+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused express entry

gerrylyons

Nov 4, 2017
OP, I am so sorry, your are in this situation after living and building your business here for so many years. @scylla had the best options.

You may also want to consider options for your kids who will age out (or your son who has aged out) of your PR application. If they want to stay in Canada, then studying will be the best option so they can pursue PR based on their own merits. If you don’t have a work permit, then they are international students. If they are Irish citizens, they can apply for an IEC working permit but again that is temporary and not PR. It can give them a working visa up to 24 months but can only be given once. It most likely will not give them enough points for PR if they don’t have post secondary education. Can’t comment on H&C just for them.
My son has applied for the IEC. He ha post secondary in Canada. My daughter is still in Uni.

Reactions: Naturgrl

gerrylyons

Nov 4, 2017
See my earlier post above with a list of options. IMO the first thing you should do is try to extend your current work permit.
I have look at everything. Don't think i would get enough points for FWS. Seem to be stuck in the middle of everything.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of WPs bave you been able to get? It is very surprising that your WPs got extended numerous times. It seems as though IRCC didn't realize you were self-employed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What type of WPs bave you been able to get? It is very surprising that your WPs got extended numerous times. It seems as though IRCC didn't realize you were self-employed.
Almost certainly under owner-operator. That would be the obvious answer for their situation of being self-employed / running their own business.

I'm not sure why you think IRCC didn't realize they were self-employed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Almost certainly under owner-operator. That would be the obvious answer for their situation of being self-employed / running their own business.

I'm not sure why you think IRCC didn't realize they were self-employed.
Very unusual for owner operator to be extended numerous times. Also very unusual for people to keep on renewing owner-operated because because that gives them no guarantees of a longterm future in Canada.

Jan 17, 2024
Living and working in Ontario for the last 10.5 years. I applied for my PR in March 2020 through my lawyer and only got an answer yesterday. I have a closed visa and can only work for my company which is named on my visa. The lawyer said that because i receive a T4 and a salary i was employed and not self employed. Immigration said i was self employed and refused my application. The lawyers say i can reapply as self employed but it takes 37 months and i don't think i can go through the English test shit and medicine all over again as I'm now 53 and my life has been on hold long enough.
Arrived in Canada from Ireland with my family 2011 when my chgrildren were 10 and 12 now 21 and 23. My daughter is in university and my son had to turn down a police job because the PR was rejected. My son would now be aged out of any other PR applications because he is over 22. I employee 24 Canadians at present and before the pandemic it was 35. I have paid wages of over $900,000 in the last 4 years but all of that means jack. Looks like we will have to sell up and move and start again not something i really want to do at 53.
If anyone has any Ideas please let me know.
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your permanent residency (PR) application and its impact on your life and family. You have been living and working in Ontario for a substantial period, contributing significantly to the local economy by employing numerous Canadians.

The discrepancy between your lawyer's interpretation of your employment status and the immigration authorities' decision has put you in a difficult situation. The prospect of reapplying as self-employed with a 37-month timeline, coupled with the challenges of undergoing language tests and medical examinations at the age of 53, is understandably daunting.

The consequences of this situation extend beyond yourself, affecting your family members, especially your son, who had to decline a police job due to the PR rejection. It's disheartening that your son may be aged out of other PR applications because he is over 22. The impact on your daughter's education and the well-being of your family is significant.

Your substantial contribution to the Canadian economy, employing a considerable number of Canadians and injecting over $900,000 in wages over the last four years, underscores the value you bring to the community. Unfortunately, the complexities of the immigration process have put your plans and aspirations on hold.

Given the circumstances, exploring alternative options or seeking additional legal advice might be worth considering. Consulting with a different immigration professional or seeking guidance from organizations specializing in immigration matters could provide fresh perspectives and potential solutions. Additionally, contacting local community support networks or advocacy groups may offer insights or assistance during this challenging time.

It's a difficult decision to consider selling up and relocating at this stage of your life, especially after establishing a substantial presence in Canada. If anyone in the community has experienced a similar situation or has insights into potential avenues for resolution, your open call for ideas may yield valuable suggestions.

I wish you the best of luck finding a solution that aligns with your goals and allows you to continue your life and career in Ontario. If there's anything I can assist you with or if you have further questions, feel free to let me know.