+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REFUSAL

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
Has anyone else experienced this:

Inland application sent: 2019-DEC-22 to CPC-Mississauga

Open Work Permit sent : 2020-JAN-12. Separately to CPC-Edmonton.

AOR received: March-04- 2020

Biometrics letter received August-18-2020.

Biometric fee sent to Mississauga August

After biometric letter in August everything was quiet until
last week Monday, a refusal letter for open work permit received, reason indicates:

You have not applied for PR under Spouse and Common Law Partner in Canada Class.

Isn’t that very strange? I applied for in Canada class PR and IRCC acknowledged and issued AOR already.

Has anyone else experienced this?

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020

last week Monday, a refusal letter for open work permit received, reason indicates:

You have not applied for PR under Spouse and Common Law Partner in Canada Class.

Isn’t that very strange? I applied for in Canada class PR and IRCC acknowledged and issued AOR already.

My guess is that the offices don’t communicate btw each other as much as we would like them to. If you don’t send your owp application and sponsorship application together, you’ll likely run into problems later.

If you have AIP, go ahead and apply for owp again. Along with the owp application, include a copy of the “eligibility passed” document sent to the principal applicant by IRCC. If you want to reapply for owp, only reapply after you have received AIP.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

Technically you were suppose to mail OWP and PR application together in same package as part of the OWP pilot program. Since you mailed OWP separately, it doesn't qualify. You would have to wait until you reached AIP stage before you can apply for OWP again.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My guess is that the offices don’t communicate btw each other as much as we would like them to. If you don’t send your owp application and sponsorship application together, you’ll likely run into problems later.

If you have AIP, go ahead and apply for owp again. Along with the owp application, include a copy of the “eligibility passed” document sent to the principal applicant by IRCC. If you want to reapply for owp, only reapply after you have received AIP.
It is not that they were not communicating between two different department, that was the problem. The problem lies with OP sending OWP separately from PR inland application. OP was supposed to mail both OWP and PR application same time in same package to IRCC Mississauga office in order to qualify for OWP pilot program. Since the OP didn't do that, OP doesn't qualify for OWP - PR pilot program.

Last edited:

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
Technically you were suppose to mail OWP and PR application together in same package as part of the OWP pilot program. Since you mailed OWP separately, it doesn't qualify. You would have to wait until you reached AIP stage before you can apply for OWP again.
I do understand your point, that in most cases owp forms have to be included with PR paper application. But not at all time. It’s not a must do, in case applicants situation changes before AIP or decision is rendered on PR application.

I may be wrong but, I didn’t think sending owp separately should affect anything. Otherwise what’s the point of having a dedicated office at CPC-Edmonton specifically for processing separate “OWP” application. Or I’m I missing something?.

If you read the information provided by IRCC which I relied on before making my application. It specifically says:

If the permanent residence application has not been approved in principle:

The time it takes to get your approval in principle depends on your case. Processing times vary.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Also if Indeed the refusal reason is reasonable, it shouldn’t mention that I was refused owp because I have not applied for PR, that statement would not be true. It just doesn’t make any sense. I’m genuinely thinking this was an oversight by the IRCC officer.

I have forwarded my file no:, and UCI including the AOR back to that officer for reconsideration, I will update anyone else who may run into this situation once I receive a response from them.

Last edited:

PreferredRobot

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Manitoba
I do understand your point, that in most cases owp forms have to be included with PR paper application. But not at all time. It’s not a must do, in case applicants situation changes before AIP or decision is rendered on PR application.

I may be wrong but, I didn’t think sending owp separately should affect anything. Otherwise what’s the point of having a dedicated office at CPC-Edmonton specifically for processing separate “OWP” application. Or I’m I missing something?.

If you read the information provided by IRCC which I relied on before making my application. It specifically says:

The time it takes to get your approval in principle depends on your case. Processing times vary.

Also if Indeed the refusal reason is reasonable, it shouldn’t mention that I was refused owp because I have not applied for PR, that statement would not be true. It just doesn’t make any sense. I’m genuinely thinking this was an oversight by the IRCC officer.

I have forwarded my file no:, and UCI including the AOR back to that officer for reconsideration, I will update anyone else who may run into this situation once I receive a response from them.
You can’t apply for work permit after submitting spousal sponsorship. You MUST send it with the application.

we tried

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020

I don’t think it works that way. I don’t think it will be reconsidered. But you are correct, the system is weird and unfair.

The condition that must be met to be eligible for the owp is that you must have a sponsorship application PROCESSING. You have a sponsorship application processing so you shouldn’t have had any problems.

I don’t really understand why people experience problems when they send the two applications separately. I spoke to an immigration consultant two years ago who explained it to me but I can’t remember what her explanation was.

To avoid problems, it’s best to send the two applications together to CPC Mississauga and if you are not able to send them together, you can apply for the owp after you receive AIP.

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
I don’t think it works that way. I don’t think it will be reconsidered. But you are correct, the system is weird and unfair.

The condition that must be met to be eligible for the owp is that you must have a sponsorship application PROCESSING. You have a sponsorship application processing so you shouldn’t have had any problems.

I don’t really understand why people experience problems when they send the two applications separately. I spoke to an immigration consultant two years ago who explained it to me but I can’t remember what her explanation was.

To avoid problems, it’s best to send the two applications together to CPC Mississauga and if you are not able to send them together, you can apply for the owp after you receive AIP.
Thanks for your message, it makes sense, the main reason of applying for owp was because I didn’t really think it was necessary in the beginning when I sent the PR application, but then changed my mind.

It just so happens that I received good news already for my PPR on Friday, my application has now reached the final stage according to my lawyer, the status update also changed on Saturday. I wasn’t sure if they work on weekends, but yeah my lawyer will be sending my passport on Monday.

So I really don’t think owp is necessary at this point. It’s been a long stressful wait since end of 2019.

Wishing anyone else waiting Goodluck to you all

Reactions: OverIt

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021

I did forgot to mention that I had been asked for Medical’s as well which was passed after I received AOR2

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
This actually isn’t true. If you speak to IRCC agents, they will tell you differently. You do not have to Mail them together. In 2019, when I was applying, I almost didn’t Mail them together as I was told by both the immigration consultant I spoke to AND an IRCC agent that I didn’t need to Mail them together.

I did end up mailing them together (Thank God) because I didn’t want to deal with applying for the owp later. I just wanted to get both applications sent in, done and over with.

I honestly don’t remember what you’re specifically supposed to do if you choose to send the applications in separately. Lucky, I think your mistake may have been sending the owp application straight to Edmonton without any way of linking it to your PR/sponsorship application. Like I said, I don’t think these offices share information as much as we would like them to.

I think It might have been better for you to apply for the OWP online after you had received AOR. You could have then included the AOR as an additional document in your online application. I’m not entirely sure of this. I would advise you to call IRCC. They will give you a more accurate answer.

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Thanks for your message, it makes sense, the main reason of applying for owp was because I didn’t really think it was necessary in the beginning when I sent the PR application, but then changed my mind.

It just so happens that I received good news already for my PPR on Friday, my application has now reached the final stage according to my lawyer, the status update also changed on Saturday. I wasn’t sure if they work on weekends, but yeah my lawyer will be sending my passport on Monday.

So I really don’t think owp is necessary at this point. It’s been a long stressful wait since end of 2019.

Wishing anyone else waiting Goodluck to you all
Oh I see. That is great ! I really hope everyone going through the process gets positive news soon ! It’s not an easy process at all but hopefully it will be rewarding in the end.

Hanedu

Star Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone. My husband got refusal for PR outland application on December 4th 2020. We have hired lawyer and she has send appeal form. What happens next? How long does it take to get Acknowledgement letter. I understand that the office at the court will request our file from IRCC in our country. Now with Covid 19 is everything send online? With Covid is all the process faster than before?
Thanks guys.

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
Hello everyone. My husband got refusal for PR outland application on December 4th 2020. We have hired lawyer and she has send appeal form. What happens next? How long does it take to get Acknowledgement letter. I understand that the office at the court will request our file from IRCC in our country. Now with Covid 19 is everything send online? With Covid is all the process faster than before?
Thanks guys.
Sorry to hear that...Hmm this one seems new, I have never known anyone that has PR refusal before,I think you can check this thread,seems they are talking about appeal:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-spouse-appeal-cases-come-here-and-join-us-plz.87619/page-1090#post-9130445

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

I think having a separate owp office in Edmonton are for those who apply for OWP after reaching AIP, such as those who are out of status and went back into status, as an example. or anyone who already had an OWP and needs an renew it,.