+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee citizen reavailment - i returned to my country

lavocado917

Feb 20, 2024
hello i am a former asylum applicant. i turned citizen sincr 2 years . and since then i return to my country every year for almost 3 months .
lately i’ve been reading this forum and some people are mentioning that it is not allowed to do so .
i visit my relatives and need to take care of them.
note that i feel safe in my country holding the canadian citizenship. as a dual citizens we have a lot of privileges as my country has good relations with canada . and i never went back before turning citizen
now j am worried to go back . some guys say they will out me aside
should i just move to another country ? any advises are appreciated
regards

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
The reavailment rule only applies to PR only, once you are a citizen - unless your application process was fraudulent, no issues from Canada… BUT there is a possibility of you NOT getting consular assistance in your home country due to dual nationality! Best advice is NOT to return unless the home country is stable. If MUST return, ALWAYS use Canadian passport!

Jan 7, 2024
The reavailment rule only applies to PR only, once you are a citizen - unless your application process was fraudulent, no issues from Canada… BUT there is a possibility of you NOT getting consular assistance in your home country due to dual nationality! Best advice is NOT to return unless the home country is stable. If MUST return, ALWAYS use Canadian passport!
thank you for enlightening me regarding this . although i thought the same and my claim is 100% genuine . actually i’ve never been able to come back during refugee and pr but as you mentioned things change after a couple of years and situations are likely to change . my visit reason is mostly to see my elderly parents which is pretty normal . imagin after 8 years you haven’t seen them .
my inquiry was triggered by some comments in this forum who say that some get pulled aside at airport and . this got me confused as well .
thanks again for your insight

Reactions: tomlee1986

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Once the former refugee becomes a Canadian citizen, travel to the home country is NO problem in regards to their status in Canada . . .

. . . whether there is otherwise some risk going to the home country depends on the individual and the situation in their home country. Obviously, it will be safer for some than others. Remember, in regards to persons who are a citizen of a country, many (perhaps most) countries do not recognize their citizenship in another country. Even countries like the U.S. will not recognize a person's Canadian citizenship if they are a citizen of the U.S.

Regarding reavailment of home country protection and cessation of refugee or protected person status:

There is a lengthy discussion about this here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/

Former refugees who have become Canadian citizens do not need to worry that traveling to the home country constitutes reavailment of the home country's protection, and thus can be grounds for cessation of their status in Canada.

Actually, once the former refugee becomes a Canadian citizen they no longer have refugee status, cessation of that status effected by availment of the protection of Canada obviating the need for protected person status.

In contrast, this is a serious issue for anyone who still has refugee or protected person status, which includes Canadian PRs who became PRs as a refugee or protected person. That is, if you are still just a PR, travel to the home country seriously risks status in Canada.

All that said, former refugees who are now citizens have reported what amounts to more frequent and to some extent more probing border control screening when returning to Canada from abroad, especially after travel to their home country. This typically diminishes over time and goes away . . . unless there is some lurking security related concern regarding the particular individual.

hello i am a former asylum applicant. i turned citizen sincr 2 years . and since then i return to my country every year for almost 3 months .
lately i’ve been reading this forum and some people are mentioning that it is not allowed to do so .
i visit my relatives and need to take care of them.
note that i feel safe in my country holding the canadian citizenship. as a dual citizens we have a lot of privileges as my country has good relations with canada . and i never went back before turning citizen
now j am worried to go back . some guys say they will out me aside
should i just move to another country ? any advises are appreciated
regards
thank you for enlightening me regarding this . although i thought the same and my claim is 100% genuine . actually i’ve never been able to come back during refugee and pr but as you mentioned things change after a couple of years and situations are likely to change . my visit reason is mostly to see my elderly parents which is pretty normal . imagin after 8 years you haven’t seen them .
my inquiry was triggered by some comments in this forum who say that some get pulled aside at airport and . this got me confused as well .

lavocado917

Feb 20, 2024
thanks a lot for your insight

Reactions: tomlee1986

lavocado917

Feb 20, 2024
Once the former refugee becomes a Canadian citizen, travel to the home country is NO problem in regards to their status in Canada . . .

. . . whether there is otherwise some risk going to the home country depends on the individual and the situation in their home country. Obviously, it will be safer for some than others. Remember, in regards to persons who are a citizen of a country, many (perhaps most) countries do not recognize their citizenship in another country. Even countries like the U.S. will not recognize a person's Canadian citizenship if they are a citizen of the U.S.

Regarding reavailment of home country protection and cessation of refugee or protected person status:

There is a lengthy discussion about this here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/

Former refugees who have become Canadian citizens do not need to worry that traveling to the home country constitutes reavailment of the home country's protection, and thus can be grounds for cessation of their status in Canada.

Actually, once the former refugee becomes a Canadian citizen they no longer have refugee status, cessation of that status effected by availment of the protection of Canada obviating the need for protected person status.

In contrast, this is a serious issue for anyone who still has refugee or protected person status, which includes Canadian PRs who became PRs as a refugee or protected person. That is, if you are still just a PR, travel to the home country seriously risks status in Canada.

All that said, former refugees who are now citizens have reported what amounts to more frequent and to some extent more probing border control screening when returning to Canada from abroad, especially after travel to their home country. This typically diminishes over time and goes away . . . unless there is some lurking security related concern regarding the particular individual.
Hello sir first off thanks for all your efforts dedicated to this forum i’ve learned a lot from you along with many others i know personally.
i am glad to talk to you for the first time.
indeed i’ve been reading through this forum and i can see some misguiding statements from some people who are just spreading false informations such as that your status becomes at risk after returning even after citizenship. they generally dont take into consideration that we’ve spent too many years abroad that many things could change including health of our relatives and our situation which gets much better to the extent that we feel safer. for instance after holding the canadian citizenship here we have much more privilege as canada has good relations with my country and they wouldn’t dare harm us even though we remain dual citizens.
action i’ve never returned to my country since my original claim not only because i risk reavailement . but also for my own safety. perhaps they had to apply to their citizenship and have taken another route but that doesn’t mean that they have to judge us . i guess they just dont have a life and keep picking on others . i suggest that they should be banned from here .
thanks again for your time and believe me your post will educate many others as a lot of people read this forum online .
good bless you sir

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
It can happen at airport as secondary inspection but once citizen- no need to worry about reavailment and cessation laws

Reactions: lavocado917

lavocado917

Feb 20, 2024
It can happen at airport as secondary inspection but once citizen- no need to worry about reavailment and cessation laws
thanks buddy for your precious and precise informations.
a big thanks for informing me and on behalf of those who will get informed upon reading your comments