+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Anyone travelled VIA france before with RTD?

Will there be problems changing flights/ few hours layover because of RTD?

any info I should know before hand?

Most of these info is online but its a bit more reassuring from someone that’s actually been through the rigmarole

thanks
Transited through CDG even before I got PR. I encountered no problem of any sort.

kkbor010

Jan 15, 2021
Hi, what documents do I need rather than RTD when I am travelling outside of Canada . I don’t have PR yet , just applied . Will i have any issue at the Canadian boarder or RTD would be enough to enter Canada ?

Rekferiri

Mar 1, 2023
Hi, what documents do I need rather than RTD when I am travelling outside of Canada . I don’t have PR yet , just applied . Will i have any issue at the Canadian boarder or RTD would be enough to enter Canada ?
your rtd is enough, i just came back from europe and the immigration agent only asked me for my rtd

Reactions: kkbor010

Kaku04

Aug 11, 2018
I created this topic to share my knowledge and experience with all of you. I will try to answer some important questions and concerns regarding travel as a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person living in Canada.

I’m not a lawyer, just a person who likes clarity. I am very proud to call Canada my new home. I want continue traveling and explore the world, but at the same time stay I want to stay mindful, and avoid doing anything wrong that would compromise my PR or Refugee status here. Some terms are below being simplified.

As most of you know, when you make your refugee claim, your passport is being seized by CIC or CBSA.

When my refugee claim was accepted I discovered that there are certain things we are not advised to do:

• Do not travel back to your home country
• Do not renew your home country’s passport.
• Do not travel on your home country’s passport, even to a third country, such as USA for example
• Just simply don’t have any contact with embassy of your home country.

All those things could put you at risk of losing your refugee status, because CBSA may interpret those actions as you no longer fear your home country, so you no longer need Canada’s protection.

I am not able to specify which law applies here and so on, but I know for sure that there are legal cases in which government took action and stripped or tried to strip person’s protection because they did one of above mentioned things.

Also it’s a matter of interpreting the law, so I think we should take those warnings seriously, it’s our lives and protection we are talking about.

If you want to get more information, I would suggest checking out Canadian Council for Refugees and other websites.

After I received a positive decision on my refugee claim, soon I applied for RTD and was able to get it. It says that the RTD validity period is determined by the issuing office. In my case it was issued for 2 years. I personally know at least four other cases, where people applied for RTD before becoming PRs and received it also for 2 years. So I guess it’s safe to assume that majority of people, before PR will get it for 2 years.

When I was applied for it, I noticed that on application form it says: “I understand that if I am issued a Canadian travel document and later obtain a passport issued by my country of citizenship, I am obliged to return the Canadian travel document to Passport Program, Citizenship and Immigration Canada.”

Obviously I started to get worried, because once I become a PR, CIC will return my national passport and in theory I must return RTD. I will have no choice, but to use my national passport to travel, but I don’t want to do that! What should I do?!

After more than two years, I got my PR interview, I got my passport back, at the end of my interview I decided to ask officer in person about my RTD dilemma.

So I did, I called them and I talked with call center agent at first, and explained my situation:

So finally after several minutes of back and forth, agent agreed to put a special call back request directly from “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” located in Gatineau, QC.

Next day I received a call and talked with a senior officer from that department, I explained my situation to him and finally I got the missing peace of a puzzle.

Some important points and additional information:

• As a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person in Canada we do have a right to travel.

• In order to be able to travel internationally, we must have a valid Travel Document.

• The only Travel Document we entitled to is a Refugee Travel Document, forget about Certificate of Identity

• In order to apply for RTD you need to use an application form “[PPTC 190] Adult travel document application form”, form is universal and is used to apply for both – RTD and COI.

• After becoming a Permanent Resident, you are still considered to have a refugee status in Canada

• RTD issued for 2 years before PR and after becoming PR for 5 years

• If you got your national passport back when you became PR, do not use it, instead send it to “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program” along with your explanation letter

Travel Document - is an identity document issued by a government and allowing us to travel internationally. Generally, Travel Documents look like a passport-like booklets. The most common Travel Document is a Passport.

Government of Canada has a special department responsible for issuing Travel Documents for Refugees and Stateless Persons, and it’s called: “Certificate of Identity Section - Passport Program”, located in Gatineau, QC

That department is issuing two types of a Travel Documents:

1. Refugee Travel Document (light blue) (United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, 1951 and its Protocol of 1967): issued to persons in Canada with protected person status, including Convention refugees and persons in need of protection

2. Certificate of identity (grey or formerly brown): issued to permanent residents of Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens, who are stateless or who are unable to obtain a national passport.

Personally I would advise everyone including myself, travel only using RTD, we shouldn’t put ourselves at risk. Getting RTD for 5 years is a great solution and hopefully by the time we need to renew it, we will have our Canadian Citizenship :)

I will mention it again, I am not a lawyer, just sharing summary of my findings with you. If you have additional questions or information, you are welcome to ask and contribute.
Great job....I have one concern. I just got my RTD but I am still waiting for my PR card ,as I am a truck driver my company wanted me to drive to USA for them now . I go through the usa avisa application they require lot of information like any criminal case and have you wver been arrested. What information should provide them? Please help me with this.
Thanks and Regards

ThommyAm

Jun 7, 2023
Hi, what documents do I need rather than RTD when I am travelling outside of Canada . I don’t have PR yet , just applied . Will i have any issue at the Canadian boarder or RTD would be enough to enter Canada ? I wanna go to Cuba, thanks.

Rekferiri

Mar 1, 2023
Hi, what documents do I need rather than RTD when I am travelling outside of Canada . I don’t have PR yet , just applied . Will i have any issue at the Canadian boarder or RTD would be enough to enter Canada ? I wanna go to Cuba, thanks.
your rtd is enough to renter canada, i took my NOD with me just in case but they never asked for it

Reactions: Melsi and ThommyAm

JasonReyes

Jun 19, 2023
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PR approval letter, and do they send it by email or mail it to you?

My application status changed to decision made 2 days ago, but I haven't gotten any emails or information about it.

Reactions: moealz

moealz

Star Member
May 9, 2022
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PR approval letter, and do they send it by email or mail it to you?

My application status changed to decision made 2 days ago, but I haven't gotten any emails or information about it.
when did you apply to the pr ?
good luck

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
Hello everyone.

Congratulations

You can see directly If you have connected GC key.
You will get email for PR confirmation

Talk to Lawyer / consultant if he is doing on your behalf.

roopani

Jun 14, 2017
One Quick Question please anyone reply and help me.
After Canadian Citizenship, i can go back home.
Please help
Thanks

md.ali22

Star Member
May 2, 2023
My Non- urgent RTD timeline: 2023
April 5, 2023 - send package
April 6, 2023 - Gatineau office received my application package.
July 14, 2023 - Canada post Notice card and same day I picked up my RTD from Canada post office.

Reactions: betterlife999

qxoil

Feb 25, 2010
My Non- urgent RTD timeline: 2023
April 5, 2023 - send package
April 6, 2023 - Gatineau office received my application package.
July 14, 2023 - Canada post Notice card and same day I picked up my RTD from Canada post office.
Congrats
Is it new one or still
Old book ?