+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee travel document & working in a 3rd country

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
Hi, is it possible to leave Canada on RTD to work on a 3rd county while waiting for PR?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

I don't believe the RTD is meant for long term departure. According to the website, the validity period of the RTD is determined by the issuing office, so they will probably ask you why you need to leave Canada. If they accept your reason, like a vacation or family emergency, I would imagine they would only give you enough time to finish what you need to do. Recognized refugees can apply for a Canadian work permit to work in Canada, so I don't believe wanting to work outside of Canada would be an acceptable reason.

Reactions: Mars18

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
Thank you. But my travel purpose is mainly reuniting with family in a 3rd country while working and waiting for PR, isn't RTD issued for 2 years usually?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
...isn't RTD issued for 2 years usually?
Not according to the link I posted for you:

"Refugee travel document

We issue refugee travel documents to people in Canada with protected-person status. This includes:
  • Convention refugees
  • persons in need of protection
You can use a refugee travel document for travel to all countries, except your country of citizenship.

The issuing office decides the validity period."

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Technical limitation to stay out of Canada with RTD is 2 years. That means you can stay out for 2 years.

Be prepared to answer some important questions when you are coming back to Canada. Canadian Boarder Service officer may ask you to prove why you have stayed that long. As long as you have a valid and convincing answer you will be ok. Also do your best to keep proper documentation to prove your stay.

As @canuck78 explained, it is hard to find a country that will let you stay long term with RTD.

foreign11

Jan 29, 2020
Technical limitation to stay out of Canada with RTD is 2 years. That means you can stay out for 2 years.

Be prepared to answer some important questions when you are coming back to Canada. Canadian Boarder Service officer may ask you to prove why you have stayed that long. As long as you have a valid and convincing answer you will be ok. Also do your best to keep proper documentation to prove your stay.

As @canuck78 explained, it is hard to find a country that will let you stay long term with RTD.
I understood everybody i have a idea
For example:
I will go to Georgia and in Georgia stay with my origin country id I can stay with origin country id :)
After 4-5 month come back to Canada is there any problem for us ?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I am a protected person, I first applied for a RTD before getting my PR .Two years RTD validity was issued to me, right after my PR I applied for a new one and a five years RTD validity was issued to me. I got an offer in KSA with an oil and gas service company full time rotation position 8 weeks there and 8 weeks here. KSA embassy in Ottawa did not issue a one year work visitor visa to me and asked my sponsor to request a special visa authorization from KSA ministry of foreigner affairs. My sponsor withdrew their offer as that authorization usually takes 1 year and they did not want to wait that long. Before that I got another offer in Africa for the same company and one year work visa was issued and the offer was on rotation. I think you can work outside Canada with your RTD if the country you are going to work accepts RTD and the job is rotation shifts.I did ask IRCC for this and there is no issue, as long as the host country is willing to let you in and work. This is my own experience, I did not go to Africa as I had the same offer with the same company here in Canada right after the one year visa was issued.

• Love

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
Would add that most countries will not allow you stay longterm with an RTD or work.
I am a protected person, I first applied for a RTD before getting my PR .Two years RTD validity was issued to me, right after my PR I applied for a new one and a five years RTD validity was issued to me. I got an offer in KSA with an oil and gas service company full time rotation position 8 weeks there and 8 weeks here. KSA embassy in Ottawa did not issue a one year work visitor visa to me and asked my sponsor to request a special visa authorization from KSA ministry of foreigner affairs. My sponsor withdrew their offer as that authorization usually takes 1 year and they did not want to wait that long. Before that I got another offer in Africa for the same company and one year work visa was issued and the offer was on rotation. I think you can work outside Canada with your RTD if the country you are going to work accepts RTD and the job is rotation shifts.I did ask IRCC for this and there is no issue, as long as the host country is willing to let you in and work. This is my own experience, I did not go to Africa as I had the same offer with the same company here in Canada right after the one year visa was issued.
This is very helpful! Thank you. I think it would be great to have first hand information like this not just a random opinion.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
This is very helpful! Thank you. I think it would be great to have first hand information like this not just a random opinion.
I agreed, you need people who experienced this to tell you their story. In one word working out of Canada with a RTD will depend on your host country and nothing to do with IRCC approvals. But better get a rotation jobs.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
For example:
I will go to Georgia and in Georgia stay with my origin country id I can stay with origin country id :)
If you use your home country ID, that’s reavailment and you risk losing your refugee status and the opportunity for permanent residence. You should not be using or renewing your home country ID in any circumstance.

Reactions: canuck78 and Mars18

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For example:
Definitely do not do this. At all costs, you need to avoid using any IDs or passport from your country of origin. IRCC views this as reavailament, meaning you are no longer in need of refugee protection. Using IDs from your country of origin will put your refugee claim in jeopardy.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agreed, you need people who experienced this to tell you their story. In one word working out of Canada with a RTD will depend on your host country and nothing to do with IRCC approvals. But better get a rotation jobs.
Did mention that it usually depends on the other country vs, Canada.;) Many countries limit how long you can stay and if you can work.

Reactions: Das67

foreign11

Jan 29, 2020
Definitely do not do this. At all costs, you need to avoid using any IDs or passport from your country of origin. IRCC views this as reavailament, meaning you are no longer in need of refugee protection. Using IDs from your country of origin will put your refugee claim in jeopardy.
Do you know?
Which country use the RTD for stay long time