+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REFUGEE CLAIMANT APPLYING DRIVER LICENCE

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
Hello, i need an advice from the forum,

my friend is a refugee claimant in the province of Quebec, can he apply for a driver licence in other province in Canada. Getting a driver licence in Quebec is a strenuous process.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They would need to provide proof they live in that province. The requirements in Quebec are pretty much the same as every other province anyway.

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto
but it does matter right,? i mean getting a driver licence in another province even though you claiming refugee in quebec?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As I said, they would need to provide proof they reside (live) in the province they are applying for the license in. It’s not as simple as going to Ontario for the day and applying for an Ontario license and going back to Quebec. The process would be nearly identical.

Venezolano

Dec 18, 2017
Hello guys I'm a refugee claimant and I live in Calgary Alberta and I would like to move to Moncton New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because here they don't give you driver license and I need to have one for the type of job that I do so can any of you can tell me if they given driver license on those two province that I mentioned thank you and have a wonderful day.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys I'm a refugee claimant and I live in Calgary Alberta and I would like to move to Moncton New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because here they don't give you driver license and I need to have one for the type of job that I do so can any of you can tell me if they given driver license on those two province that I mentioned thank you and have a wonderful day.
Seems like you arrived recently. Do you qualify for a work permit? Some refugees do not. Also many provinces have graduated licensing so you have to drive with an experienced driver first for almost a year (could be a bit shkrter/longer) and then you get a license where you can drive on your own. I would Google the various provinces.

Venezolano

Dec 18, 2017
I already have work permit and my license is from the United States that is not my problem the problem is that in Alberta they do not want to give licenses before you have the decision of your hearing the truth I think it is stupid because we want to follow the laws but they want you to break them because we have to drive and the audience takes a long time

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I already have work permit and my license is from the United States that is not my problem the problem is that in Alberta they do not want to give licenses before you have the decision of your hearing the truth I think it is stupid because we want to follow the laws but they want you to break them because we have to drive and the audience takes a long time
I certainly hope that you haven't broken the law by driving without a license. Most of Canadian refugees do not have the funds to buy a car and rely on public transportation. Also most refugees don't arrive with a US driver's license or good English/French language skills so need to complete graduated licensing to learn the rules of the road in North America.