+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status and getting married to an American citizen

Sarah90

Jun 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

Me and my family used to live in the U.S for over 6 years on student visas, yes we were all just going to school and language schools for some of us.. Throughout my stay there I was dating a guy for approximately 4 years.. However me and my family recently moved to Canada seeking refugee and we been here for almost a year, our status is still pending we didn't get a decision yet on our refugee claimant, meanwhile everything is going good we got jobs and we're supporting each other.. Anyhow my boyfriend visited me recently and he proposed to me and asked me to be his wife.. I said yes. But im afraid of how this situation going to go, would that affect my family's case, or does that mean i cant stay in Canada while my papers are being processed by the US government? How would this process go legally, is it okay to get married by a US citizen while you're on a refugee status here in Canada?

Reactions: jamalelnawiisao

Biochemist

Star Member
May 21, 2019
Your spouse can file with USCIS an application to bring you over as their spouse, it usually takes a year, if it's processing this won't affect your claimant status here, however once you get to your hearing you will unlikely be given status like your family since you have another safe 3rd country where you are able to gain status. Best is to wait, get hearing and refugee status. Honestly though, it's simpler to process you green card now, you will need to leave canada to have an immigrant K fiance visa issued on your passport, and off to the states. Once you have a green card you can come and visit canada all the time visa free. Green card holders can visit Canada with no visa, but Canadian permanent residents need a visa to visit the US. Canada does this to boost its economy/tourism lol.

Apr 17, 2022
Hello everyone,

Me and my family used to live in the U.S for over 6 years on student visas, yes we were all just going to school and language schools for some of us.. Throughout my stay there I was dating a guy for approximately 4 years.. However me and my family recently moved to Canada seeking refugee and we been here for almost a year, our status is still pending we didn't get a decision yet on our refugee claimant, meanwhile everything is going good we got jobs and we're supporting each other.. Anyhow my boyfriend visited me recently and he proposed to me and asked me to be his wife.. I said yes. But im afraid of how this situation going to go, would that affect my family's case, or does that mean i cant stay in Canada while my papers are being processed by the US government? How would this process go legally, is it okay to get married by a US citizen while you're on a refugee status here in Canada?
please i need you help it’s the same situation 5142456229 please

Apr 17, 2022
Hello everyone,

please i need you help it’s the same situation 5142456229

Apr 17, 2022
i’m refugees for 3 months i have my fiancé in usa we will get married in canada is this will be ok i can how long does it take to get back to the USA is this possible or impossible please i need help

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
i’m refugees for 3 months i have my fiancé in usa we will get married in canada is this will be ok i can how long does it take to get back to the USA is this possible or impossible please i need help
Did you come across the border from the USA to claim asylum in Canada?
If you originally arrived from the States you may have accrued unlawful stay which automatically triggered a ban

evchesbro8

Apr 17, 2022
Did you come across the border from the USA to claim asylum in Canada?
If you originally arrived from the States you may have accrued unlawful stay which automatically triggered a ban
He came across Canada and claimed asylum. I am in the US. Our immigration lawyer said to get married in Canada, file petition in US I believe then I-130. Will this effect his asylum claim or should we move forward with marriage, petition and green card in the meantime?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He came across Canada and claimed asylum. I am in the US. Our immigration lawyer said to get married in Canada, file petition in US I believe then I-130. Will this effect his asylum claim or should we move forward with marriage, petition and green card in the meantime?
Have you lived together for a year while he was in the US? How long was he living in the US and did he overstay any visa?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
That doesn’t answer the question . Were they without status in the USA ? If they were and left , that may cause an automatic ban dependant on how long they were without status in the USA. Leaving may not have been the wisest move. As for the filing the I-130, I don’t know . The lawyer would know . It depends though if they’ve been banned due to accruing unlawful time in the US