+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused refugee claimant ~ Spousal Sponsorship ~ AIP ~ Deportation!!!!!

pennyverap

Apr 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville - Inland Sponsorship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2011
Doc's Request.
18-04-2012
Med's Done....
06-2012
A friend of mine is married to a failed refugee claimant (as am I, but my sponsorship issues to this point have, thanksfully been resolved).

Her husband had what they thought would be his PRRA meeting today but they found out that PRRA no longer exists, so it was basically a meeting with CBSA stating that he has to leave in 3 weeks.
The thing is, they have received AIP, they got it this week in the mail. They went into the meeting thinking that once you have AIP the refugee file is put to the side until sponsorship is complete.
The officer they met with today said that for him to be able to stay the sponsorship would have to be accepted and AIP isnt good enough.

Is this right?
The officer told my friend that these changes took place in June.

The thing is, my husband and I had the issue that his PRRA was denied and we were told he would have to leave if we didnt get AIP... once we got AIP CBSA and CIC both confirmed that he would not be deported... I (THANK GOD) even have this in writing because it was communicated to us via email and this all happened in July.

Any advce would be GREATLY appreciated... shes too stressed right now to do any research so Im trying my best to help :(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pennyverap said:
A friend of mine is married to a failed refugee claimant (as am I, but my sponsorship issues to this point have, thanksfully been resolved).

Her husband had what they thought would be his PRRA meeting today but they found out that PRRA no longer exists, so it was basically a meeting with CBSA stating that he has to leave in 3 weeks.
The thing is, they have received AIP, they got it this week in the mail. They went into the meeting thinking that once you have AIP the refugee file is put to the side until sponsorship is complete.
The officer they met with today said that for him to be able to stay the sponsorship would have to be accepted and AIP isnt good enough.

Is this right?

The thing is, my husband and I had the issue that his PRRA was denied and we were told he would have to leave if we didnt get AIP... once we got AIP CBSA and CIC both confirmed that he would not be deported... I (THANK GOD) even have this in writing because it was communicated to us via email and this all happened in July.

Any advce would be GREATLY appreciated... shes too stressed right now to do any research so Im trying my best to help :(
No more PRRA if it less than a year since the IRB decision

"Background

On June 28, 2012, Bill C-31 received Royal Assent becoming the Protecting Canada’s Immigration System Act (PCISA), amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. While most of the provisions of the Bill will come into force at a later date, certain provisions are now in effect, including those concerning the following bars to the PRRA:

Under subsection 112(2)(b.1) of the Balanced Refugee Reform Act, a person may not apply for a PRRA if less than 12 months have passed since their refugee claim was rejected—or determined to be abandoned or withdrawn—by the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) or the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB).
Under subsection 112(2)(c) of the Protecting Canada’s Immigration System Act, a person may not apply for a PRRA if less than 12 months have passed since their previous PRRA was rejected or determined to be withdrawn or abandoned by the RPD or the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism (CIC)."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob440E.asp

pennyverap

Apr 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville - Inland Sponsorship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2011
Doc's Request.
18-04-2012
Med's Done....
06-2012
Hi PMM,

Thank you for the information.
The thing is, my friend never received any notification concerning this, on the link you provided it states that they should have been notified.
He initally had a PRRA meeting but it was cancelled, and he was told that they would get a meeting at another date.

I have no idea what to do, I told them they should meet with the laywer my husband and I hired for our sponsorship and I suggested she contact the call center as well.

But can someone who is a refugee claimant still be deported if they have AIP?
Getting AIP put a stay on my husbands deportation... ouf this is so confusing and stressful!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pennyverap said:
Hi PMM,

Thank you for the information.
The thing is, my friend never received any notification concerning this, on the link you provided it states that they should have been notified.
He initally had a PRRA meeting but it was cancelled, and he was told that they would get a meeting at another date.

I have no idea what to do, I told them they should meet with the laywer my husband and I hired for our sponsorship and I suggested she contact the call center as well.

But can someone who is a refugee claimant still be deported if they have AIP?
Getting AIP put a stay on my husbands deportation... ouf this is so confusing and stressful!
1. With AIP the claimant is unlikely to be removed.

BLT123

Oct 1, 2012
Hey All,

I am in a similar situation. My spouse is a failed refugee claimant. However, it has been over 12 months since the IRB decision so we are entitled still to a PRAA application.

We received our Spousal Sponsorship AIP on Sept 12th, and our application was sent to the PR office on that date.

On Sept 28th, we received the PRAA letter setting a meeting date October 22nd.

With all the changes going on, can anyone shed any light on what this meeting will concern? I would like to think that if my spouse brings the AIP letter CBSA will back off. Should he apply for the PRAA?

Thanks and good luck to all!

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011: application received
Doc's Request.
07-21-2011: received AIP & PPR request
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
BLT123 said:
Hey All,

I am in a similar situation. My spouse is a failed refugee claimant. However, it has been over 12 months since the IRB decision so we are entitled still to a PRAA application.

We received our Spousal Sponsorship AIP on Sept 12th, and our application was sent to the PR office on that date.

With all the changes going on, can anyone shed any light on what this meeting will concern? I would like to think that if my spouse brings the AIP letter CBSA will back off. Should he apply for the PRAA?

a quick question, was your spouse had to do the CBSA reports every months? and if so did he has to stop to do the reports after you guys received your AIP?

tintin79

Jan 28, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2011
Interview........
genuineness determined no need for interview
Passport Req..
05-02-2013 and they're still holding on to it as ARC is still in process from Dec 12 2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
wait a minute, my husband was in the same boat and his PRAA was denied, do you mean to tell me we could of applied for this AIP thingy?

what is that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tintin79 said:
wait a minute, my husband was in the same boat and his PRAA was denied, do you mean to tell me we could of applied for this AIP thingy?

what is that?
No - you cannot apply for AIP separately. AIP (approval in principal) is the name given to the first stage approval for applications filed using the inland sponsorship process.

angel666

Jul 24, 2012
scylla said:
No - you cannot apply for AIP separately. AIP (approval in principal) is the name given to the first stage approval for applications filed using the inland sponsorship process.
question. if a refugee was denied on February of this year and applied for an appeal, will the refugee is still qualified for PRAA?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

angel666 said:
question. if a refugee was denied on February of this year and applied for an appeal, will the refugee is still qualified for PRAA?
Nope, not eligible for a PRRA

"The OIC will allow CIC to close PRRA and subsequent PRRA applications that are currently in its inventory for which a previous IRB or PRRA decision (rejected, abandoned or withdrawn) has been made within the last 12 months (August 15, 2011 to August 14, 2012) and for which a country exemption does not apply.

BLT123

Oct 1, 2012
kitchener_inland said:
a quick question, was your spouse had to do the CBSA reports every months? and if so did he has to stop to do the reports after you guys received your AIP?
Yes, he still has to report, we have not been told otherwise. Our lawyer is confidant we wont even have to go to the meeting as we have our AIP. I will update as soon as.

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
pennyverap said:

Is this right?

Hi,
i'm curios as to what happened to your friend. I was in sort of similar situation, when my wife and I went to CBSA we explained that we have applied for sponsorship and showed the evidence. then they put me on a reporting system every month, we've got AIP already (approval in principle) and second stage of our sponsorship is also complete, all we have left is to go for landing interview on Oct, 26th so from my experience if your friends have AIP her husband most likely won't be deported until the completion of their sponsorship and results. he still has to report to them until he is approved for PR.

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
BLT123 said:
Hey All,

Most likely they will wait to see the sponsorship results. whats your time line? me and my wife were in similar situation but we are almost done our sponsorship.

best of luck.

angel666

Jul 24, 2012
Question. What will be next if a decision was made by a judge at the federal court of an appeal was dismissed? The appeal is for refugee protection. Is deportation next?

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
angel666 said:
Question. What will be next if a decision was made by a judge at the federal court of an appeal was dismissed? The appeal is for refugee protection. Is deportation next?
yes. they will most likely send a letter stating that the the appeal is dismissed and they will ask the person to leave Canada voluntarily or they will persuade to deport by force. unless the circumstances change and something significant happens in the country of that person between that time that will effect that person's security and safety. he/she can apply for HC application but that does not mean he/she can stay. if the HC application is only accept it based on new evidence that his/her life is in danger then he/she might have a case.

good luck