Med's Done....
20-06-2015
Passport Req..
24-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-08-2015
Please could you share your experiences and how it went at the border, the type of information or documents you needed etc.

This will help everyone that's still to land.

Here's my story.

got my package when i got home August 6th

I received 2 copies of my confirmation of permanent residency and some info sheets.

Went to flag pole at Pacific hwy, no problems. super easy he didn't even ask for any additional documents. I did take proof of employment pay stub and other bits of info just incase.

Was in there for about 20-30 mins.

Good luck to everyone with their processes.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone from outside Canada share their experience/s too plz

esantos

Jan 30, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
13-Apr-2015
File Transfer...
12-May-2015
Med's Done....
07-Apr-2015
Passport Req..
23-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
07-Aug-2015
Alright guys, all done with my landing.

Where do I start tho?! :-\

So... I live in Toronto and did some research on which border would be best for landing. The closest and best place, according to old and fairly new threads in Canada Visa forum, is Fort Erie (Peace Bridge). It's about 2hrs drive from Toronto, considering traffic. Not too bad.

So I went there today (Friday, August 7). Many users pointed out that in this specific border you are not required to actually go to the US, you have the option of taking a "u-turn" before entering the bridge to go to US (it actually says "Return here for Canada border office"), and so I did. I took the u-turn and headed straight back to the Canadian border. At the gate I had no issues, the officer asked me where I was coming from, so I said "Toronto, I took the u-turn", he was ok with that. I explained that I was there to do the flag-pole. So he directed me to the immigration office. Inside the building, I waited in line. After about 20min in line, I got to speak to the officer. He said I should not have taken the u-turn and that I had to take another u-turn, but this time go back to the bridge and enter the US, and then come back to do the flag-pole. He asked me at that point why I didn't book it at my local Immigration Office (in Toronto) and I explained that by booking it takes about 2 months to get an appointment and I needed me PR card asap cuz I wanted to go home for Christmas. He said "oh ok! makes sense!!".

I went back to the bridge and got to the US border office. They provided me a white paper with the refusal of entry (which I didn't want to get but they said it was ok, it wouldn't be in my records that I had an entry refused... not sure if I believe in this hahah) and headed back to the Canadian border. This time I had to wait another 20-30min in line. the officer called me. she was, somewhat, friendly. Didn't seem very interested on doing my flag-pole, but I guess she took it as "it's my job, so whatever..". She asked me why I didn't book an appointment with a local immigration office, and again I answered the same answer previously given to another officer. She said "you could have done your flag-pole when coming back from your country, after Christmas then...". She took about 25min, doing something on the computer. Didn't ask me any questions, didn't say anything. then she says "Oh, how many PR applications do you have?" I answered just one. "She said, I see 2 in the system". So I figured she was talking about the one from last year, returned due to the cap being filled. I explained that to her and she was ok with it. After some time she transferred me to another officer. It took another 45min. He asked me the statutory questions. Asked for proof of funds (and he said "You were smart to bring the proof of funds, otherwise we would be all over the place now"). Asked me to sign both COPRs Explained that the card will be mailed within 6 to 8 weeks. Congratulated and welcomed me to Canada. Overall the officers were friendly and nice.

That was my experience doing the flag-pole at Fort Erie - Peace Bridge.

(sorry about the long post guys :-[ :-X)

tbcan

Star Member
Apr 2, 2015
landed at Coutts today

no issues - took a couple of hours with delays (people with issues ahead of us) + traffic each way, but actual process took 10minutes i guess

asked
1) if committed crime / been refused entry at any point
2) if i had any other dependants than listed

3) what my current status was (implied), so i showed confirmation of application for extension and that was fine.

that was it.... sign here... welcome to Canada!!

NB - i took the follow documents for peace of mind incase they asked...
- copy of Canadian Bank Statements
- copy of employment offers / contracts
- proof that i stopped working at the end of my permit (letter from employer / final pay-stubs)

Wizzy87

Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
Doc's Request.
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-06-2015
Passport Req..
24-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-08-2015
Congrats both of you guys. Feels good.

Sounds like quite the entry esantos!
It does say on the papers you receive that you must leave Canada and enter the U.S. Then come back to Canada.

The border guard from the U.S literally put "flag poling" and I was sent back to Canada.

k3ndy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
esantos said:
Alright guys, all done with my landing.

Where do I start tho?! :-\

So... I live in Toronto and did some research on which border would be best for landing. The closest and best place, according to old and fairly new threads in Canada Visa forum, is Fort Erie (Peace Bridge). It's about 2hrs drive from Toronto, considering traffic. Not too bad.

So I went there today (Friday, August 7). Many users pointed out that in this specific border you are not required to actually go to the US, you have the option of taking a "u-turn" before entering the bridge to go to US (it actually says "Return here for Canada border office"), and so I did. I took the u-turn and headed straight back to the Canadian border. At the gate I had no issues, the officer asked me where I was coming from, so I said "Toronto, I took the u-turn", he was ok with that. I explained that I was there to do the flag-pole. So he directed me to the immigration office. Inside the building, I waited in line. After about 20min in line, I got to speak to the officer. He said I should not have taken the u-turn and that I had to take another u-turn, but this time go back to the bridge and enter the US, and then come back to do the flag-pole. He asked me at that point why I didn't book it at my local Immigration Office (in Toronto) and I explained that by booking it takes about 2 months to get an appointment and I needed me PR card asap cuz I wanted to go home for Christmas. He said "oh ok! makes sense!!".

I went back to the bridge and got to the US border office. They provided me a white paper with the refusal of entry (which I didn't want to get but they said it was ok, it wouldn't be in my records that I had an entry refused... not sure if I believe in this hahah) and headed back to the Canadian border. This time I had to wait another 20-30min in line. the officer called me. she was, somewhat, friendly. Didn't seem very interested on doing my flag-pole, but I guess she took it as "it's my job, so whatever..". She asked me why I didn't book an appointment with a local immigration office, and again I answered the same answer previously given to another officer. She said "you could have done your flag-pole when coming back from your country, after Christmas then...". She took about 25min, doing something on the computer. Didn't ask me any questions, didn't say anything. then she says "Oh, how many PR applications do you have?" I answered just one. "She said, I see 2 in the system". So I figured she was talking about the one from last year, returned due to the cap being filled. I explained that to her and she was ok with it. After some time she transferred me to another officer. It took another 45min. He asked me the statutory questions. Asked for proof of funds (and he said "You were smart to bring the proof of funds, otherwise we would be all over the place now"). Asked me to sign both COPRs Explained that the card will be mailed within 6 to 8 weeks. Congratulated and welcomed me to Canada. Overall the officers were friendly and nice.

That was my experience doing the flag-pole at Fort Erie - Peace Bridge.

(sorry about the long post guys :-[ :-X)
Seems like you are the only one so far they asked about proof of funds? What did you bring for that? bank statement?

variazioni

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I lived outside Canada. I landed at Vancouver international airport last Saturday. One of the officer gave me some brochure about helpful information and told me to apply for sin and medical insurance ASAP. And then I talked to VO.I brought all my paperwork I submitted. But VO didn't look at anything except visa and copr. He asked these questions:

1. Marrital status
2. Any kids.
3. Any crime history.
4. How much money you carry.(If more than $10,000 you need to fill out paperwork)
5. Your address in Canada. (For mailing purpose)

Everything went really smoothly. VO told me 1. I need to apply for sin soon. 2. I need to stay 2 years out of 5. 3. If I wanna go back to my country, immigrant visa won't work anymore. I need to contact cic to issue new paperwork.

It takes about 10-15 minutes for each person. The process shouldn't be a problem to you. Just relax and be honest :)

poohta

Feb 5, 2015
tbcan said:
landed at Coutts today

no issues - took a couple of hours with delays (people with issues ahead of us) + traffic each way, but actual process took 10minutes i guess

asked

3) what my current status was (implied), so i showed confirmation of application for extension and that was fine.

- proof that i stopped working at the end of my permit (letter from employer / final pay-stubs)
Did you bring bank statement which was issued for submitting application ? or did you get new one ?

poohta

Feb 5, 2015
tbcan said:
landed at Coutts today

asked

I got a speeding ticket on the other day, I should say YES for the question if I have been charged or committed crime??

Wizzy87

Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2015
Doc's Request.
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-06-2015
Passport Req..
24-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2015
LANDED..........
06-08-2015
poohta said:
I got a speeding ticket on the other day, I should say YES for the question if I have been charged or committed crime??
no, a speeding ticket is not a criminal offence. its a traffic offence and doesn't affect your criminal record.

jaffa83

Nov 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Exp Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4/06/2015
AOR Received.
4/7/2015
Passport Req..
7/16/2015
VISA ISSUED...
7/24/2015
LANDED..........
8/5/2015
Wizzy87 said:
no, a speeding ticket is not a criminal offence. its a traffic offence and doesn't affect your criminal record.
Yes, I agree. Unless you got charged for DUI, traffic offences will not be a problem.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
So as the law stands right now, to apply for citizenship, both my wife and I have to stay for 4 out of 6 years. Correct?

If I don't go out of the country once I do my landing, do I apply after four years or do I still have to apply after six?

I've been here three years. If the old rule was still in place, it would have helped a bit.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
variazioni said:
I lived outside Canada. I landed at Vancouver international airport last Saturday. One of the officer gave me some brochure about helpful information and told me to apply for sin and medical insurance ASAP. And then I talked to VO.I brought all my paperwork I submitted. But VO didn't look at anything except visa and copr. He asked these questions:

1. Marrital status
2. Any kids.
3. Any crime history.
4. How much money you carry.(If more than $10,000 you need to fill out paperwork)
5. Your address in Canada. (For mailing purpose)

Everything went really smoothly. VO told me 1. I need to apply for sin soon. 2. I need to stay 2 years out of 5. 3. If I wanna go back to my country, immigrant visa won't work anymore. I need to contact cic to issue new paperwork.

It takes about 10-15 minutes for each person. The process shouldn't be a problem to you. Just relax and be honest :)
Thanks a lot for the post
Did you take a bank statement?
Any idea about how to get the travel papers if I want to travel outside the country?
Do they ask you how long the stay is for?

Thanks

lotusEsp

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
mazamilam said:
So as the law stands right now, to apply for citizenship, both my wife and I have to stay for 4 out of 6 years. Correct?

If I don't go out of the country once I do my landing, do I apply after four years or do I still have to apply after six?

I've been here three years. If the old rule was still in place, it would have helped a bit.
It's 4 years AFTER you get PR - any time spent in Canada (i.e. as a temporary foreign worker) doesnt count:

You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application
When calculating time you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident of Canada.