+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reference Letter from Previous Employer - Who can sign it?

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Dear friends,

I would like to ask a specific thing you who have already completed the PR process or who in ongoing process like me.

I am quite confused about persons who can sign the reference letter from my previous employer.

My previous company did not have a HR department and a colleague of mine who works there as Chief Accountant has accepted to issue me a reference letter. I mean, he will issue the company stamp and his signature and his title will be mentioned as "chief accountant".

The person to whom I used to report no longer works there.

So, is it ok that in the letter his title is mentioned as "chief accounted" or does it have to be signed by a HR Officer/Personnel Officer?

I in advance thank you for your kind answers.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Basically, would it be ok if the "Chief Accountant" of my previous company sighs the Employee Reference Letter?

Thank you guys.

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
As long as the signee is in charge of the staffing and/or administration, it should be fine.
If you are worried, just ask the signee to briefly explain the situation (i.e., no HR dept) in the letter.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
As long as the signee is in charge of the staffing and/or administration, it should be fine.
If you are worried, just ask the signee to briefly explain the situation (i.e., no HR dept) in the letter.
Thanks for your kind answer.

The signee already knows the issue and has agreed to sign it. My concern is his title which is "Chief Accountant". Just worried that when they check the letter they may reply to me saying "it does not mention HR!."

He handles payments and other accounting processes of my previous company.

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
that is why I said you can ask him/her to explain that there is no HR dept in the company.
Another way is to ask whoever handles the hiring process in your company.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
that is why I said you can ask him/her to explain that there is no HR dept in the company.
Another way is to ask whoever handles the hiring process in your company.
Therefore when he puts his name and title, he can add a sentence and state that he handles HR processes as well.

Would it be enough?

Thanks again for your answers.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
He has told me that he can in state his title as "Chief Accountant" and in paranthesis state that also in charge of HR proceedings.

Do you guys think this will be OK?

Thanks guys.