+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received visa, but medical validity expired. Do I need to take medical exam again?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I think my medical exam is expired but my status on gckey is valid. Cic didn’t email me anything. I’m supposed to travel on Wednesday (next week). Now I’m full of anxiety... Can I still travel?
  • have valid immigration medical exam results (if you needed one)
    • Your exam is valid for 12 months from the day you get it.
    • It must be valid the day you enter Canada.
    • If your exam will expire before you enter Canada, you need to get another medical exam.
      • This applies even if your letter of introduction is still valid.
  • prove that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your stay.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival.html

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Hey all I'm facing the same issue my visa has become invalid and document counterfoil... the issue is medical has expired after 12 months before even reaching canada.. now the thing is I have redone my medical n I have got my e tracking document. But the visa is still invalid and the status will only change once an ircc approved medical officer clears our medical that's when the status changes.. dont assume that if your panel physician has done your exam and given you the UMI document you are clear to go.... I'm in a serious problem atm I have a flight to catch on 3 may and I did my remedical on 16 apr n got my tracking document on 20 apr still my Visa is invalid and I also contacted my embassy n they told me to email them with all the necessary documents such as flight tickets hotel quarantine.. and I also called ircc through someone in canada n they have emailed my query to the medical dept idk how long will it take for my status to change

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
Hey all I'm facing the same issue my visa has become invalid and document counterfoil... the issue is medical has expired after 12 months before even reaching canada.. now the thing is I have redone my medical n I have got my e tracking document. But the visa is still invalid and the status will only change once an ircc approved medical officer clears our medical that's when the status changes.. dont assume that if your panel physician has done your exam and given you the UMI document you are clear to go.... I'm in a serious problem atm I have a flight to catch on 3 may and I did my remedical on 16 apr n got my tracking document on 20 apr still my Visa is invalid and I also contacted my embassy n they told me to email them with all the necessary documents such as flight tickets hotel quarantine.. and I also called ircc through someone in canada n they have emailed my query to the medical dept idk how long will it take for my status to change
Hey, any updates?

bpur87

Jun 3, 2021
I think it is best not to do anything unless Ircc asks or gckey status changes. My gckey document status is valid but medical expired. They told me they extended it up to May.
Hey @mehdi.hasan were you able to fly? Did they allow you? My document is also 'valid' even after medical expiry. Sent new medical anyway and it's been 45 days but no answer. I have booked for the end of August. Please let me know what happened? @Tangerine__12

Deeshi

Aug 8, 2021
Hello Sir,
My name is Deeshi Parikh. I completed my first Program from Georgian College in April 2021. I applied for my study permit in August 2020 and recieved my PPR in April 2021. After 3months of lockdown in Mumbai my passport went for stamping in July 2021. I got my Passport stamped in August 2021 with Visa Validity till 31st December 2021. After which I got addmission for another program again at Georgian College for Fall 2021 (which means that I didn't change my DLI). My classes begin on 7 September 2021.
My doubts:-

1) Do I need to aaply for a new visa even if my study visa is valid till 31st December 2021 ( from the previous program)?

2)Or I need to apply for study permit extension inside or outside of Canada?

3) My medical has been expired, I received a letter IRCC on my gmail account. That I need to redo my medicals and after which I can travel. So for medicals nearest date I received was 25th August 2021. So can I travel to Canada after submitting my medicals?

Hope you help me clear these 3 doubts. Thank You.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello Sir,
My name is Deeshi Parikh. I completed my first Program from Georgian College in April 2021. I applied for my study permit in August 2020 and recieved my PPR in April 2021. After 3months of lockdown in Mumbai my passport went for stamping in July 2021. I got my Passport stamped in August 2021 with Visa Validity till 31st December 2021. After which I got addmission for another program again at Georgian College for Fall 2021 (which means that I didn't change my DLI). My classes begin on 7 September 2021.
My doubts:-

1) Do I need to aaply for a new visa even if my study visa is valid till 31st December 2021 ( from the previous program)?

2)Or I need to apply for study permit extension inside or outside of Canada?

3) My medical has been expired, I received a letter IRCC on my gmail account. That I need to redo my medicals and after which I can travel. So for medicals nearest date I received was 25th August 2021. So can I travel to Canada after submitting my medicals?

Hope you help me clear these 3 doubts. Thank You.
1. No, but you need carry new LOA when entering Canada.
2. What you have now is TRV that will facilitate traveling to Canada and you will be provided with Study PErmit at PoE if you meet all requirements. SP can have validity as per your program of study. IF need to extend, you can do so while in Canada. However, you need to travel before Dec 31st
3. Yes you can travel after your medical and soon after they update on your account.

rraj25

Oct 4, 2021
Hey @mehdi.hasan were you able to fly? Did they allow you? My document is also 'valid' even after medical expiry. Sent new medical anyway and it's been 45 days but no answer. I have booked for the end of August. Please let me know what happened? @Tangerine__12
Hi is your medical is validated now? Even I'm in same scenario it has been 45 days and no update from IRCC for my renewed medicals result.

PRIYANKAZ

Apr 26, 2019
IRCC didn't ask me to do medical again. When they issued VISA, my medical was already expired, but they didn't say anything about it. That's what made me confused if I should do it again without them asking. Do you know any way to talk to their representative and confirm this?
Hi I am in the same position right now!can you please tell how did you proceed in this situation?

Aksra

Jul 8, 2022
Hey can you let me know I'm in the same situation my re-medicals isn't updated but my document status is valid even after medical expiry? Were you able to travel without re-medicals? Did you face any immigration issues when you travelled to Canada? Please help me with your answers

Aksra

Jul 8, 2022
I'm in the same boat. I received a mail from IRCC asking me to redo medical before I can travel. I was supposed to travel on monday. Imagine that.
Hey! Were you able to travel with re-medicals without update in gckey? Can you please let me know. I'm travelling in a week and my re-medicals isn't updated yet . Is it safe to travel? Will there be any issues with immigration?

RAHULVAJPAYEE

Jul 27, 2018
Hey can you let me know I'm in the same situation my re-medicals isn't updated but my document status is valid even after medical expiry? Were you able to travel without re-medicals? Did you face any immigration issues when you travelled to Canada? Please help me with your answers
I am in a similar situation. I booked a flight on August 22, 2022 and did my re-medical today. My VISA status in CIC accounts says VALID. Can I travel?

RAHULVAJPAYEE

Jul 27, 2018
Hey! Were you able to travel with re-medicals without update in gckey? Can you please let me know. I'm travelling in a week and my re-medicals isn't updated yet . Is it safe to travel? Will there be any issues with immigration?
I am in a similar situation. I booked a flight on August 22, 2022 and did my re-medical today. My VISA status in CIC accounts says VALID. Can I travel?

RAHULVAJPAYEE

Jul 27, 2018
I think it is best not to do anything unless Ircc asks or gckey status changes. My gckey document status is valid but medical expired. They told me they extended it up to May.
Hi Mehdi,
I am in similar situation. Could you please let me know whether you were allowed to travel or not?