+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received RQ

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
Hello,

I had applied for Canadian citizenship in June 2014 and i received the acknowledgement and 'discover Canada' booklet.

Recently i received RQ and I have to send it within 45 days. I was kind of expecting this...

I immigrated to Canada as PR in June 2006 and lived there for 3 yrs( i have fulfilled the basic residency requirement-1095 days) before moving to USA in 2009. My husband is a Canadian citizen. Also, i got my PR renewed while I was living in USA. After we moved to USA we have visited Canada on and off for visa renewal and other personal occasions too.

So now that i have received RQ, my question is after i complete the RQ application and send it to them, once they review it say after 35 months, will they grant me citizenship?

Else i read in some websites that they might revoke my PR status as well... Is that true??

I am not sure whether to fill out the RQ application or not???

I would really appreciate if someone who has been in the same situation or knows something about this reply.

Thank you.

Explorer_on

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer_on said:
Hello,

I had applied for Canadian citizenship in June 2014 and i received the acknowledgement and 'discover Canada' booklet.

Recently i received RQ and I have to send it within 45 days. I was kind of expecting this...

I immigrated to Canada as PR in June 2006 and lived there for 3 yrs( i have fulfilled the basic residency requirement-1095 days) before moving to USA in 2009. My husband is a Canadian citizen. Also, i got my PR renewed while I was living in USA. After we moved to USA we have visited Canada on and off for visa renewal and other personal occasions too.

So now that i have received RQ, my question is after i complete the RQ application and send it to them, once they review it say after 35 months, will they grant me citizenship?

Else i read in some websites that they might revoke my PR status as well... Is that true??

I would really appreciate if someone who has been in the same situation or knows something about this reply.

Thank you.

Explorer_on
Firstly, don't worry relax. There are somethings I am not able to catch. You said :

-You immigrated in 2006 and lived 3 years continuously.
-You applied for citizenship in June 2014, so this means you should have stayed for 3 years out of the 4 years in Canada to qualify. This takes us back to 2010. This means the period from 2006-2009 wouldn't qualify for citizenship, bcoz it falls out of the 4 year period range prior to June 2014.
-Could you describe your travel history in a biTg more detail.

In your case you can loose your PR if :
-You are in violation of your Residency obligation, if they look back 5 years from the date of your citizenship application?

I am not an expert or a lawyer, but I know the rules. I can advise you only if you let me know your travel history 5 years back from the date you applied for Citizenship. If you are full-filling your residence days --730 days out of the 5 years then no one can revoke your PR.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, as SinghLovCan said, it's three out of the LAST FOUR years that counts, so if you were in Canada for three years before 2010, those years DO NOT count in regard to an application for citizenship submitted just this year. You should have applied for citizenship in 2009, as soon as you had three years of residence. While it is true that living outside Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse counts for PR purposes (i.e. allows you to maintain PR status), it does NOT count for citizenship purposes. So, that's why you received an RQ.

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
I appreciate your reply SinghlovCan and alphazip.

So i am not eligible to apply for citizenship:(

Regarding my PR status, i have been living with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. Based on this i got my PR renewed while in was in USA in 2013. As it clearly stated that each day spent outside canada living with a canadian citizen is considered as i have lived in Canada.

My travel details:
Canada PR status: 19 jun 2006
Visit to US(medical purpose): may2008(for 1week)
Visit to India: dec 2008-(2 weeks)
Moved to USA: 25 aug 2009
Visa process: 3 days spent in canada in april 2010( don't remember exact date)
PR renewal : feb 2013
Personal visit: 4 days spent in canada in jan 2014
Visa n personal visit: 6 days spent in Canada in april 2014

Hope this helps to advise on PR card issue....i hope it will not be revoked and by your suggestions i feel that i should withdraw my citizenship application so that it will affect my PR status..

Explorer_on

sharuu

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2009
Visa Office......
Buff - Ott
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2011
AOR Received.
September 2011
File Transfer...
July 2012
Passport Req..
December 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 2012
LANDED..........
February 2013
Where is this written? This is absolutely incorrect information and that is the main reason why you not eligible for citizenship. You need ro prove your residency - the time you have lived within Canada which should be 3 years of the last 4 years!

explorer_on said:
I appreciate your reply SinghlovCan and alphazip.

So i am not eligible to apply for citizenship:(

Regarding my PR status, i have been living with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. Based on this i got my PR renewed while in was in USA in 2013. As it clearly stated that each day spent outside canada living with a canadian citizen is considered as i have lived in Canada.

My travel details:
Canada PR status: 19 jun 2006
Visit to US(medical purpose): may2008(for 1week)
Visit to India: dec 2008-(2 weeks)
Moved to USA: 25 aug 2009
Visa process: 3 days spent in canada in april 2010( don't remember exact date)
PR renewal : feb 2013
Personal visit: 4 days spent in canada in jan 2014
Visa n personal visit: 6 days spent in Canada in april 2014

Hope this helps to advise on PR card issue....i hope it will not be revoked and by your suggestions i feel that i should withdraw my citizenship application so that it will affect my PR status..

Explorer_on

love bird 43

Aug 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer_on said:
Hello,

Hi,
You cannot lose pr,,,if you have lived outside canada with canadian spouse,,,,,,that days will count in residency as a pr,its a law,,,,,,,,,,but not to apply citizenship.

Thank you.

Explorer_on

love bird 43

Aug 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
explorer_on said:
Hello,

Thank you.

Explorer_on
Hi
You cannot lose your pr status,if you lived with your canadian spouse outside canada,,,,the days will count residency towards pr,,,,but not for citizenship,,,
Its the law.

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
sharuu said:
Where is this written? This is absolutely incorrect information and that is the main reason why you not eligible for citizenship. You need ro prove your residency - the time you have lived within Canada which should be 3 years of the last 4 years!
I appreciate your response Sharuu. I got the point that i am not eligible to apply for citizenship n thanks Singhlovcan and alphazip.

The above statement is for my PR that is mentioned on cic website:

"You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

explorer_on

Jun 12, 2012
love bird 43 said:
Hi
You cannot lose your pr status,if you lived with your canadian spouse outside canada,,,,the days will count residency towards pr,,,,but not for citizenship,,,
Its the law.
Thank you love bird 43.

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Living abroad with a canadian citizen only counts for PR requirements not for citizenship.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
explorer_on said:
I appreciate your response Sharuu. I got the point that i am not eligible to apply for citizenship n thanks Singhlovcan and alphazip.

The above statement is for my PR that is mentioned on cic website:

"You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).
.... Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada .... Canadian citizen that is working for a Canadian business; that I believe is the full condition.
Honestly, we talking here about residency. It is a case these days in media, a family that was requested by CRA to pay back the child benefits and other tax breaks because was not residing in Canada in the last 9 yrs. In the eye of law, and that is not only in Canada, if you are absent more than 183 days you are not considered a resident of Canada.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
How can a person payoff 9 years of absence of childtax as its a huge amount with areal interest. If i imagine it can be anything between 50K to 100K
why there is no punishment and people get away by just paying off

era1521 said:
.... Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada .... Canadian citizen that is working for a Canadian business; that I believe is the full condition.
Honestly, we talking here about residency. It is a case these days in media, a family that was requested by CRA to pay back the child benefits and other tax breaks because was not residing in Canada in the last 9 yrs. In the eye of law, and that is not only in Canada, if you are absent more than 183 days you are not considered a resident of Canada.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
check the following link in regards to citizenship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=370&t=5

For PR, time spent outside canada along with citizen counts but not for citizenship

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
era1521 said:
Sorry, but that is incorrect. If a PR is outside Canada with a Canadian-citizen spouse, he/she maintains her PR status, because days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse are counted the same as days spent IN Canada. (The spouse does not have to work for a Canadian company.) However, days spent outside Canada do NOT count toward citizenship. Taxation rules, PR rules, and citizenship rules are all different.