+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Hello, wanted to share my experience:

- I applied for RTD regular processing on 7th Feb 2022
- Sent an urgent processing request (IRCC Webform) in May 2022 based on my grandmother being sick and no response (I didn't provide proof of her illness)
- Sent another urgent processing request (IRCC webform) in September 2022 based on my father being sick (provided ICU report from the hospital)
- Received RTD on October 3 2022 after 2 x urgent requests

No communication from IRCC at all during this time, I only found out my RTD application was accepted and it was sent to me because I coincidentally had called IRCC to enquire about my PR application.

Hope this helps and good luck everyone!

Reactions: HeDidit

Yohan11

May 11, 2018
Hi friends, I would be thankful if you could share your experience to travel to Malaysia. I have RTD and PR and planning to travel to Malaysia from Toronto by Eva air with 1hr 10 min connection in Taipei and 4 hrs in return. My concern,do Taiwan ask for transit visa? Do any one with same status tried this route? I'm trying to call customer care at Eva air but still have no luck to talk to someone. Thanks

ibmjam

Mar 8, 2019
Hi guys,

Hope you are doing well, I need your help for RTD issue.
If I want to apply for RTD, what I should answer in the follow questions when preparing the application:

Do you have any valid travel document or passport?
Yes, enclose the document (original only). If no longer in your possession, explain why?

Have you, since your date of entry to Canada, applied for a passport or travel document (or renewal of such a document) from your country of origin or citizenship?
No, provide a detailed explanation of your reason for not applying.

Finally, I'm going to attach the below document:
  • Copy of stamped passport.
  • Copy of refugee protection claimant document (Brown paper) as proof of document to support identity.
  • Copy of NOD as proof of immigration status.
  • Copy of notice of seizure of identity document-form BSF698
Is the above mentioned documents is OK or need to provide something else.
Plz, if someone has experience in RTD issue and can help me to apply soon.
Thank you for your consideration in advance.

Regards.

gpsco

Mar 24, 2022
Canada
Hi guys

I ask a question.
After receiving a PR can i invite our father and mother come to Canada or not?
Do they give them a visa?

Abnod

Apr 22, 2022
Hello,

does anyone here have tried applying for visa for travel to japan worth RTD and PR?

Japan has opened its boarder now for tourists, and I was thinking about traveling there around January but there no information about RTD on the embassy. I have emaild them, and now waiting for a reply.

bamboohamboo

Sep 24, 2022
Hey guys, I do have a question.
I'm an approved refugee, my Origin country passport is expired and it's with the immigration.
My question is can I renew my country of origin passport and travel with it BUT NOT TO MY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (COUNTRY OF PERSUCTION)?

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Hey guys, I do have a question.
I'm an approved refugee, my Origin country passport is expired and it's with the immigration.
My question is can I renew my country of origin passport and travel with it BUT NOT TO MY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (COUNTRY OF PERSUCTION)?
I think you do not receive your country of origin passport until you receive PR or you request for it.

Also of what I understand you should not renew your country of origin passport or travel on it regardless of where you go.

Reactions: bamboohamboo

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022
Of what I have seen online, no GCC country accepts the RTD as a travel document.

I would contact their embassy in Canada for confirmation.

as far as I know its only Qatar and UAE that doesn't recognize RTD. Saudi requires visa and there are approved agents on the embassy website who can get you visa,.

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022
Hello,

does anyone here have tried applying for visa for travel to japan worth RTD and PR?

Japan has opened its boarder now for tourists, and I was thinking about traveling there around January but there no information about RTD on the embassy. I have emaild them, and now waiting for a reply.
hi, I am also interested in the process. please keep me posted. I did email them but no response yet

bamboohamboo

Sep 24, 2022
Hi guys, I do have a proof from other country that I have to do a Surgery oversees, which affect my life as I quit my job because of it.
How to send an Urgent case for the RTD?
However, I sent my application about a week ago.
Thanks a lot

levenscan

Oct 30, 2018
I applied for RTD in May 2022. I requested the status 3 months ago and just got an answer - that they received the envelope but did not open it. How much time it's going to take?