+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
Very useful page for RTD interested people.

My question is:

My friend lives in Toronto the family of 5people his last baby is Canadian citizen. And they are protected people and applied for PR (under process) they are Pakistani citizen.

His wife wish to travel Uk to see his brother on his baby birth with my youngest (1yr old)daughter Canadian citizen. They are on welfare and getting child benifits.

UK embassy easily give the visa on RTD? Has someone visited to uk carrying RTD?? Pls comment : Thank you
As my experience showed (not with UK, with some other EU countries) there are many other factors, such as economic situation of a person (job, bank account, other proves of financial status), family status and current locations of family members, reasons to visit this particular country, previous travels and etc. If these factors are sufficiently right and not suspicious, then RTD is not a matter. Yet when you have some weak sides for those general issues, then RTD may act as an aggravating issue sometimes. What I can exactly say is that a welfare recipient are unlikely a desired person in any country.

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
Very useful page for RTD interested people.

My question is:

My friend lives in Toronto the family of 5people his last baby is Canadian citizen. And they are protected people and applied for PR (under process) they are Pakistani citizen.

His wife wish to travel Uk to see his brother on his baby birth with my youngest (1yr old)daughter Canadian citizen. They are on welfare and getting child benifits.

UK embassy easily give the visa on RTD? Has someone visited to uk carrying RTD?? Pls comment : Thank you
I received the UK visa and traveled to London and back to Canada no problems.
However it's not an easy visa to get using a RTD.
I had to show strong ties to Canada such as 6 months pay cheques/stubbs. My income tax statement for the year My lease for my apartment, car insurance and most importantly an invitation letter from a family member who is a citizen of U.K

So you will need a strong case

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received the UK visa and traveled to London and back to Canada no problems.
However it's not an easy visa to get using a RTD.
I had to show strong ties to Canada such as 6 months pay cheques/stubbs. My income tax statement for the year My lease for my apartment, car insurance and most importantly an invitation letter from a family member who is a citizen of U.K

So you will need a strong case
Think the big issue will be the fact that you receive welfare and should have had limited savings in order to qualify. Even if the family in the UK is willing to pay for the trip the UK will want to see that the individual will be able to cover her own costs, could afford an emergency, etc. I think the chances are low but once you have a record of regular work and some savings you will have a better chance.

Reactions: Refugeee

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
Think the big issue will be the fact that you receive welfare and should have had limited savings in order to qualify. Even if the family in the UK is willing to pay for the trip the UK will want to see that the individual will be able to cover her own costs, could afford an emergency, etc. I think the chances are low but once you have a record of regular work and some savings you will have a better chance.
Agreed, well said.

Tebit fred

Mar 3, 2018
I know how you feeling bro! I hope you see them asap, just trust to god and check the ways and solution's which work's, if you can invite them or go to a near country and bring them there and see them.
are you citizen now after 8 years also are you PR now ? of course you have them right after a long time!
What if I have been registered under the united nation high commission for refugee(UNHCR), can this document be use to obtain a refugee travel

Forevergrateful

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I’m planning a trip to Colombia and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Colombian immigration using a RTD?

Thank you

dagliemin

Mar 23, 2018
Hi, everyone

I have a question
Can I get a USA visa with RTD ?
Was someone got usa visa?

Please share your experiences

3psilon3

Apr 15, 2018
Hi all,
Quick questions: We are already PR and are looking to make our RTD but can't seem to find a guarantor. I know we can fill the PPTC 326

1) does anyone have an experience to share with filling the PPTC326 and actually receiving the RTD?
2) How long did it take?
3) Can we actually go to a random lawyer's or public notary's office to ask them to sign as our guarantor in exchange of a fee?

Thank you in advance!

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Hi, everyone

I have a question
Can I get a USA visa with RTD ?
Was someone got usa visa?

Please share your experiences
Hey, yes you can get a US visitor visa. It is a fairly easy process. They interview you and ask you questions about work and family and intend to visit the US. I applied in Calgary and got it. Although, I have an uncle in the US and my application said I am going to visit him.

Reactions: dagliemin

szaib002

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
Hi all,
Quick questions: We are already PR and are looking to make our RTD but can't seem to find a guarantor. I know we can fill the PPTC 326

1) does anyone have an experience to share with filling the PPTC326 and actually receiving the RTD?
2) How long did it take?
3) Can we actually go to a random lawyer's or public notary's office to ask them to sign as our guarantor in exchange of a fee?

Thank you in advance!
Just go to your family doctor. Ass long as you have been going to the doctor for the at least 6 months, you will be fine.

dagliemin

Mar 23, 2018
Hey, yes you can get a US visitor visa. It is a fairly easy process. They interview you and ask you questions about work and family and intend to visit the US. I applied in Calgary and got it. Although, I have an uncle in the US and my application said I am going to visit him.
Hey, Thank you for answer my question. Do you know what document do I need to apply visa? I'm a student in Toronto and I'm convention refugee I have RTD. I used to live US. I was student there. I don't have family member in US. I just want to visit my friends there.
Do you have any suggestions for me? and Are you apply wıth PR card? Because I'm still waiting my PR.

dagliemin

Mar 23, 2018
Getting visas are very dependent on your own personal history. Country of origin, current work status, savings, etc.
Thank you for your answer. I'm a student and Convention refugee in Toronto. I used to live Usa. I was student there. I have a lot friends there. I just wanna visit my friends and my school. I got invitation letter from my friend who is US citizen, But I'm afraid to apply with Refugee travel document because I don't have PR card yet. Do you have any suggestions for me?