+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused express entry

gerrylyons

Nov 4, 2017
Yes my work permit is closed. Is there anything else i can do. We have invested well over $2.5 million in the last 10.5 years and pre pandemic employed 58 people. Maybe its best to sell up layoff everyone and move else where. It hard to live here on work visas as a business person as over the last ten years i can't get a normal mortgage, i can't get a car loan etc.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes my work permit is closed. Is there anything else i can do. We have invested well over $2.5 million in the last 10.5 years and pre pandemic employed 58 people. Maybe its best to sell up layoff everyone and move else where. It hard to live here on work visas as a business person as over the last ten years i can't get a normal mortgage, i can't get a car loan etc.
What province are you in? And have you looked at PNP entrepreneur programs. Depending on requirements, you may have had to apply and be approved when you first came to Canada. Self employment PR program is not an option as it is for the arts, culture and sports NOCs. Sorry can’t given any more information.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Can you extend your work permit beyond March 2022? How did you extend it previously? Can you do that again?
- CEC (Express Entry) is not an option IMO. You are self employed. But you can certainly try to appeal the decision.
- FSW (Express Entry) is most likely not an option either both due to the fact that there are no draws right now as well as the fact you most likely won't score enough points due to your age.
- Look into the Start Up Visa program as a possibility. But you would need to find a designated organization that is willing to financial invest in your company. This also won't help you extend your work permit beyond Martch 2022 (you don't have enough runway for that). I also don't know how this will work given your business is already established in Canada. Discussions in this topic are in the Business Immigration section of the forum.
- Look at the Ontario PNP (OINP) programs. Maybe there is something there.
- Last restort would be applying under H&C for PR (bsaed on your establishment in Canada, etc.). Downside of this are that processing times will likely be around 2 years and that this doesn't help you in any way immediately in terms of extending your ability to work in Canada. You don't qualify for a work permit under H&C until you have AIP (approval in principle) which will almost certainly take over a year from the time you apply.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This lawyer only does immigration and seem to know what he was doing.
The question to your current lawyer is, frankly, how did they think CEC was going to work if self-employed (and clearly so)? I would guess you'll be able to tell if the answer is nonsense. Not sure if it's worth asking.

Apart from the suggestions posed by others, perhaps there are other provincial programs that would be open to you (if you're willing to consider moving).

gerrylyons

Nov 4, 2017
What province are you in? And have you looked at PNP entrepreneur programs. Depending on requirements, you may have had to apply and be approved when you first came to Canada. Self employment PR program is not an option as it is for the arts, culture and sports NOCs. Sorry can’t given any more information.
Im in Kingston Ontario. I have lived in this city all of my time in Canada. No i have not looked at the PNP program but will.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
IMO this isn't an option based on this:

This stream is for entrepreneurs from outside Canada interested in starting a new business or buying an existing business in Ontario.
That is what I thought but there are no other entrepreneur programs for those inside and established in Canada.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We had looked at this before and it wasn't a fit.
See my earlier post above with a list of options. IMO the first thing you should do is try to extend your current work permit.

lisarogers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2021
I wish some lawyers would provide clarity, get hold of top Immigration lawyers in the city and get their opinion, i am sure there must be some way to get around this, dont loose hope. You have contributed to the economy and somehow there should be some way. Dont loose hope now, stand up and fight the battle, i have had a refusal on a study permit and i will do a JR due to some error from immigration. It is stressful dealing with lawyers i know, been through it last week.
What if your wife is employed with your firm, cant she apply for PR-CEC stream?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wish some lawyers would provide clarity, get hold of top Immigration lawyers in the city and get their opinion, i am sure there must be some way to get around this, dont loose hope. You have contributed to the economy and somehow there should be some way. Dont loose hope now, stand up and fight the battle, i have had a refusal on a study permit and i will do a JR due to some error from immigration. It is stressful dealing with lawyers i know, been through it last week.
OP and his wife are co-owners (51% and 49% or something like that). Her work experience will be classified as self-employment as well.

Reactions: lisarogers

lisarogers

Star Member
Oct 16, 2021
OP and his wife are co-owners (51% and 49% or something like that). Her work experience will be classified as self-employment as well.
try PNP program, it will be a good option as some of the criteria would be having a work permit, so many provinces have opportunities through this streams and you could be invited to apply.... Rise up! there is light at the end of the tunnel..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
OP, I am so sorry, your are in this situation after living and building your business here for so many years. @scylla had the best options.

You may also want to consider options for your kids who will age out (or your son who has aged out) of your PR application. If they want to stay in Canada, then studying will be the best option so they can pursue PR based on their own merits. If you don’t have a work permit, then they are international students. If they are Irish citizens, they can apply for an IEC working permit but again that is temporary and not PR. It can give them a working visa up to 24 months but can only be given once. It most likely will not give them enough points for PR if they don’t have post secondary education. Can’t comment on H&C just for them.

gerrylyons

Nov 4, 2017
They say she is self employed as well as she is a shareholder.