+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received Study Permit but can't check eTa status with eTa status tool

igortiz0907

Jul 12, 2018
Hello guys. I received my study permit on the 24th of May. On the POE/Letter of Introduction it says that my eTa was issued as part of my study permit application and that I do not need to apply for a new one. It also says the eTa number, the date it has been issued and the expiry date.

When I log in my GcKey account I can see that the status of my eTa is valid. However, when I check the status of my eTa using the eTa status tool, it says 'no matches'.

I have not applied for a new eTa. But if I apply for a new eTa, the eTa number will be different from the number shown on the Letter of Introduction.

What should I do? Do I need to apply for a new eTa? I hope this does not cause any problems when I arrive at the airport.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, you don't' need to apply for a new eTA. The one linked to your study permit is valid and will work at the airport, that's standard practice.

Reactions: igortiz0907

igortiz0907

Jul 12, 2018
No, you don't' need to apply for a new eTA. The one linked to your study permit is valid and will work at the airport, that's standard practice.
But is there a reason why I can't find my eTa status using the online tool? Maybe it does not appear because I received it with my study permit?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
But is there a reason why I can't find my eTa status using the online tool? Maybe it does not appear because I received it with my study permit?
Not sure about that, but it's definitely a valid ETA. If you search for "Study Permit ETA Canada" you'll get lots of info on this.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
OK, I just did a check and this looks to be a tool to check your application status for eTA. You never made an application for eTA, you were granted one with your study permit. Therefore your GC Key account is correct when saying your eTA is valid.

Reactions: igortiz0907

Alessia1997

Jun 13, 2019
I have the same problem with my eTA. I had a working holiday visa 3 years ago and my eTA was issued with my working holiday visa now when I check the status It says no match

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I have the same problem with my eTA. I had a working holiday visa 3 years ago and my eTA was issued with my working holiday visa now when I check the status It says no match
Unless you applied for the eTA separately I don't think the tool would help you.

Alessia1997

Jun 13, 2019
I agree with you, I heard that A lot of people, who had an eTA issued with a visa, when they checked the status of their eTA it said Not match. I hope that at the airport I will not have issues about this

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I agree with you, I heard that A lot of people, who had an eTA issued with a visa, when they checked the status of their eTA it said Not match. I hope that at the airport I will not have issues about this
No, you should not have an issue. If your GCkey account say it's valid, then you're good to go.

Alessia1997

Jun 13, 2019
When I applied for WHV(3 years ago) in my GCkey it was valid but I didn’t check the status. But now that I will travel to Canada for a month for holidays, I checked the status of my eTA and said not match.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
When I applied for WHV(3 years ago) in my GCkey it was valid but I didn’t check the status. But now that I will travel to Canada for a month for holidays, I checked the status of my eTA and said not match.
So, you are checking in GC Key or the eTA status tool. How long is your eTA valid for ? If you are just visiting for holidays, it might be better to just apply for a fresh eTA.