+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reference Letter for CEC

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Hello,

Im drafting my reference letter for my employer to sign, and i need help with making sure that the letter meets the requirements and as clear as possible.

Here's a draft, please let me know if it sounds okay!

To whom it may concern:

RE: Employment Reference Letter for xxx – Administrative Assistant, NOC 1241

This letter of employment is being provided at the request of xxx to support his permanent resident application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Mr. xxx is currently working full time at xyz. He works a minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per week. His current rate of pay is $xx.xx per hour.

As of June 01, 2019, Mr. xxx has worked at xxx(company's name) for at least one (1) year, and gained the required skilled work experience of at least one (1) year in Canada to apply for permanent residence under NOC 1241 as stated on the official website of IRCC. (Here is my question, does this paragraph sound okay? i didnt put the start date because i started before it, but was working under study permit, thus can't claim point for it. I dont want to be misrepresenting by putting the actual start date because they may think that im claiming point for it. I will put the start date in my personal history. what do you think?)

Duties and responsibilities handled by xxx are as follows:

· Maintain office supplies by checking inventory and ordering items

· Proofread and prepare handwritten and electronic letters

· Collect data and prepare year-end reports

· Receive and update information on the organization’s website

· Open and distribute incoming mail to different staff in the department and others within the organization

· Schedule and confirm appointments

· Take payments and provide receipts

· Answer inquiries via telephone, email, and mail

· Input and maintain data on computerized databases

· Greet clients, take questions and inquiries and direct them to appropriate inspectors or manager

· Record and prepare minutes for team meetings

· Arrange team meetings, events and make reservations

· Survey clients, compile data from survey and prepare presentation about the survey

(Do my duties and responsibilities sound reasonable and match NOC 1241?)

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the undersigned.

Sincerely,

HR Manager's name

Please tell me if i need to add anything else :)
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)

victor101

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I am gathering my documents to submit my residency application under CEC, I would like to seek your inputs about my foreign work experience. My employment reference letter from my previous company in Japan only included 3 of my main duties: NOC 2233

Position: Quality Assurance Engineer

1. Conducted measurements and product inspection.
2. Gathered inspection results and report to group leader and supervisor.
3. Participated in improvement activities to optimize quality.

Will these be a concern in relation to my work experience? I will provide pay slip and tax certificate and contract to prove this work experience.

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
As of June 01, 2019, Mr. xxx has worked at xxx(company's name) for at least one (1) year, and gained the required skilled work experience of at least one (1) year in Canada to apply for permanent residence under NOC 1241 as stated on the official website of IRCC. (Here is my question, does this paragraph sound okay? i didnt put the start date because i started before it, but was working under study permit, thus can't claim point for it. I dont want to be misrepresenting by putting the actual start date because they may think that im claiming point for it. I will put the start date in my personal history. what do you think?)
Then why not say that in the letter? Exact dates matter. Not only does the above sound like you are trying to hide something, but the VO will have no choice but to ask for this information, delaying your application (if not outright refusing it for failure to convince him that you have the required experience).

Example: Mr X started working for us (part-time, presume?) on DATE while he was a student. He became a full-time employee after graduation, on DATE, and is currently employed in the same position.... "

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
<<<Duties and responsibilities handled by xxx are as follows:

· Open and distribute incoming mail to different staff in the department and others within the organization

· Greet clients, take questions and inquiries and direct them to appropriate inspectors or manager

· Survey clients, compile data from survey and prepare presentation about the survey

A majority of your duties are also consistent with office clerk (NOC 1411), which is level C and not eligible - I realize there looks like a lot of overlap between the two NOCs (and agree that the distinction is not so easy to make), but you don´t want to make it easy for the VO to see you as NOC 1411.

Suggest highlighting (putting at the top) the tasks that carry the greatest responsibility, and perhaps collapse some of the more clerk-like duties in to "general office support". As well, if you have any kind of supervisory responsibilities, you should add that.

I am NOT suggesting that you falsify anything, of course,, be honest, but you want the VO to be able to decide that it is NOC 1241 and not 1411...

Reactions: cappyoh

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
A majority of your duties are also consistent with office clerk (NOC 1411), which is level C and not eligible - I realize there looks like a lot of overlap between the two NOCs (and agree that the distinction is not so easy to make), but you don´t want to make it easy for the VO to see you as NOC 1411.

Suggest highlighting (putting at the top) the tasks that carry the greatest responsibility, and perhaps collapse some of the more clerk-like duties in to "general office support". As well, if you have any kind of supervisory responsibilities, you should add that.

I am NOT suggesting that you falsify anything, of course,, be honest, but you want the VO to be able to decide that it is NOC 1241 and not 1411...
Hi Jes_ON, thank you for your reply.

I didnt know that the two are that similar.

As for the arrangement, i only followed what was on the website, and since im in a union, i used the language of my union contract. Hopefully they will accept it.

cappyoh

Star Member
May 23, 2019
Then why not say that in the letter? Exact dates matter. Not only does the above sound like you are trying to hide something, but the VO will have no choice but to ask for this information, delaying your application (if not outright refusing it for failure to convince him that you have the required experience).

Example: Mr X started working for us (part-time, presume?) on DATE while he was a student. He became a full-time employee after graduation, on DATE, and is currently employed in the same position.... "
i did write an explanation letter saying why the letter says that i started a month after my actual start date. I already submitted my application. Thank you for your suggestion however.

Shivaniarora

Sep 12, 2019
Hello,
I am drafting the reference letter.

I have a question about the same,
Do I need a date on the top of the letter when it was drafted, or the signature of supervisor along with the date will do the work?

thank you!!!

samir5767

Jan 23, 2019
Hello,

Im drafting my reference letter for my employer to sign, and i need help with making sure that the letter meets the requirements and as clear as possible.

Here's a draft, please let me know if it sounds okay!

To whom it may concern:

RE: Employment Reference Letter for xxx – Administrative Assistant, NOC 1241

This letter of employment is being provided at the request of xxx to support his permanent resident application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Mr. xxx is currently working full time at xyz. He works a minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per week. His current rate of pay is $xx.xx per hour.

Duties and responsibilities handled by xxx are as follows:

If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the undersigned.

Sincerely,

HR Manager's name

Please tell me if i need to add anything else :)
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)
hi did you get your PR? can you please share your reference letter? thank you!!