+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I am PR in Canada since 8 months. I enter canada under Private Sponser refugee.
My question
Can I travel outside canada (I have RTD)? Is it effect the people who sponser me or my status in canada?
Please give me clear answer? Without recommendation:)
You sponsorship group may stop providing you money if you plan on travelling. I am not sure how long you plan on leaving. An RTD is not accepted in many countries. You can not use your home country passport. The sponsorship groups goal is to try and get you integrated into Canada and become independent. You will have to speak to them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi friends,a quick question,im a protecet person in canada,i just apply for travel document,my question is,can i get usa visa with travel document as i am iranian?you may know the trave ban against iranian citizen, i got usa visa about 4years ago before president trump with my back home passport,can i get visa wth the travel document now?
Believe you are still banned.

Reactions: hamasi

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi friends,a quick question,im a protecet person in canada,i just apply for travel document,my question is,can i get usa visa with travel document as i am iranian?you may know the trave ban against iranian citizen, i got usa visa about 4years ago before president trump with my back home passport,can i get visa wth the travel document now?
If you're a permanent resident then you might be eligible for a waiver. I know friends from banned countries who are PR and were able to get visitor visas to the US, although it's never guaranteed. If you're not yet a PR I would suggest that you wait until you become one, unless any of the other waiver situations apply to you.
I found this on the US Department of State's website:

"Are there special rules for permanent residents of Canada?

Waivers may not be granted categorically to any group of nationals of the seven countries who are subject to visa restrictions pursuant to the Proclamation, but waivers may be appropriate in individual circumstances, on a case-by-case basis. The Proclamation lists several circumstances in which case-by-case waivers may be appropriate. That list includes foreign nationals who are Canadian permanent residents who apply for visas at a U.S. consular section in Canada. Canadian permanent residents should bring proof of their status to a consular officer."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/presidential-proclamation-archive/june_26_supreme_court_decision_on_presidential_proclamation9645.html

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you're a permanent resident then you might be eligible for a waiver. I know friends from banned countries who are PR and were able to get visitor visas to the US, although it's never guaranteed. If you're not yet a PR I would suggest that you wait until you become one, unless any of the other waiver situations apply to you.

Waivers may not be granted categorically to any group of nationals of the seven countries who are subject to visa restrictions pursuant to the Proclamation, but waivers may be appropriate in individual circumstances, on a case-by-case basis. The Proclamation lists several circumstances in which case-by-case waivers may be appropriate. That list includes foreign nationals who are Canadian permanent residents who apply for visas at a U.S. consular section in Canada. Canadian permanent residents should bring proof of their status to a consular officer."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/presidential-proclamation-archive/june_26_supreme_court_decision_on_presidential_proclamation9645.html

Good luck!
Not a PR yet based on their post.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
If a travel document was issued for two years cuz I was a protected person at the time I applied for it, and later I became a permanent resident, will I be able to renew it?

Cuz I know PR holders get it valid for five years instead of two.

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
I figured as long as i am neither pr nor citizen,i womt able to qualify for a tourist visa,
On the other hand,my girl friend,she is on green card in usa,can i bring her here to canada by marriage? She is about to get her us citizenship,but i want to bring her here to toronto.
As u know im a protected person and just got approved.

Good luck!

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
I figured as long as i am neither pr nor citizen,i womt able to qualify for a tourist visa,
On the other hand,my girl friend,she is on green card in usa,can i bring her here to canada by marriage? She is about to get her us citizenship,but i want to bring her here to toronto.
As u know im a protected person and just got approved.
Unfortunately in your situation you can't sponsor your girlfriend to come to Canada as an immigrant. Since your girlfriend is a green card holder, she doesn't need to go through the regular visa application procedure to come visit Canada; she will need to apply for an ETA online (usually processed within few hours, but she will need a valid travel document to apply). Keep in mind if her request is approved, she will only be able to stay in Canada as a visitor for a maximum period of 6 months at one time.
In the future, once your PR is approved and if you got married to your girlfriend, you will be able to sponsor her as an immigrant to come to Canada permanently. You might also need to provide proof such as photos and what not, showing that your relationship is legitimate.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Reactions: hamasi

Sally8376

Jun 20, 2017
Hello, I am a PR and wanna renew my RTD.
Do I still need to send all the docs; find 1 guarantor and 2 references...? They already saw these ones before!
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I am a PR and wanna renew my RTD.
Do I still need to send all the docs; find 1 guarantor and 2 references...? They already saw these ones before!
Thanks
Yes you have to submit another application. Look at the website all the information is there.

istmtl

Nov 6, 2018
Hello all,

I wanted to share my personal experience with RTD entering Bosnia. It was very smooth at the border. You can stay up to 6 months in one year. I connected in Munich to be at the safe side.

Thanks

Sowar shaheen

Jul 8, 2019
Hi
I want to help
I am now living in Syria and I can not live here anymore. I started studying to work and now I can not work. I do not even finish my studies. I tried very hard to apply to international organizations to get me out of here. But I want to came to Canada and live there. I am now in Syria
Please Help

Last edited:

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Hello all,

I wanted to share my personal experience with RTD entering Bosnia. It was very smooth at the border. You can stay up to 6 months in one year. I connected in Munich to be at the safe side.

Thanks
without visa?

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Hey guys, for people who went to Germany with canadian RTD, what do they stamp on your passport and i heard contradictory things on whether you can or cant visit schengen area, some people say its not legal some people say that it's legal and they were even able to fly between schengen countries. Any ideas? issue is I am in Toronto and its too late to apply for french visa, any quicker options/visas?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys, for people who went to Germany with canadian RTD, what do they stamp on your passport and i heard contradictory things on whether you can or cant visit schengen area, some people say its not legal some people say that it's legal and they were even able to fly between schengen countries. Any ideas? issue is I am in Toronto and its too late to apply for french visa, any quicker options/visas?
You need a visa to enter France on a RTD. They used to not check IDs when travelling between Schengen countries. Due to asylum seekers wanting to get to other countries there is a lot more ID checks so you risk being refused entry to other countries when travelling from a Germany. At this point it doesn’t seem like you have any other options if you haven’t applied for visas.

Reactions: Ghess23