+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Europe. More specifically Austria
There is a kind of agreement between the Republic of Germany and Austria, the website of the German consulate officially provides information on the procedures for the two countries. This link from the German consulate gives the answer to your question, and provides information in a table on the conditions of entry into Germany and Austria, for holders of blue 1951 convention documents, or holders of identity certificates. Yes, you will need a visa according to the simplified table. The official iata verification tool confirms the same thing:

https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/consular-services/visa/convention-refugees/1308202

Also, outside the table, it is clearly stated:

Holders of a blue Canadian Travel Document (Convention of July 28th, 1951) do not need a visa for transit and/or short term stay (e.g. for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days) in Germany. The travel document must be valid for at least 4 months counting from the date of entering Germany. It is recommended to book a direct flight to Germany without transiting through other Schengen countries. If you do transit through other Schengen countries, you have to apply for a visa at the Consulate at the specific country. For example, if you are travelling to Austria you have to apply for a visa.

Of course, it can be ''tempting'' to land in Germany, then to take a train or a bus in the schengen free zone... Except that the stamp you will have will only be valid in Germany. If you get checked in Austria without a visa, you risk being arrested + paying a fine + being returned either from where you came from or to Canada directly (this can also be considered an offence, and affect your future application for Canadian citizenship)

Here is a concrete case of someone who had tried to return to Switzerland from Germany by train with a Canadian RTD blue document convention 1951:

Moreover, there is an official document updated frequently by the European Commission, which indicates all the types of documents by issuing country, the countries of the European Union which accept them or not as documents... and those which grant or not a right visa-free entry. I'll look it up and post the link asap.

AwesomeDoer

Feb 9, 2023
I appreciate God, I came back from work yesterday to meet the RTD I applied for last year in December, delivered. I am set to tour US and Africa now, been 3years here. I applied online, printed the documents out, purchased a money order at the post office and posted via same Canadapost with a registered mail. Everything cost me approximately $150. When the document arrived, I saw that it was processed since 31st January. I thank God.

cy21

Jun 9, 2020
It’s difficult for find a professional guarantor, my family doctor let me to find my lawyer, my lawyer told me to find my family doctor. Can someone please help me?

Jok Sue

Star Member
Nov 2, 2020
It’s difficult for find a professional guarantor, my family doctor let me to find my lawyer, my lawyer told me to find my family doctor. Can someone please help me?
I used to be in the same boat and not being able to find a guarantor has held me back from applying for a RTD for like a year.
Find any attorney general in your city or online and they will sign and seal the application for a fee. Did mine for $30.
It's a lot simpler than you think. Good luck!

Reactions: cy21

cy21

Jun 9, 2020
I used to be in the same boat and not being able to find a guarantor has held me back from applying for a RTD for like a year.
Find any attorney general in your city or online and they will sign and seal the application for a fee. Did mine for $30.
It's a lot simpler than you think. Good luck!
Can you explain in detail how to find an attorney general? I read on the Internet that you can complete the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form when you cannot find a guarantor. but how to do it? anybody kowns and share the experiences. Thank you

alidw

Aug 28, 2022
I appreciate God, I came back from work yesterday to meet the RTD I applied for last year in December, delivered. I am set to tour US and Africa now, been 3years here. I applied online, printed the documents out, purchased a money order at the post office and posted via same Canadapost with a registered mail. Everything cost me approximately $150. When the document arrived, I saw that it was processed since 31st January. I thank God.
Was it an urgent request?

031_guy

Star Member
Feb 17, 2022
Can you explain in detail how to find an attorney general? I read on the Internet that you can complete the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form when you cannot find a guarantor. but how to do it? anybody kowns and share the experiences. Thank you

I did it.

Just fill in that form and take it to an authorised commissioner of oath to sign it. They usually are found in your city hall.

Reactions: cy21

Oscarsunil

Star Member
Jan 5, 2021
I submitted my and my family members application in the month of February 2022 in a normal process and I submitted my proof of payment as well with the application package, there is no update till now on my processing, now after almost one year I got my fees refunded into my account, what should I expect?

Reactions: moealz

M.Alii

Feb 19, 2023
Hi, Last Friday i have received email from IRCC
AOR letter number start with G...... , Spouse Biometric and additional documents request .But I am unable to link it with my Gckey account and also unable to check status online. Please guide

cyberlink

Aug 10, 2020
Hey guys, did you send any documents for proof of parentage along your application? If yes what documents did you sent? My kid born in back home, should i translate the birth certificate from back home and send it or just send the COPR including our and the kids name?

lotus2101

Feb 25, 2023
Good luck to you. I sent an urgent request in June 2022 and till today nothing. They don’t care about your travel date, I had a member of parliament intervene. They just don’t even care, our applications are just sitting there. 8 months and nothing.
Hello there!
I have the same situation like you.
I applied my application by mail on 15, June 2022.
I haven't received anything since this day. I call to IRCC 6 times to speed up and put it into urgent situation but haven't been success.
If you have good new or any update from your application. Let's me know
Good luck to you! Hope you will receive soon.!