+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recommend carrier for prepaid unlimited national calls, texts and 4G data

nyc2toronto

Sep 9, 2018
Hi, I'm moving from New York City where I had a great unlimited everything (national calls, texts and 4G data with hotspot) PREPAID plan from MetroPCS for around US$50.

Please recommend similar carriers in Toronto. I don't want to get into contracts; rather prepaid. Thanks!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I'm moving from New York City where I had a great unlimited everything (national calls, texts and 4G data with hotspot) PREPAID plan from MetroPCS for around US$50.

Please recommend similar carriers in Toronto. I don't want to get into contracts; rather prepaid. Thanks!
It is possible to have such things prepaid but not for 50 CAD / month (maybe in Quebec).
Especially prepaid services they like to charge more

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You're about to discover tat you're going to py a lot more fo a lot less in Canada. Data is very expensive in Canada.

eagerbeaver

Dec 9, 2011
You're about to discover tat you're going to p[a]y a lot more fo a lot less in Canada. Data is very expensive in Canada.
This is a common misperception. I pay $60CAD for Unlimited Canada-wide talk and text with 10GB of data. That is actually better than the US plan the OP was referencing, if you account for the exchange rate. I'm not in Toronto, so I can't directly assist with the OP's question, sadly.

On a more general note, as one learns about Canada, one realizes that Canadians prioritize different things compared to the US. Canadians prefer having universal public healthcare where you don't go bankrupt when you have the misfortune of a serious illness. Americans would rather save a few bucks on things like burgers and cell phone plans. I could go on, but you get the picture..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The OP says he has unlimited data. Only recently we got decently priced 10GB plans in Canada. In some prairie provinces and Quebec there is a bit more competition but not in the other provinces. Also 10GB is not prepaid.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
The OP says he has unlimited data. Only recently we got decently priced 10GB plans in Canada. In some prairie provinces and Quebec there is a bit more competition but not in the other provinces. Also 10GB is not prepaid.
How much average does it cost?

eagerbeaver

Dec 9, 2011
The OP says "unlimited everything (national calls, texts and 4G data with hotspot)." In other words, with hotspot. 10GB of data independent of hotspot is better than unlimited hotspot dependent data. Btw, there are plenty of cheap unlimited hotspot data options in Canada.

I do agree that cheaper data plans are more recent, but the OP did make the original post on Sept 9, 2018, assuming s/he's planning to move in the recent future. These cheap plans are available now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The OP says "unlimited everything (national calls, texts and 4G data with hotspot)." In other words, with hotspot. 10GB of data independent of hotspot is better than unlimited hotspot dependent data. Btw, there are plenty of cheap unlimited hotspot data options in Canada.

I do agree that cheaper data plans are more recent, but the OP did make the original post on Sept 9, 2018, assuming s/he's planning to move in the recent future. These cheap plans are available now.
Thanks for correcting me. Thought he was referring to unlimited data plans that were all over the US. I know it is harder to get. Prepaid will be the challenging part I think.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

Hotspot means he can use his phone as a WiFi source for other devices. It doesn’t mean he is dependent on “hotspot” for unlimited data.

eagerbeaver

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for correcting me. Thought he was referring to unlimited data plans that were all over the US. I know it is harder to get. Prepaid will be the challenging part I think.
No worries. Happy to help. Yeah, I wish options were uniform across Canada and not region dependent.

eagerbeaver

Dec 9, 2011
Hotspot means he can use his phone as a WiFi source for other devices. It doesn’t mean he is dependent on “hotspot” for unlimited data.
I mean this in the most polite way possible, but you are most certainly incorrect. What you are referring to is 'mobile hotspot' which is a hardware (phone) feature and is not relevant to the given context of cellphone plans. A wifi hotspot allows you to use the wifi at certain locations and is sometimes offered as a bundle by telecom companies.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I mean this in the most polite way possible, but you are most certainly incorrect. What you are referring to is 'mobile hotspot' which is a hardware (phone) feature and is not relevant to the given context of cellphone plans. A wifi hotspot allows you to use the wifi at certain locations and is sometimes offered as a bundle by telecom companies.
Appreciate your politeness and I reply with same politeness that you don't know what you're talking about. May be you could do a google search on Metropcs and see what the website says.
But in continuing with politeness let me do that for you. Request with politeness to click on the link and see for yourself. In the context of metropcs they refer to mobile hotspot only.

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/plans

nyc2toronto

Sep 9, 2018
Sorry, I've not had a chance to reconnect. Let me clarify. By hotspot, I meant I was able to use other devices connected to my phone as WiFi source.