+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received a pre-arrival letter, but no COPR yet?

pathCanada

Star Member
May 1, 2021
I applied for my Start-Up Visa application in December 2020 along with my teammates and we received our pre-arrival letter in May 2023. It's now been 4 months since the pre-arrival letter. Is there anyone else having the same problem with no news from the IRCC for receiving COPR among SUV applicants? What could possibly be wrong? please share your thoughts with me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I applied for my Start-Up Visa application in December 2020 along with my teammates and we received our pre-arrival letter in May 2023. It's now been 4 months since the pre-arrival letter. Is there anyone else having the same problem with no news from the IRCC for receiving COPR among SUV applicants? What could possibly be wrong? please share your thoughts with me.
I don't think anything is wrong. IRCC normally sends the pre-arrival letter before they are ready to issue the COPR and before all processing of the application is completed.

pathCanada

Star Member
May 1, 2021
I don't think anything is wrong. IRCC normally sends the pre-arrival letter before they are ready to issue the COPR and before all processing of the application is completed.
I'm very hope so. But do you think 4 months of waiting is normal after pre-arrival? I'm pretty concerned.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm very hope so. But do you think 4 months of waiting is normal after pre-arrival? I'm pretty concerned.
Yes, this looks very normal to me. This happens in other immigration program too. The pre-arrival letter is issued quite early in the process, months before IRCC has completed reviewing the application and months before COPR.

Reactions: _V_K_

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Yes, this looks very normal to me. This happens in other immigration program too. The pre-arrival letter is issued quite early in the process, months before IRCC has completed reviewing the application and months before COPR.
So if one has not even gotten the PAL, they are many months from any sort of decision?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So if one has not even gotten the PAL, they are many months from any sort of decision?
Not necessarily. Sometimes PAL is sent and then the application is finalize soon afterwards. Sometimes PAL is sent much earlier. IRCC isn't really consistent with this. However it's not unusual to receive PAL and then not have a result for several months afterwards.

pathCanada

Star Member
May 1, 2021
Not necessarily. Sometimes PAL is sent and then the application is finalize soon afterwards. Sometimes PAL is sent much earlier. IRCC isn't really consistent with this. However it's not unusual to receive PAL and then not have a result for several months afterwards.
what‘s the longest waiting time for COPR after pre-arrival you have seen? Will it be 12 months? Because then documents might need updates or medical examination can expire. I appreciate your input.

manupmathew

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Start-Up Visa application in September 2020 along with my teammates and we received our pre-arrival letter in May -Jun 2023. Maximum time taken after PAL is 3 months. I don't know what really stopping them from issuing COPR.

IRCC site says the processing time is 37 Months, we are in 36th month. We are planning to raise a web forum if they cross the normal processing time.

Usual Processing as follows
  1. 1 to 1.5 months from AOR to Completeness Check (R10), Medical (MEP) & Biometric (BIL)
  2. Another 1 month to Review of Eligibility Stage 1 by an analyst or an assistant
  3. Another 1.5 to 3 months to Review of Eligibility Stage 2 by an officer
  4. Usually Eligibility Review (Stage 1&2) is completed by 4-5 months post AOR
  5. If the application has crossed 2-3 months post Review of Eligibility, then the likelihood of being in security screening is very high. Most security checks are done within 1 month; longer up to 1 to 2 years if in enhanced screening. If it has been more than 2 months since the Eligibility Review was "Passed" and security has not yet concluded, the application may be in enhanced screening.

Last edited:

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Start-Up Visa application in September 2020 along with my teammates and we received our pre-arrival letter in May -Jun 2023. Maximum time taken after PAL is 3 months. I don't know what really stopping them from issuing COPR.

IRCC site says the processing time is 37 Months, we are in 36th month. We are planning to raise a web forum if they cross the normal processing time.

Usual Processing as follows
  1. 1 to 1.5 months from AOR to Completeness Check (R10), Medical (MEP) & Biometric (BIL)
  2. Another 1 month to Review of Eligibility Stage 1 by an analyst or an assistant
  3. Another 1.5 to 3 months to Review of Eligibility Stage 2 by an officer
  4. Usually Eligibility Review (Stage 1&2) is completed by 4-5 months post AOR
  5. If the application has crossed 2-3 months post Review of Eligibility, then the likelihood of being in security screening is very high. Most security checks are done within 1 month; longer up to 1 to 2 years if in enhanced screening. If it has been more than 2 months since the Eligibility Review was "Passed" and security has not yet concluded, the application may be in enhanced screening.
Where did you find these processing times? I assume these are for SUV only, not self-employed visa.

pathCanada

Star Member
May 1, 2021
I know 13 SUV applications applied from September 2020 -- February 2021 who had the same problem of being stuck with their Pre-arrival letter step. I don't think the IRCC is following any time commitment here.