243 Instrumentation and Control Technician
    7293 Insulator (Heat and Frost)
    7264 Ironworker (Generalist)
    7264 Ironworker (Reinforcing)
    7264 Ironworker (Structural / Ornamental)
    2225 Landscape Horticulturist
    7284 Lather (Interior Systems Mechanic)
    7231 Machinist
    7263 Metal Fabricator (Fitter)
    7371 Mobile Crane Operator
    7371 Mobile Crane Operator (Hydraulic)
    7322 Motor Vehicle Body Repairer (Metal and Paint)
    7334 Motorcycle Mechanic
    7331 Oil Heat System Technician
    7294 Painter and Decorator
    1472 Partsperson
    7251 Plumber
    7244 Powerline Technician
    7383 Recreation Vehicle Service Technician
    7313 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
    8232 Rig Technician
    7291 Roofer
    7261 Sheet Metal Worker
    7252 Sprinkler System Installer
    7252 Steamfitter / Pipefitter
    7283 Tilesetter
    7232 Tool and Die Maker
    7371 Tower Crane Operator
    7321 Transport Trailer Technician
    7321 Truck and Transport Mechanic
    7265 Welder

    Link: http://www.red-seal.ca/w.2lc.4me@-eng.jsp?fbc=Y#bm_srch
  5. many thanx isabelle
    gr8 info...
  6. pretty much welcome tallprince...good luck
  7. thanks alot this will be very helpful

  8. Here is the link where you could find your professions and the governing bodies that will assess you and your experience...eventually it will allow you to find the right job for you...it wont do you any harm by preparing, right?

    We only have to motivate our selves to pass all their requirements in order for us to be competitive in our chosen profession...

    Link: http://www.cicic.ca/403/occupational-profiles-for-selected-trades-and-professions.canada
  9. Well done ISA as many applicants after receiving visas just rush to land in Canada without any prior preparations. At least some of them can reduce the hardship ahead if they prepare and take the final leap.
  10. Now that this thread is open ... here's a question!

    I've applied under the 0631 code (Food & Beverage service managers).

    Does this mean once I'm in Canada, I have to work in the same position, as I'm pretty confident of acquiring a job in the same industry higher up the food chain?
  11. Hi Izabelle07,

    Very informative....excellent....keep it up.

  12. hi odin2404...

    Information on requirements to practise

    The profession of food and beverage managers is not regulated in Canada. Food and beverage managers direct and control the operations of restaurants, bars, cafeterias and other food and beverage services. For a general description of duties and employment requirements for this occupation, you can refer to the information page on food and beverage manager by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC), a not-for-profit, government-funded sector council.

    Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC)
    151 Slater, Suite/Bureau 608
    Ottawa ON K1P 5H3 Canada
    Phone : +1-613-231-6949
    Email : info@cthrc.ca

    My Opinion: Yes...you could work as F&B Manager in Canada because it is not regulated...with the exception of how you can land the job? You could research more regarding your profession, take note that in Canada they have different standard of service so you may wanna search for some resource on how you can improve your skills and knowledge concerning the industry...try to read about this one, hope it will help you...

    [size=10pt]The emerit Professional Certification[/size]

    One of the most widely recognized certificates for this occupation in Canada is the emerit Professional Certification. No formal training is required to achieve this certification, and the knowledge exam, which is the first step in the process, can be taken on-line from anywhere in the world. The emerit Professional Certification system is designed to recognize individuals who have mastered the required skills and have met the standards of their profession in a practical job setting. This certificate is based on industry-defined standards and has been developed by the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council (CTHRC).
    For more information about emerit Professional Certification for food and beverage manager, consult the information page on the emerit Web site, or contact an emerit representative:

    Emerit Tourism Training

    Phone : +1-613-231-6949
    Phone (alternate): 1-800-486-9158
    Fax : +1-613-231-6853
    Email : info@emerit.ca

    Once you know where you will settle and work in Canada, you may want to contact the appropriate local Tourism Human Resource Organization (see list below) for further assistance.

    Link: http://www.emerit.ca/

    Note: You need to be knowledgeable with the industry and update any skills and ability because Canada has different service, culture, and standard...

    Good luck and i hope this helps...
  13. Thanks coolguy...its not easy to be a part of something in a new world...we really have to work hard in order for us to have a better future...

    Take Care
  14. Thanks Izabelle for initiating thread on this very important issue... Pl keep it going and be alive. In fact its the ultimate area of concern for most of the PR today or tomorrow... Just wondering whether Teacher in general belongs to the regulated profession as I have seen ad where it says it depends on Job circulating authority or authority as referred/recommend by them to consider/assess (mostly the academic credential) and teachers supposed not need any license to practice (Other than technical teaching profession.....).
  15. Once again ... BRILLIANT ... thanks.

Share This Page