+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reason why Study Permit result took longer than the regular processing time?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi. I know this inquiry may be a bit untimely due to the COVID 19 pandemic, but it has been bugging my mind to no end. At the moment there is a lockdown in my country so I don't know where to turn to for answers. Anyway, here goes:

I submitted a regular online application for study permit + open working permit for spouse on 12 Feb (my 4th attempt to do so). The regular processing time in my country is 4 weeks. I had been checking into my account almost daily, and was very patient and hopeful that by around 12 Mar there would be a result. But it never came. Until the lockdown was declared, and a travel ban was implemented by Canada for permits not approved from 18 Mar onwards. This makes it all the more painful, knowing that the permit could have had a decision before the lockdown/ban happened. I just wanted to ask:

1) What could be the possible reasons the permit was not yet processed within the regular processing time, when there were others who submitted the same time as me and already got a result?

2) Is there a possibility that the application will be returned to me without a decision made because of the COVID 19 pandemic?

I had already submitted a web form 3x, but no response so far (the embassy may understandably be limited in operation due to the lockdown). What's making me anxious is that I am scheduled for May intake. My school informed me that they will be moving the start date up to 3rd week of May, but things are looking more and more bleak.

Hope to find clarity regarding this. Also praying that the pandemic may end soon, and for everyone's well-being. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are longer processing times when you include an OWP. Times are only estimates. You will get a decision no matter what.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
If you haven't noticed, there is a global pandemic going on. Your consulate that processes your application may not even be operating.

amarinder28march

Mar 22, 2020
Hi. I know this inquiry may be a bit untimely due to the COVID 19 pandemic, but it has been bugging my mind to no end. At the moment there is a lockdown in my country so I don't know where to turn to for answers. Anyway, here goes:

I submitted a regular online application for study permit + open working permit for spouse on 12 Feb (my 4th attempt to do so). The regular processing time in my country is 4 weeks. I had been checking into my account almost daily, and was very patient and hopeful that by around 12 Mar there would be a result. But it never came. Until the lockdown was declared, and a travel ban was implemented by Canada for permits not approved from 18 Mar onwards. This makes it all the more painful, knowing that the permit could have had a decision before the lockdown/ban happened. I just wanted to ask:

1) What could be the possible reasons the permit was not yet processed within the regular processing time, when there were others who submitted the same time as me and already got a result?

2) Is there a possibility that the application will be returned to me without a decision made because of the COVID 19 pandemic?

I had already submitted a web form 3x, but no response so far (the embassy may understandably be limited in operation due to the lockdown). What's making me anxious is that I am scheduled for May intake. My school informed me that they will be moving the start date up to 3rd week of May, but things are looking more and more bleak.

Hope to find clarity regarding this. Also praying that the pandemic may end soon, and for everyone's well-being. Thank you very much!
try to submit the web form again and answer the following question with NO

Is your application being processed by an office OUTSIDE Canada?

u will surely get a response

Reactions: eagerly

Justequis

Apr 2, 2020

Do you have any response from them?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Do you have any response from them?
Yes, but they mentioned that I am still in normal processing time (even though my application has been pending for over a month). Also, to expect delays because of the pandemic. So I guess all I can do now is just wait.

Unicorn2005

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
I applied for my student permit from 12th January 2020 and the only feedback was I passed my medical test on 29th January 2020. After that there is no feedback. I have send a web form but no response as well.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
I applied for my student permit from 12th January 2020 and the only feedback was I passed my medical test on 29th January 2020. After that there is no feedback. I have send a web form but no response as well.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get positive feedback soon!