+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received PR visa, but not yet landed now want to marry Please advise

cappuccino123

Mar 19, 2012
Hi,

I have gone through the topic on Spouse Sponsorship which is posted on the forum however I could not find answers close to my case. Now I am confused, please help

I am from India I have received Canadian PR visa, but not yet landed. I have a boyfriend and want to marry him. If I get married before landing, my PR visa becomes invalid because my family composition will get change. If I inform the embassy that I got married, they will tell me that my PR visa is now invalid and will advise me to send my passport back to them as well as immigration forms for my (would be) husband and his (applicable) fees. My husband's name will then be added to my application and new PR visas will be issued for both of us.

My Questions are:

1. My Visa Office is New Delhi, what would be my actual processing or waiting time (in months) to get my Revised PR Visa (which includes my husband and my PR Visa) after I submit the entire requested documents i.e PCC, medical and filled forms?
2. The time taken to process our PR Visa (as per the question 1) would be case specific (my bf has no travel history nor convicted ever) or it would be processed immediately (in weeks)?
3. I am adopting this path to avoid any issues later related to ongoing Marriage of Convenience fraud as I am declaring the Embassy well in advance. So is it fine?
4. Or it is wise if I land in Canada without marrying him. Wait till I get my PR Card then come down to India and marry him. Later apply for sponsorship through outland once I land in Canada again.
5. If I land first in Canada without marrying, then come back and get married in India, what should be my minimum and maximum stay in Canada so that V/O considers my marriage as genuine when I apply later for my spouse sponsorship? Care would be taken that we keep ample of photos of our engagement, traditional marriage, marriage certificate, online chats, telephone bills as evidence to prove it?
6. Sorry to be pessimist, if my husband does not clear his medical will my PR visa would be cancelled?
7. Also please advise us, which would be the best option - either I marry now and add my husband to my application so we can both go to Canada as PR together OR I land first, then come back and get married, then go back to Canada and sponsor.

Thanks in advance

jimmy_kallarackal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 29 2010
Med's Request
March-16-2011
Med's Done....
April-18-2011
Passport Req..
18-May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-June-2011
LANDED..........
27-Oct-2011
Lot of questions i have been in the same boat as you...

Leon suggested me to land first. So i did my landing and returned with PR Card, got married recently last month.. Now would move to canada after putting file for wife....

I think thats the best way as suggested by everyone get your visa in hand s first.. Regarding timing and other queries leon can guide

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
6. Yes, if your husband does not pass his medical, he will not be issued a PR visa and you will not get one either. This is if you add him to your application before you land. So if you know he won't pass a medical, don't get married before you land.
If you land as single, then go back and marry him, even if he fails the medical then, you can still sponsor him, because for spousal sponsorships the applicant is excessive medical demand exempt.

canadadubai

Star Member
Apr 11, 2012
Same questions I posted earlier and wish get real logical answer! My case is the same as yours!
For me I will return back my passport and update my family composition, I am not ready to leave my wife for two years as I can see and live there alone!! What is the use of getting married then!
I hope they will process my new application faster than if I go and landing first

Good luck

ednormel

Feb 23, 2012
hello guys please advice me..

I'm done with my application. VISA STAMPED already in the passport under live-in caregiver program. Visa expiration is APRIL 2013.
My fiancee and I already made the schedule to our consulate regarding our wedding it will be on JUNE 2012. I am planning to land after Ramadan. ( September ).

Please advise me, Is it ok to get married? without informing the immigration. Some people told me it's fine as long as no registration made from our side. Quite confusing. Please help

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ednormel said:
hello guys please advice me..

I'm done with my application. VISA STAMPED already in the passport under live-in caregiver program. Visa expiration is APRIL 2013.
My fiancee and I already made the schedule to our consulate regarding our wedding it will be on JUNE 2012. I am planning to land after Ramadan. ( September ).

Please advise me, Is it ok to get married? without informing the immigration. Some people told me it's fine as long as no registration made from our side. Quite confusing. Please help

Thanks
No - it's not OK to get married and then land without adding your fiancee to your application. If you do that, you will NEVER be able to sponsor your fiancee to come to Canada. You will also be committing misrepresentation by stating you are single when you are landing (when you're actually married). CIC can cancel your PR status if they find out about this misrepresentation.

You have two choices:

1) Land first then get married.

2) Get married first. Return your visa and inform CIC that you are now married. Submit the paperwork, fees and supporting documentation for your fiancee and wait for the file to be processed. Once CIC completes the review and sends visas for both of you - you can then come to Canada and land.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ednormel said:
Is it ok to get married? without informing the immigration. Some people told me it's fine as long as no registration made from our side.
It is not OK. These people mean that they know someone who got married before landing and didn't tell CIC about it, but because CIC didn't find out, they were able to sponsor their spouse later.
This may occasionally happen. But far more often CIC does find out, and then the spouse can never be sponsored. And the sponsor can also lose his/her PR for lying.

ednormel

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply.. My sister is also there in Canada.. I will ask her about this. I don't know what to do.. And our wedding preparation is ongoing;((.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ednormel said:
Thanks for the reply.. My sister is also there in Canada.. I will ask her about this. I don't know what to do.. And our wedding preparation is ongoing;((.
You can fly to Canada in April or May, land - and then return to your home country and marry.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes. If you have the PR visa already, you can come to Canada and 'land'. You will then be a PR. You can then leave Canada, go back home and stay for a while. If you then get married, you can return to Canada as a PR, and then sponsor your husband.

ednormel

Feb 23, 2012
I already have my VISA ( WORKER ) stamped on my passport.. LIVE IN CAREGIVER, my uncle is my employer. By the way I am here in Dubai. I really dont know what to do. :(( So it's better if I land first then get married? ....