+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reasons for refusal?

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what are the main reasons given for refusal. I know many cases they say they don't believe the relationship is genuine. But I was wondering what factors they use to determine that.
Do they give a more detailed reason than that for the refusal?

I know people who have been married 20, 30, even 40 years who would have a difficult time proving their love foreach other. LOL

Thanks for any info?

Good luck to everyone.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
A common reason for refusal is misrepresentation. Lying or hiding any facts or twisting the truth can all be seen as "misrepresentation" and is grounds for refusal... even if it is a minor thing, to them it questions your integrity.

Another reason for refusal can be your background, namely any criminal background, or association with some form of extremist groups that are considered to be a threat.

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
For me, the most discomforting reason they explore to base their refusal is difference in culture of the couple and their backgrounds. If they belong to very different societies, then factor for "marriage of convenience" comes into play very strongly, in their assessment.

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
Gotchaa said:
For me, the most discomforting reason they explore to base their refusal is difference in culture of the couple and their backgrounds. If they belong to very different societies, then factor for "marriage of convenience" comes into play very strongly, in their assessment.
with all respect i dont agree with difference in culture of couples they refuse cases as many people meet each other through internet and later get marry and they accept every thing,

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
With all due respect search the cases which have been refused due to difference in culture and you might change your opinion.

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/15/bc-muslimwife.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-blog/2006_07_01_archive.html

READ THE ABOVE LINKS PLEASE

Bluff Master

Star Member
Feb 12, 2008
This is really a shocking article.

Who gave the right to the visa officer to decide whio should attend the marriage?
I am really disappointed.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
It's sickening that everything that has to do with human rights, burden of proof, that Canada is supposed to be built on is completely ignored when it comes to immigration. OK, I understand there has to be some process for screening out "threats" to the country, and I appreciate that, but to simply have it where an IO can arbitrarily inflict his/her beliefs and use that to destroy a family?? That says something about this country.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
TD and BM..

Remember that Canadian immigration officers are human, too. They can make decisions based on emotion even though they shouldn't.

All things considered, Canada and Canadians show an amazing amount of tolerance for immigration and immigrants. Try immigrating to some country in the Mid-East, SE Asia, etc. and see what kind of reception you get.

Keep all things in perspective.

Reactions: rogerEE

shamindo

Aug 31, 2007
i agree it is shocking, on the bright side, the first article did say that 53 percent of the overseas cases were overturned in canadian court. its kind of a sticky situation, (and i'm not defending what they are doing in anyway) but how can the immigration office bbe sure they are letting people in that really are in a "genuine" marriage, or are marrying their way into the country. It is such a huge problem, its scary that they haven't found a better way of dealing with it. People are marrying their way in canada left, right and center while Genuine couples are getting their personal lives investigated. Honestly, when i was filling out the application on how we met and places we went i felt like i was writing in my diary! Why can't they have a system where spouses are aloud in but maybe after a period of five years you have to prove that your marriage is still up and running.

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
It is understandable from CIC's point of view to be cocerned about marriage of convenience since it is a major way of abusing the immigration system to enter Canada , I can safely say that atleast for Pakistan, that men have been and are still doing that. In my opinion CIC should also get a bond signed by the migrating spouse that he/she cannot sponsor someone as spouse from anywhere atleast till sponsor's liability of three years in not over. What happens is that usually men divorce the sponsors after reaching Canada and marry the actual one's they want to marry from their own country and bring them in as spouse. The sponsor is stuck with the bond while sponsored person is free to do whatever he/she wants. The most hardest brunt of this is felt by genuine couples who go through the risk of their applications being refused as evident from some cases in the media. The irony is that those who got ill intensions are able to dodge CIC, while the honest, truthful and law abiding applicants go through severe checks from CIC at the cost of abusers and probably get a refusal in the end as well. CIC should not deepfry the ones who get stuck in their fishnet because of their honest declarations and providing all genuine information, but rather make their system more tougher so that abusers must realise its not worth going to Canada this way and any couple wishing to reunite must think twice carefully what kind of commitment it is for BOTH persons.

BlueDimple

Feb 16, 2008
Gotchaa said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/15/bc-muslimwife.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-blog/2006_07_01_archive.html

READ THE ABOVE LINKS PLEASE

Those were some interesting articles.. thanks.

Pearlp

Feb 11, 2008
In my opanion an immgration officer can not know which is a genuine relationship and which is not. When someone hounest goes to an interview they make them so unwelcome that they become nerves and they make some mistakes so they beleive that this person is false and just married for papers.

I wonder a lot of times if immigration officers know so much that who is the one who married for papers only then why is that that we still have so many people come in with lies and use us canadians to get in here?

May be immigration should have a different way to judge the true and the false because what ever they doing now is not working.

Pearlp

chelidio

Jun 25, 2007
Hello all,

Reading the articles provided, I am very concerned about how my immigration application will result. It is very discomforting to know that the genuinity of your relations is checked by an officer who doesn't know anything about your relation. Globalization and access to worldwide media has created many different types of people and cultural norms in the countries worlwide. Generalising people under what they call cultural norms sounds so weird to me. I am officially a Muslim but never practiced any type of religion in my entire life as my wife is being officially Christian who hasn't been to a church since Jesus only knows when... So are they questioning our cultural differences or the differences in religions ? In addition there are so many different types of doctrines in all the religions and they all have their own customs. So shall we assume a CIC officer knows all of these doctrines and their unique customs?

My wife is 9 years older than me. and She was previously married and divorced. So let's put all these together. We officially differ in culture. In Turkey a man marrying a woman older than him and on top of it all a previously married woman is not the traditional norm. So what???

Does this eliminate the fact that we are happily married for 7 years? Does this eliminate the fact that we have a 4 year old daughter? Does this mean asking a better future for our daughter (who is both Canadian and Turkish) wrong? Does this change my wife's solid decision on parting with Canada and leaving her passport behind if they don't approve my application?

I don't know... Perhaps they all do because the know it all CIC Officer might think so...

Reactions: rogerEE

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
chelido,

If you don't mind my western-biased opinion, this is what I think based on limited information..

1. It's well known that Muslim practice of religion in Turkey is far different from, for instance, Saudi Arabia. It's kind of like the difference between Christianity in San Francisco, CA and Kansas City, MO. There's a difference in what I'll call "fervency." No insult intended, please..
2. The fact that your wife has continued to be a Christian despite being married to a Muslim will be taken into account. But I think it's a positive thing that will complement your age difference.

Personally, I think your story makes a lot of sense. It doesn't match the stereotype of a Muslim man marrying a western woman, but it does make sense if you consider where you come from and the relatively progressive relationship you have. So just be truthful in all answers to the immigration officer and I think you won't have any problems. Good luck!