+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

hassiko

Aug 19, 2021
Hey guys! I applied rtd 2 years ago and I’m still waiting it . I called the agent and they flagged it as a urgent. My travel date is may25th . One of the officer told me that you should receive it before the flight.If I don't receive it, should I apply again?

Last edited:

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
I am sharing my Time Line for RTD on Normal way

Applied RTD - March 27, 2022
Sent 3 web forms as reminder in 2022 after GAP of every 3-4 months
Sent 3 web forms in 2023 mentioning I wanted to travel in one month
Finally I received Note from Canada Post on May 04, 2023
Collected RTD from Canada Post May 11, 2023

Salshe

Aug 1, 2022
Ontario
Category........
Other
You do not need visa to Mexico with your Canadian RTD. I went there at least 10 times in the past 4 years, so book your trip and go :)
Also, you don’t need it for Cuba, Bermuda, and Dominican Republic - 100% confirmed as I have travelled there before with my RTD.

In addition to that, there are a few European countries in the Schengen zone that waive a visa requirement for the RTD holders - Germany is one of them. 100% confirmed. Also, Italy has recently joined this list - I have applied for the visa to Italy, but they closed my application and said I no longer need a Schengen visa if I’m a RTD holder. Those are the countries I can speak for.
But there are more - I’ve heard Slovenia, Slovakia, and Hungry are in that list too, but I would double check with their embassies just in case.
when you went Mexico , Were you PR ?

Fleabag23

Mar 29, 2023
Hi everyone,
I’m curious, has anyone applied recently for urgent processing of the RTD and they were asked to apply via the epost link? I want to know if they still do that. Thanks.

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I’m curious, has anyone applied recently for urgent processing of the RTD and they were asked to apply via the epost link? I want to know if they still do that. Thanks.
My Friend applied RTD non urgent on April 19, 2023
He got in 10 /11 Business days ( rcvd on May 05, 2023 )
( direct mail from Canada post )

toecyne

Dec 7, 2022
Anyone travelled VIA france before with RTD?

Will there be problems changing flights/ few hours layover because of RTD?

any info I should know before hand?

Most of these info is online but its a bit more reassuring from someone that’s actually been through the rigmarole

thanks

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
Thank you but was he asked to apply via an epost link or he mailed the application in?
May be I was not able to explain you in my previous reply.

Step one - sent completed form ( RTD APPLICATION- non urgent ) on April 17 or 18, 2023

Step two - received directly one envelope containing RTD at given address on May 05, 2023

Onejourney

Oct 21, 2021
Good day House. Pls I have 2 kids(minors), both US Citizens. When I filed for our refugee claims, all our passports (I had a Nigerian passport while both kids hold American passports) were seized as per RPD procedure. Now I am a protected person because my claim was accepted while theirs was not. I have just submitted a PR application in which I included them as applicants. The issue now is that I want to travel to the UK with my kids for a few days this summer and I need to apply for a Refugee Travel document like I was told. But my question is, how can I travel with my kids? Can I apply for the same travel document for them even though they are not protected persons? If not, which travel documents can they use since their passports are still in the possession of RPD. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I dont think they cannot travel until they get PR. How would they reenter Canada? Maybe schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer to see what your options are. Also request the return of their passports.

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Are we allowed to transit in Poland with an RTD? I found some cheap tickets on LOT airlines but wasn't sure if can transit there. If anyone can share their experience that would be great.

Onur33

May 30, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have RTD / no PR. I’m planning to travel to Latvia to see my brother. Then we are planning to visit some of Europe countries. Are we allowed that? Do I need a Schengen visa? Thanks.

Reactions: Cank3

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Helloooo I gave. Question
Can a refugee travel to home country after Citizenship and getting passport
Yes, after Canadian citizenship. Not before.