+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Zulubia

Oct 1, 2020
Is there any list of countries we could visit with a RTD without Visa?
There is no official list as the RTD is not that common around the world but I can confirm that you can visit Germany and Slovakia without a visa. I have also heard about people travelling to Cuba without a visa.
But you can't visit United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Spain, and Portugal because these countries don't recognize RTD. It is always best to contact the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to in order to avoid problems. Good luck.

Reactions: Armaani

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
There is no official list as the RTD is not that common around the world but I can confirm that you can visit Germany and Slovakia without a visa. I have also heard about people travelling to Cuba without a visa.
But you can't visit United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Spain, and Portugal because these countries don't recognize RTD. It is always best to contact the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to in order to avoid problems. Good luck.
Spain & Portugal do recognize Refugee Travel document (1951 Convention travel document) as both countries are parties to this convention. You might be thinking about
Certificate of Identity (the gray travel document) which is indeed not recognized by Spain, and Portugal will only recognize it for exiting or transiting to return to the place of residence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zulubia

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
Any updates regarding RTD
Hi, I haven't received any calls after submitting my application. However, today $120 was deducted from my credit card. Does it mean they are processing my RTD?
If anyone has any information on what to expect after the payment is made,please let me know.

Farishta Karimi

Sep 21, 2020
First check following website about urgent travel document application:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#travel-document

Then:
Get urgent refugee travel document or certificate of identity services
Fill out the IRCC Web form:
  • select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services
Do not forget to include the explenation letter from your mother's doctor. And try to explain your reason to be with your mother clearly.

After 3 to 5 business day IRCC will contact you if they deem your situation is urgent and refer your case to urgent travel document application department. Someone from travel document department will be contacting you about your application and will ask to mail the application package. From there it is all regular RTD application process.

It may take more then a week to process your RTD application and another week to receive your RTD.
hi, I submitted my application last week and provided them with my credit card details. Today, the fee was deducted from my account. Does it mean they are processing my application?
I haven't received any calls after submitted the application.Please let me know if you have any information regarding it.

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
hi, I submitted my application last week and provided them with my credit card details. Today, the fee was deducted from my account. Does it mean they are processing my application?
I haven't received any calls after submitted the application.Please let me know if you have any information regarding it.
No updates from my side

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
I got my Travel Document yesterday, I need to sign it. Should I put my signature or write my name as signature? As per the passport website, I should sign my name in ink. Would appreciate to have your feedback. thank you.

Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
I got my Travel Document yesterday, I need to sign it. Should I put my signature or write my name as signature? As per the passport website, I should sign my name in ink. Would appreciate to have your feedback. thank you.
I think you should write your full name, but it doesn’t makes any difference whether to sign or write name, it’s the same. When did I apply for RTD ?

Onetv1

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Hi, I haven't received any calls after submitting my application. However, today $120 was deducted from my credit card. Does it mean they are processing my RTD?
If anyone has any information on what to expect after the payment is made,please let me know.
Good news!! They are processing your travel document and don’t expect a call from them you didn’t apply via webform you’ve applied through by mail. Expect travel document in the mail soon.