+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
This is not true. Don't put fear in people's mind. Your rtd is a guaranteed entry to Canada you don't need pr, but you just shouldn't be traveling right now due to the pandemic.
I am following what’s written in this cic help center article. It says to return to Canada as pr you need to have your pr card otherwise you have to apply for a permanent resident travel document from outside the country.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Again, this is not true. Even before I became pr, I traveled with my rtd and no questions were asked. Pr or no pr card, your travel document is enough to guarantee your return to Canada at any point.
I as well traveled while waiting for my pr, but as someone mentioned once you become pr your status changes from protected person to permanent resident. Personally i will trust the cic article and not travel before i have my card since the article is very clear... and it is up to you as well to make a decision to travel if you feel you can comeback in with no issues. My comment was just to share my personal knowledge to help people avoid potential issues. at the end of the day, we all take our own decisions.

Reactions: Ratmir

Ngarii

Nov 19, 2020
I as well traveled while waiting for my pr, but as someone mentioned once you become pr your status changes from protected person to permanent resident. Personally i will trust the cic article and not travel before i have my card since the article is very clear... and it is up to you as well to make a decision to travel if you feel you can comeback in with no issues. My comment was just to share my personal knowledge to help people avoid potential issues. at the end of the day, we all take our own decisions.
One thing I won't subscribe to is fear mongering. You becoming a permanent residence doesn't change your status as a protected person or refugee until you become a citizen. Hence, you still can't go to your country, you can't renew your home country passport. Your rtd is the only document you can travel with, plus if you have your pr card or irb acceptance letter. Protected persons cannot be denied entry unless if the post a risk to the society. The op asked if he/she can travel while waiting for pr and your response was "absolutely no", yet you claimed that you've traveled many times while waiting for your pr. You seems to be contradicting yourself.

Ryan4

Nov 27, 2020
He didn't say you can't travel. he simply said once you are a pr, you need your pr card to entire Canada. or board any commercial vehicle.. so don't travel until you get it so it will be less of a hassle or to avoid delays returning to Canada.
Lol. There is a difference between a hassle and a denial. If you took a minute to read my post you would actually read that I said it’s better not to travel until you get your citizenship blah blah blah. However, does that mean we can’t travel? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You can absolutely travel. It’s just better, obviously, to remain in Canada to avoid questions and repetitive background checks. As for you saying, “he didn’t say you can’t travel” lol read his post again. As for the CIC link, it’s for PR holders with their national passport “not protected persons” (in their case, the PR works as a visa to allow them entry into Canada). We, Protected Persons, have our RTD and that’s what gets us in and out of Canada not our PR card. Just a little bit of common sense.

Love,
Nas

Reactions: Fadros

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Lol. There is a difference between a hassle and a denial. If you took a minute to read my post you would actually read that I said it’s better not to travel until you get your citizenship blah blah blah. However, does that mean we can’t travel? ABSOLUTELY NOT. You can absolutely travel. It’s just better, obviously, to remain in Canada to avoid questions and repetitive background checks. As for you saying, “he didn’t say you can’t travel” lol read his post again. As for the CIC link, it’s for PR holders with their national passport “not protected persons” (in their case, the PR works as a visa to allow them entry into Canada). We, Protected Persons, have our RTD and that’s what gets us in and out of Canada not our PR card. Just a little bit of common sense.

Love,
Nas
Lol. If YOU took the time out to read his post, he recommended not travel until you get your card. He didn't say you can't, he said don't. I think the common sense you have, you can understand the difference between those words right?:) but hey reading and understanding is "just a little bit of common sense" that YOU and I and others on the forum lack from time to time. or simple misunderstandings might be the answer. Like you just showed yourself :D so yes "he didn't say you can't travel" he said "just remember that to get back to Canada you absolutely need your pr card so DONT travel "before getting it" so why don't you go back and read it again and use common sense I think you have :).I know what RTD is used for travel document in the name :rolleyes: and I know PR card is just to get into Canada or can be used for ID. And you just did what he did.
You are free to travel and go about as a protected person and even after PR... The only reason why people suggest "it's better not to travel until citizenship" it's because that's what they are concerned about the more you travel, the longer before you can apply. Being questioned or repetitive backgrounds check only happen depending on where you traveled and also the agent you may run across, nothing with being a protected person and traveling. If that is what you are implying that is. I know persons personally who travel ALOT as claimants, protected persons, and PR, and no issues and they are all citizens now... and just like how he wasn't entirely wrong. you aren't entirely right. as for the CIC Link it can also be for PR holders are protected persons with their national passport who uses it to travel. As I said he wasn't entirely wrong just parts of the statement didn't strictly apply to protected people with Pr.. and yes i said hassle vs denial. As a PR now, depending on the type of form it gives you a list to select for your immigration status. I doubt people will be selecting conventional refugees or protected persons anymore. So I am saying if you select that you are PR and if they ask for documentation supporting your immigration status if you have your pr Card it might be less of a hassle or could avoid potential delays...

Preciate the snarky and sarcastic reply;), Bye now.
P.s. No need to respond. It's above me now lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghess23

Ryan4

Nov 27, 2020
Lol. If YOU took the time out to read his post, he recommended not travel until you get your card. He didn't say you can't, he said don't. I think the common sense you have, you can understand the difference between those words right?:) but hey reading and understanding is "just a little bit of common sense" that YOU and I and others on the forum lack from time to time. or simple misunderstandings might be the answer. Like you just showed yourself :D so yes "he didn't say you can't travel" he said "just remember that to get back to Canada you absolutely need your pr card so DONT travel "before getting it" so why don't you go back and read it again and use common sense I think you have :).I know what RTD is used for travel document in the name :rolleyes: and I know PR card is just to get into Canada or can be used for ID. And you just did what he did.
You are free to travel and go about as a protected person and even after PR... The only reason why people suggest "it's better not to travel until citizenship" it's because that's what they are concerned about the more you travel, the longer before you can apply. Being questioned or repetitive backgrounds check only happen depending on where you traveled and also the agent you may run across, nothing with being a protected person and traveling. If that is what you are implying that is. I know persons personally who travel ALOT as claimants, protected persons, and PR, and no issues and they are all citizens now... and just like how he wasn't entirely wrong. you aren't entirely right. as for the CIC Link it can also be for PR holders are protected persons with their national passport who uses it to travel. As I said he wasn't entirely wrong just parts of the statement didn't strictly apply to protected people with Pr.. and yes i said hassle vs denial. As a PR now, depending on the type of form it gives you a list to select for your immigration status. I doubt people will be selecting conventional refugees or protected persons anymore. So I am saying if you select that you are PR and if they ask for documentation supporting your immigration status if you have your pr Card it might be less of a hassle or could avoid potential delays...

Preciate the snarky and sarcastic reply;), Bye now.
P.s. No need to respond. It's above me now lol.
Bro honestly just stop repeating what I keep saying lol but I appreciate though. Plus stop contradicting yourself. He said “to get back to Canada you absolutely need your pr card” and that’s just entirely wrong. As for Protected persons using their national passport lol. I guess we’re passed this. OBVIOUSLY he was talking about traveling with RTD. If you wanna bring up refugees using their national passport I would sincerely suggest you to open a new thread for that lol cause that’s just a different story.

The bottom line is: if you’re a protected person waiting for your PR Card, you can ABSOLUTELY travel with your REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT and ENTER BACK INTO CANADA.

love,
Nas

Reactions: Fadros

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
hi everyone, i am currently a protected/conventional refugee in canada, i have a valid travel document, but it will expire on november, and im planing to go abroad on july, which will be valid for less than 6 months at the time, so i think i need to renew my travel document since the country im planing to go( turky) requires a travel document to be valid at least for 6motnhes from the entrance day, anyway. will i need to do the exact same procedures? the guarantor and the same documents need to be send by mail i mean. and how long it would take? thank you in advance for any help

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
hi everyone, i am currently a protected/conventional refugee in canada, i have a valid travel document, but it will expire on november, and im planing to go abroad on july, which will be valid for less than 6 months at the time, so i think i need to renew my travel document since the country im planing to go( turky) requires a travel document to be valid at least for 6motnhes from the entrance day, anyway. will i need to do the exact same procedures? the guarantor and the same documents need to be send by mail i mean. and how long it would take? thank you in advance for any help
Yes, same everything.

If your reason for travel isn't urgent there's unfortunately no guarantee that they'll approve the application on time.

Reactions: hamasi

SarMary

Mar 5, 2021
Hi every one,
My canadian citizenship is due now and I have to submit my form.
My home country passport was kept in Gatineau QC office, exchanged with the travel document.
What shall I write in a form about passport, in the explanation section? passport was also expired.

Thanks.

Fadros

Dec 4, 2020
ottom line is: if you’re a protected person waiting for your PR Card, you can ABSOLUTELY travel with your REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT and ENTER BACK INTO CANADA.
He isn't entirely wrong. yes, you are still a protected person but now you first are a PR. Anything you do now, your immigration status is a permanent resident. if you go to board the plane or at a port of entry and they ask your immigration status in Canada you say PR they ask for proof you can't show a RTD, you need to show your PR card... And that is the rule if you are a PR you need a PR card or PRTD to enter back Canada.
@Yuki.03 isn't RTD and PRTD the same thing? I don't think there are two types of travel documents.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
@Yuki.03 isn't RTD and PRTD the same thing? I don't think there are two types of travel documents.
PRTD is actually a PR visa that will be attached to your passport, not a Travel document by itself and usually is good for one entry. You would need a (1) Valid travel document (such as passport) and (2) to be outside Canads (3) without your PR card to get this document. On the other hand, RTDs are a Travel document that the government issues to (1) eligible people like refugees, who (2) are inside Canada.

Here's more information about the PRTD process