+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REFUGEE CLAIMANT APPLYING DRIVER LICENCE

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
I certainly hope that you haven't broken the law by driving without a license. Most of Canadian refugees do not have the funds to buy a car and rely on public transportation. Also most refugees don't arrive with a US driver's license or good English/French language skills so need to complete graduated licensing to learn the rules of the road in North America.
The reason why Alberta does not issue DL to refugee claimants is the province thinks there are identity verification issues with the Refugee Claimant Documents that the Federal Government has been issuing. This is the exact wording:

Refugee Claimants

If you are in Alberta under a pending or denied refugee protection claim , you do not qualify for GDL E xemption, nor are you eligible for an Alberta driver’s licence or I D c ard, re gardless of whether you have a W ork P ermit issued by the f ederal government.

It has been verified by federal authorities that government identity documents (Refugee Claimant Form and temporary foreign Work P ermit) may be provided to refugee claimants without ve rifica tion of their identity. These W ork P ermits are most often issued in conjunction with a claim in order to enable you to obtain employment, thus relieving you of the necessity for social assistance while you await the resolution of your claim. The Wo rk P ermit does not co nfer official reside ncy status upon you , therefore you are ineligible to obtain any Alberta identity document ( such as an Operator’s licence or ID Card ) until you receive official status within Canada. The W ork P ermit specifically sta tes “DOES NOT CONFER TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS” under the remarks section.

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/drivers-licence-gdl-exemption.pdf

R

rish888

The reason why Alberta does not issue DL to refugee claimants is the province thinks there are identity verification issues with the Refugee Claimant Documents that the Federal Government has been issuing. This is the exact wording:
Here we go again. Another fine example of Federalism at work.

Reactions: gavendano

Eribo

Dec 22, 2017
Hello guys I'm a refugee claimant and I live in Calgary Alberta and I would like to move to Moncton New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because here they don't give you driver license and I need to have one for the type of job that I do so can any of you can tell me if they given driver license on those two province that I mentioned thank you and have a wonderful day.

Eribo

Dec 22, 2017
Hello guys I'm a refugee claimant and I live in Calgary Alberta and I would like to move to Moncton New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because here they don't give you driver license and I need to have one for the type of job that I do so can any of you can tell me if they given driver license on those two province that I mentioned thank you and have a wonderful day.
Please my brother I just got my WorkP, and would like to work in Alberta bcos I have much experience in Oil/Gas sector, I heard that's where will favor me as per my experience, can u in any way help me with where I can apply,even in your company where u work, I wish to apply...

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Please my brother I just got my WorkP, and would like to work in Alberta bcos I have much experience in Oil/Gas sector, I heard that's where will favor me as per my experience, can u in any way help me with where I can apply,even in your company where u work, I wish to apply...
Use indeed.ca, do a google search for oil and gas companies in Alberta and start going through the careers section in their webpages.

Eribo

Dec 22, 2017
Use indeed.ca, do a google search for oil and gas companies in Alberta and start going through the careers section in their webpages.

Thanks, man.....I have been applying on indeed and even zip... is your company recruiting? Or you know any specifically that I can apply directly

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
I live in Alberta, here they dont give drivers license to refugee claimants.
I already have work permit and my license is from the United States that is not my problem the problem is that in Alberta they do not want to give licenses before you have the decision of your hearing the truth I think it is stupid because we want to follow the laws but they want you to break them because we have to drive and the audience takes a long time

gsarora279

Apr 1, 2018
we filled refugee in alberta and residing in alberta only..someone told us that u will get driving license from toronto..anyone please help what documents required to get driving license from toronto

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you reside in Alberta, you don’t qualify for an Ontario license. You would need to move to Ontario to get one (or any other province you get your license in).