+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Registration for delivery of baby in a Hospital in Tornoto

Shakilahmdd

Mar 10, 2013
Can anyone guide, if Toronto East General Hospital can take a pregnant mother one month before the delivery date? The pregnant mother is Canadian PR, with valid OHIP card. Moreover, what are some of the health insurance companies in Toronto, through which pregnancy & new born treatment can be insured?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for if they will take her or not, talk to the hospital and ask.

A PR mother with a valid OHIP card should be covered but there is also a possibility to lose OHIP coverage through not staying in Ontario even though the OHIP card is still valid. If that is the case here and she uses the still valid OHIP card to get health care covered and if OHIP later finds out that she should not have been covered because she had not been living in ON, they could back charge her for the costs they covered.

As for private insurance, if she is covered by OHIP, she would not need it as OHIP would cover all costs. If that is not the case, you would have a hard time to find private insurance that will cover pregnancy and child birth for a woman who is already pregnant because it is a pre-existing condition. The newborn will be a Canadian citizen and will have OHIP coverage from birth.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!
Unfortunately, no private insurance company will cover the delivery or pregnancy this late stage. Some of the insurance companies cover emergency pregnancy but only up to 9 weeks before the due date.

Shaani

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
haver said:
Hi!
Unfortunately, no private insurance company will cover the delivery or pregnancy this late stage. Some of the insurance companies cover emergency pregnancy but only up to 9 weeks before the due date.
Hi Haver

I have question, i was wondering if you could help me with it. I landed in Canada in Sept 2013, i applied for the PR and Health card.

Subsequently, after receiving the cards, i left for my home country. Now my wife is 3 months pregnant. I am planning to move back to Canada. I was wondering since my wife and i have never used the health card. Would the pregnancy be covered under Ontario Health program. The health card which i have has not expired yet according to expiry date on the card.

I would appreciate if you could help me with it.

Cheers

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Shaani said:
I have question, i was wondering if you could help me with it. I landed in Canada in Sept 2013, i applied for the PR and Health card.

Subsequently, after receiving the cards, i left for my home country. Now my wife is 3 months pregnant. I am planning to move back to Canada. I was wondering since my wife and i have never used the health card. Would the pregnancy be covered under Ontario Health program. The health card which i have has not expired yet according to expiry date on the card.

I would appreciate if you could help me with it.
She lost her OHIP coverage a long time ago due to not meeting OHIP residency requirements. So she will have to re-qualify upon returning to Canada, meaning she will need to wait 3 months after returning before she is eligible for OHIP coverage again. Any expenses incurred during these 3 months need to be paid out of pocket by you. After the 3 months waiting period, all health costs including delivery will be covered. So if you plan to deliver in Canada you should return asap.

If she tries to use OHIP coverage during first 3 months and they later learn she didn't actually qualify for it, OHIP will then charge you for all the services used.