+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refund question, Application returned incomplete, resubmitting application.

risteigs

Mar 21, 2018
Hi there!
My Common-law in land sponsorship application was returned to me a few days ago because it was incomplete, due to me not including a police check.
The Check List states :
"The principal applicant must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with the application:
- current country of residence if you have lived there for six months or more.

and
- the country where you resided for most of your life since the age of 18."

I have lived in Canada for the last 6 years and since I was 17 years old, so I would only have to provide a Canadian police check.
The Check List also states:
“If you have lived in Canada for the last six months, or Canada is the country where you have lived for most of your life since the age of 18, police certificates for Canada are not required at this time. IRCC will make a request for a Canadian police certificate on your behalf. Check here if this applies to you.”

So I didn't include a police check when I sent in my application, not sure why they returned it.
Anyhow I went and got my Police Check done yesterday and am waiting for them to send it back to me.

The actual question here is:
They returned my application as incomplete, and my understanding is they will automatically issue a refund for my processing fees I paid. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get the refund? And any estimate on how long it takes to receive the police check from RCMP inland? Thank you so much in advance, I'm getting really frustrated just thinking about how much longer I'll have to wait to resubmit my application.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I may be misreading but you have only lived in Canada for the last 6 years?

I have lived in Canada since 2012 and am from the UK. They only wanted a UK police certificate from me.

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
My application was actually returned for the exact same reason: Not including the police certificate even though the guide made it seem like I didn't need to.
The checklist changed recently and now specifically states if you have spent most of your time in Canada since turning 18 it's not needed, but I think the wording might be wrong because multiple folks have been caught out by this recently.

At any rate, I got the UK Police cert, resubmitted (with the same receipt) and it was accepted this time around and I got AOR.

Last edited:

risteigs

Mar 21, 2018
I may be misreading but you have only lived in Canada for the last 6 years?

I have lived in Canada since 2012 and am from the UK. They only wanted a UK police certificate from me.
Yes, but I was 16 years old when I moved to Canada and have been living here ever since.
"The principal applicant must submit police certificates from the following country or countries with the application:
-current country of residence if you have lived there for six months or more.
and
- the country where you resided for most of your life since the age of 18."

so both of the above options would be Canada for me

risteigs

Mar 21, 2018
My application was actually returned for the exact same reason: Not including the police certificate even though the guide made it seem like I didn't need to.
The checklist changed recently and now specifically states if you have spent most of your time in Canada since turning 18 it's not needed, but I think the wording might be wrong because multiple folks have been caught out by this recently.

At any rate, I got the UK Police cert, resubmitted (with the same receipt) and it was accepted this time around and I got AOR.
Oh really? Good to know that it worked out for you that way, thank you so much for the reply ! :)

oshinz12

Mar 4, 2018

I have a gut feeling mine will be returned for the same reason. I didn't supply a police certificate from New Zealand. (I did send one when I applied for my IEC, but I doubt they'll go searching for that). Do I need to get in touch with New Zealand for a new one, or can I use the one I got for my IEC and submit with that. Since I haven't been in the country since that one was done. They take MONTHS to arrive.

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
I have a gut feeling mine will be returned for the same reason. I didn't supply a police certificate from New Zealand. (I did send one when I applied for my IEC, but I doubt they'll go searching for that). Do I need to get in touch with New Zealand for a new one, or can I use the one I got for my IEC and submit with that. Since I haven't been in the country since that one was done. They take MONTHS to arrive.
I'd apply for one proactively. The advice seems to switch between "as long as it's dated after the last time you visited" to "certificate must be less than 6 months old".

That's exactly what I did, even though the checklist stated I didn't need it I applied for it anyway just in case (and because I doubted the checklist could possibly be correct) so by the time my first app was returned I had it.