+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee crisis

Mike2015

May 22, 2015
Will the current refugee crisis affect family class applications?Is it true refugee's get first priority over family class?

Edin2Van

Star Member
Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2015
Doc's Request.
20-08-2015
AOR Received.
SA 15-04-2015
Maybe it will affect the wait time for family sponsorship and other immigration routes or maybe it won't.

I for one don't particularly care if it does.

The wait sucks but at least I'm in a safe and comfortable place right now, that's not something the vast majority of Syrian refugees are able to say.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
Edin2Van said:
Maybe it will affect the wait time for family sponsorship and other immigration routes or maybe it won't.

The wait sucks but at least I'm in a safe and comfortable place right now, that's not something the vast majority of Syrian refugees are able to say.
+1 :D

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Edin2Van said:

+1 ...or for those who are trying to avoid becoming refugees and waiting things out...either in Syria or another country....

C.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
Edin2Van said:

Great Comment +1

Mike2015

May 22, 2015
This was not meant to be some political topic...I am just wondering if it will delay my application sponsorship process??Can I please get an answer,thanks.

cool_fs4u

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2015
File Transfer...
14-09-2015
Med's Done....
15-06-2015
Passport Req..
13-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2016
Mike2015 said:
This was not meant to be some political topic...I am just wondering if it will delay my application sponsorship process??Can I please get an answer,thanks.
It's hard to speculate at this point. Processing time can increase or decrease depending on election result on October 19 as well.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Mike2015 said:
You asked about how a very hot button political topic may affect your personal circumstances. Unfortunately it will be and is a political topic.

No one can say for sure how the refugee crisis will affect your application.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Anytime there is some prioritization, it usually affects the other timelines to a degree. However the impact is often less than you think.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Mike2015 said:
Easy for your smart mouth "+1" comment when your application is already complete,doubt you would feel the same if you were still waiting and had your application put to the back of the line,I was just curious as to some delay,you dont have to be a jerk
I recieved this lovely little gem in my PM inbox.

Rather than engage privately.

Yes Mike2015, we were fortunate that our application went to Mississauga instead of London. We were fortunate that it processed quickly, that does not however negate my rights to have a humanitarian stance on the refugee crisis in our world. You can bet that if our application was still in process, and I had the choice between waiting a few months, or refusing refugees entry into Canada (at the risk of them dying) I would opt for applications of refugees to get processed before mine.

I am sorry you felt I was a 'jerk' for applauding Edin2Van for his/her very apt post.

I am sorry your application is still in process, and that ours is not.

and I am sorry that you don't seem to believe refugees should have priority over people living in relative comfort and safety.

Please refrain from private messaging me to call me a 'jerk' or to speculate how I may or may not react if my application was still in process. I am a humanitarian whether it is in my personal best interest or not, please do not paint me with a brush of cowardice and selfishness by suggesting otherwise.

canameraduo

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
13-01-2015 (but did not show that date/line until 06-08-2015
Interview........
IP: 06-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Please be soon
I think we should all remember that the true issue that causes our applications to sit is the effect of budget cutbacks, an increase to processing times of 70% since 2007, and other negative government changes over the past 5-10 years.

That being said, I believe I read that the Winnipeg office will be doubling their staffing to aid with the Syrian Refugees so I would doubt that it will have much effect on the rest of us.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kettle said:
I recieved this lovely little gem in my PM inbox.

Rather than engage privately.

Yes Mike2015, we were fortunate that our application went to Mississauga instead of London. We were fortunate that it processed quickly, that does not however negate my rights to have a humanitarian stance on the refugee crisis in our world. You can bet that if our application was still in process, and I had the choice between waiting a few months, or refusing refugees entry into Canada (at the risk of them dying) I would opt for applications of refugees to get processed before mine.

I am sorry you felt I was a 'jerk' for applauding Edin2Van for his/her very apt post.

I am sorry your application is still in process, and that ours is not.

and I am sorry that you don't seem to believe refugees should have priority over people living in relative comfort and safety.

Please refrain from private messaging me to call me a 'jerk' or to speculate how I may or may not react if my application was still in process. I am a humanitarian whether it is in my personal best interest or not, please do not paint me with a brush of cowardice and selfishness by suggesting otherwise.
Not that i support Mike's calling you a "jerk" in private message which i am sure he already regrets, I can however understand his frustration resulting from your applause to alleged prioritization of refugee applications over his own. After all, your own is always more dear to you than anyone's else and he is being totally honest about it.
Not all people are as truly altruistic in their nature (let's say 99.9% are not?) as they want to picture themselves and not that i try to doubt you in particular, but we will never know how would you really vote would you be given the choice to process your case or other's first, would we? Given the way you choose to publicly "revenge" Mike i also assume you are not exactly Mother Teresa yourself.
Besides, did you know that some (and there are opinions that its actually the majority) of the refugees finding their way to claim refugee status in Europe and elsewhere are not really refugees and not even Syrian but "regular" (and relatively wealthy who can afford the payoff for the smugglers) migrants riding the popular wave? Nothing wrong with seeking a better life for you and your family but let's just not exaggerate and have a picture of Mike's wife vs soon to be beheaded Syrian child standing in front of CIC officer, its just not the case. Unfortunately, those standing in real danger have no ways and no means to get out of the war zone... Whew , now it became really political :)

basketballfan

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
SW Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
August 2013 ; September 2015
Passport Req..
November 2015
I think this is why CIC should be more proactive rather than reactive to challenges within their immigration system. It is possible that they will have to redirect or reallocate resources (e.g., human resources, $) to the refugee immigration program. In my eye, it is more an issue of poor planning and lack of accountability than the crises itself as these crises are due to happen (conflict, natural disasters due to climate change, human rights related, etc). I appreciate that the Canadian public is talking about immigration, even if it's not related to family sponsorship , if it contributes to a change in government than it may have a positive overall impact on CICs policies and practices over time and processing times. Systems change ...

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Don't see anything in this definition about being poor or having to be Syrian....

"The 1951 Refugee Convention spells out that a refugee is someone who "owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to, or owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country."

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c125.html

C.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
sashali78 said:
Not that i support Mike's calling you a "jerk" in private message which i am sure he already regrets, I can however understand his frustration resulting from your applause to alleged prioritization of refugee applications over his own. After all, your own is always more dear to you than anyone's else and he is being totally honest about it.
Not all people are as truly altruistic in their nature (let's say 99.9% are not?) as they want to picture themselves and not that i try to doubt you in particular, but we will never know how would you really vote would you be given the choice to process your case or other's first, would we? Given the way you choose to publicly "revenge" Mike i also assume you are not exactly Mother Teresa yourself.
Besides, did you know that some (and there are opinions that its actually the majority) of the refugees finding their way to claim refugee status in Europe and elsewhere are not really refugees and not even Syrian but "regular" (and relatively wealthy who can afford the payoff for the smugglers) migrants riding the popular wave? Nothing wrong with seeking a better life for you and your family but let's just not exaggerate and have a picture of Mike's wife vs soon to be beheaded Syrian child standing in front of CIC officer, its just not the case. Unfortunately, those standing in real danger have no ways and no means to get out of the war zone... Whew , now it became really political :)
I applauded Edin2Vans sentiment. That he/she would not object to refugees taking priority over his/her case. You will see I was not the only one to do so.

It is not public revenge. It is refusing to engage privately with someone who feels the need to make personal attacks. I see you too are also choosing to make assumptions about my character.

I did not mention Syria once in my post. Nor did I paint a picture of Mikes spouse and a Syrian refugee (about to be beheaded) standing in front of a CIC officer. You made that crude assumption, not I.