+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
I can include the photocopy of my PR card and ask the guarantor to sign it that he saw the original, my main question is what is the PR # to write in that Section 3 as the Document Number ? Is it the Alphanumeric stated at the back of PR card or what?
I think you need to send the original PR card, not the copy one that signed by your guarantee. yes, the number at the top, back of your PR card. for me, there is 2 capital letters and 7numbers.

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
I think you need to send the original PR card, not the copy one that signed by your guarantee. yes, the number at the top, back of your PR card. for me, there is 2 capital letters and 7numbers.
Is that the # that you wrote when you applied for yours? I just don't want them to return it if it's incorrect. Do I really need to mail the plastic card with the application?

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Is that the # that you wrote when you applied for yours? I just don't want them to return it if it's incorrect. Do I really need to mail the plastic card with the application?
actually, if you check the checklists, its mentioned that you need to send a copy of valid proof of immigration status to Canada, but i send the original card, so i think you are right you can send a copy of it signed by the guarantor. And yes it was the number I wrote.

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
actually, if you check the checklists, its mentioned that you need to send a copy of valid proof of immigration status to Canada, but i send the original card, so i think you are right you can send a copy of it signed by the guarantor. And yes it was the number I wrote.
Okay. How long did the process takes to get your RTD? I took a photograph back in late January 2021, I don't know if I should use it or not as they said it shouldn't be more than 6 months old.

Waqas006

Sep 4, 2019
Hi Everyone
First of all thanks for sharing your experiences. I have recently received my RTD and waiting for Pr. I haven't seen my family from long time and i want to meet them in Turkey as soon as possible. Does anyone know the requirements or recently travelled to turkey on RTD without Pr.
Secondly, I am also planning to get married in turkey with my fiancé as she will be travelling from Pakistan. We have been engaged from almost 3 years but cannot meet because of my status in Canada. What documents and things i should be aware of before getting married in turkey and coming back to canada.
This group is always helpful and i will really appreciate you guys sharing some information.
Thanks

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Hi Everyone
First of all thanks for sharing your experiences. I have recently received my RTD and waiting for Pr. I haven't seen my family from long time and i want to meet them in Turkey as soon as possible. Does anyone know the requirements or recently travelled to turkey on RTD without Pr.
Secondly, I am also planning to get married in turkey with my fiancé as she will be travelling from Pakistan. We have been engaged from almost 3 years but cannot meet because of my status in Canada. What documents and things i should be aware of before getting married in turkey and coming back to canada.
This group is always helpful and i will really appreciate you guys sharing some information.
Thanks
You will not be able to Register your marriage in Turkey if you and your fiance will both on Visitor visa 8n Turkey.

Reactions: Waqas006

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
What should I do in order to get married and file her application as i can not travel to my home country.
You can do it in Saudi Arabia, ( Still make sure yo confirm from them as the laws alwayschang ).. otherwise your Fiance need to get a Residence Visa for Turkey or any other country in order to get marriage Registered.

Waqas006

Sep 4, 2019
You can do it in Saudi Arabia, ( Still make sure yo confirm from them as the laws alwayschang ).. otherwise your Fiance need to get a Residence Visa for Turkey or any other country in order to get marriage Registered.
I heard that Saudi Arabia do not give visas for refugee travel
Document holders.

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Hi Everyone
Thanks
Were you able to get 2yr or 5yrs validity RTD ?

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Hi Everyone
Thanks
how long did it take for u to receive your RTD after the submission of application?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hi Everyone
Thanks
Personally my first step would be to contact the Turkish embassy in Ottawa to make sure that a person with refugee status in Canada can get married in Turkey.

Canada.ca listed common documents to get married abroad:
Marriage documents
The documents you will need to get married outside of Canada will depend on your circumstances and the country where you plan to get married. Before you travel, please contact the embassy, high commission, or consulate of the country where you plan to get married to determine what documents you will need.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident planning to marry abroad, local authorities may ask for documents such as a:
You may need to have the documents translated into the language of the country where the marriage will take place. You may also need to have the documents authenticated in Canada and/or stamped by a consular official of the country where you will get married. Authentication proves that the signature and the seal on the document are genuine.
But you might be asked to provide more or less documents than someone who can access their home country services.

You would also need to apply for Turkish visa (you cannot get eVisa with RTD).

Your future spouse should start working on her docs, she also needs to contact the Turkish embassy in Pakistan to get the required documents.

Remember: The marriage has to be conducted as a civil ceremony not a religious ceremony, otherwise Canada won't acknowledge the marriage.

I hope people here have more information, but once again you should contact the Turkish embassy as soon as possible.

Good luck

Reactions: Waqas006

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
Has anyone experienced this when mailing RTD application to Quebec and it got delivered to Ottawa, Ontario somehow, how is that possible?