09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Hi

I am starting this thread to discuss refugee program for Ukraine that might or mighr not be implemented

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I am starting this thread to discuss refugee program for Ukraine that might or mighr not be implemented

Thank you
There has been no indication that there will be a special refugee program. Canada looks like they have decided to allow people to get an emergency travel document to visit Canada and will be allowing people to apply for a WP on arrival instead. The government refugee programs are not very successful at getting people living independently without government help, are much more costly and would take a lot more organization. The system can’t even deal with the Afghan refugees that are currently arriving in Canada. It looks like Canada is really targeting Ukrainians who have friends and family in Canada or professionals that can arrive and start working right away. The onus will be on friends and family to help settle the Ukrainians arriving.

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
There has been no indication that there will be a special refugee program. Canada looks like they have decided to allow people to get an emergency travel document to visit Canada and will be allowing people to apply for a WP on arrival instead. The government refugee programs are not very successful at getting people living independently without government help, are much more costly and would take a lot more organization. The system can’t even deal with the Afghan refugees that are currently arriving in Canada. It looks like Canada is really targeting Ukrainians who have friends and family in Canada or professionals that can arrive and start working right away. The onus will be on friends and family to help settle the Ukrainians arriving.
This is truth, there is no refugee program for Ukrainians. You have to go to safe place but for many ppl it’s impossible now. You have to go to Poland for example. Men cannot leave country because of marshal law

Reactions: anton1990

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is truth, there is no refugee program for Ukrainians. You have to go to safe place but for many ppl it’s impossible now. You have to go to Poland for example. Men cannot leave country because of marshal law
Ukrainians are being let into Europe so there is no need to have a program like we had in Afghanistan and Syria. Also very different situations especially Afghanistan. Most refugees admitted to Canada had worked with Canada in the past which made them a target which is why they were being offered protection. There will be arrivals from Ukraine but on a smaller scale than Europe and mostly people with a connection already in Canada that will ease transition.

Reactions: tfox72 and Masjuy

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
Ukrainians are being let into Europe so there is no need to have a program like we had in Afghanistan and Syria. Also very different situations especially Afghanistan. Most refugees admitted to Canada had worked with Canada in the past which made them a target which is why they were being offered protection. There will be arrivals from Ukraine but on a smaller scale than Europe and mostly people with a connection already in Canada that will ease transition.
Agreed. Also, Ukrainians have visa free access to Schengen area.

IRCC is working on several special measures for Ukrainians but a special refugee stream does not seem to be in the works. Personally, I think announced measures are better (compared to refugee programs) even for people with no family in Canada because it helps Ukrainians qualify to legally work in Canada for next 2 years (and it was indicated that there is no limit in these programs) which means many should be able to apply for PR due to their Canadian work experience. Not having to go through asylum process means less waiting time for work permit, less stress, and less restrictions once one becomes a PR.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck78

JacekN

Mar 7, 2022
Hello. Writing from Sanok, Poland.

I was out on a walk today and met a girl with a younger brother. She said their mother is here as well. They're from Kiev. Father stayed behind. They are currently in a hotel. I'm expecting a phone call from their mother this evening. Many Ukrainians are coming to Poland. They have families and other connections here. I'm sure some will look at an opportunity to go oversees but most will stay in Europe and maybe even hope to return to Ukraine.

I was planning to sell our family home here and return to Canada but seeing what I'm seeing, I might as well stay. If you feel like helping me out get the place renovated, I can offer someone a home. I'm not asking you to donate. If you share this link with your friends on social media, that will already be huge for me. Thanks.

https://givesendgo.com/SanokHomeForRefugees

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Agreed. Also, Ukrainians have visa free access to Schengen area.

IRCC is working on several special measures for Ukrainians but a special refugee stream does not seem to be in the works. Personally, I think announced measures are better (compared to refugee programs) even for people with no family in Canada because it helps Ukrainians qualify to legally work in Canada for next 2 years (and it was indicated that there is no limit in these programs) which means many should be able to apply for PR due to their Canadian work experience. Not having to go through asylum process means less waiting time for work permit, less stress, and less restrictions once one becomes a PR.
I agree with you

There might lots of sad faces who expect refugee program for Ukrainians. Also why not come the way you described? Laziness. And wanting free stuff

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
I agree with you

There might lots of sad faces who expect refugee program for Ukrainians. Also why not come the way you described? Laziness. And wanting free stuff
2 million Ukrainian refugees are DISPLACED in bordering countries. They have fled their homes, many of them with only a few clothes if anything.
So these people many of whom are staying in camps, should open IRCC website and start upwnloading their documents and applications? Then spend many days trying to find the nearest Biometrics, then wait weeks for Security Clearance....
Some joke if you ask me...
My wife fled with only the clothes on her back. I am sending her money where she is staying at, while she runs around printing VAC forms and wiring fees at the bank.
She is a lucky one, she has me and she is staying at a resort in a bordering country. She is also lucky that her Biometrics has already been done for the Spousal Application we previously submitted which was refused-that saved us BIG TIME because all the VACs are not accepting in-person passport drop-off and waiting for Canada to open up makeshift VACs could take ages.
Others are not so lucky.

Last edited:

JacekN

Mar 7, 2022
About 1.3m Ukrainians have crossed into Poland. Many went further West. It is estimated that one million are currently in Poland. They're either at their families' homes (lots of Ukrainians are here for work) or they're taken home by volunteering Poles. I offered my home but it wasn't attractive enough to the one lady that showed up. There are no refugee camps in Poland. Where do you see those camps?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Where do you see those camps?
Look up CBC news website and you will see the green domed tents in Poland.
True, it does state not many refugees are staying there because most have some friends, family or just money to be able to stay somewhere else.
Your house must really suck if a Ukrainian lady refused to stay there LOL

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
About 1.3m Ukrainians have crossed into Poland. Many went further West. It is estimated that one million are currently in Poland. They're either at their families' homes (lots of Ukrainians are here for work) or they're taken home by volunteering Poles. I offered my home but it wasn't attractive enough to the one lady that showed up. There are no refugee camps in Poland. Where do you see those camps?
You have to appreciate that no one here is going to fund your home reno.

There are much more direct and immediate ways to support displaced Ukrainians.

JacekN

Mar 7, 2022
Maybe it's time you learn about what B stands for in CBC. Just watch their footage of Ottawa party and then check streaming youtubers.

Your house must really suck if a Ukrainian lady refused to stay there LOL
My parents house does need some work. I posted a link in my first post - there is a link to the photo of the house. Surely, I'd prefer to run some reno projects before I bring children in. But my parents had been comfortable here and I've been staying here for just over a year, now. The truth is that refugees in Poland are placed in high end hotels and private homes, so they have much better living conditions that my parents did. Suggesting that somebody would drop my invitation and choose to stay in a camp is something very silly to say. Maybe it's time to stop watching CBC and talk to people who know what's going on. The Polish government is about to pass a bill that will pay $330CAD per month for each person taken home and Ukrainian kids are being set up at Polish schools with instruction in their own language. We expect many more to come in and have no plans to build any camps.

• Wow
Reactions: Phalos

JacekN

Mar 7, 2022
You have to appreciate that no one here is going to fund your home reno.

There are much more direct and immediate ways to support displaced Ukrainians.
No, worries. We expect many more refugees but most likely they'll choose big cities where many are offered employment right away. They also have free transit and immediate access to free Polish health care. Makes me wonder who I am in this situation because I don't enjoy any of these things. :)

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
What a terrible thing to do - to try to exploit refugees to renovate your house in exchange for shelter LOL shame on you.