+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapplying for PR - Contract Work - Citizenship

JJN

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi all,

I have a complex matter to discuss and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I am reapplying for PR and have enough days (over 950) in the last five years in Canada. I spent almost 2.5 years outside of Canada during this time but was employed full-time by a company based in Canada (not on a contract).

I've been offered a job as a contract worker in Canada and I'm not sure about the legal implications or impact on PR if I accept it. I'll be reapplying for PR over the next month, as my card expires soon, but I was wondering how being a contract worker would work for me.

Do you think that this would make it harder for me to reapply for PR, either now, or in the future, if I need to apply again. If, at a later date, I have enough time in Canada and wish to apply for Citizenship, do you think that this will impact me then?

TY

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I have a complex matter to discuss and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I am reapplying for PR and have enough days (over 950) in the last five years in Canada. I spent almost 2.5 years outside of Canada during this time but was employed full-time by a company based in Canada (not on a contract).

I've been offered a job as a contract worker in Canada and I'm not sure about the legal implications or impact on PR if I accept it. I'll be reapplying for PR over the next month, as my card expires soon, but I was wondering how being a contract worker would work for me.

Do you think that this would make it harder for me to reapply for PR, either now, or in the future, if I need to apply again. If, at a later date, I have enough time in Canada and wish to apply for Citizenship, do you think that this will impact me then?

TY
Your post is confusing. What do you mean by "reapplying for PR"? Have you renounced your PR status and are reapplying for PR from scratch? Or are you applying to renew your PR card?

JJN

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Your post is confusing. What do you mean by "reapplying for PR"? Have you renounced your PR status and are reapplying for PR from scratch? Or are you applying to renew your PR card?
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I am reapplying for a PR Card. I have PR, but I am renewing it/reapplying for the card.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
As a PR, you are free to pursue whatever type of employment you wish to have in Canada.

It has no bearing on your PR status.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So without counting your days when you worked outside of Canada, you still have enough time INSIDE Canada for your PR card renewal?
"I spent almost 2.5 years outside of Canada during this time but was employed full-time by a company based in Canada (not on a contract). "

Are you physically IN Canada now?

JJN

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
So without counting your days when you worked outside of Canada, you still have enough time INSIDE Canada for your PR card renewal?
"I spent almost 2.5 years outside of Canada during this time but was employed full-time by a company based in Canada (not on a contract). "

Are you physically IN Canada now?
Yes, as mentioned above, I have enough days in Canada to be eligible to renew the card. I have over 950 days in the past 5 years.

Yes, I am also in Canada now and plan to be in Canada for at least 6-9 more months.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes, as mentioned above, I have enough days in Canada to be eligible to renew the card. I have over 950 days in the past 5 years.

Yes, I am also in Canada now and plan to be in Canada for at least 6-9 more months.
Then as replied by Islander216, your choice of job doesn't matter for your PR card renewal.

Reactions: JJN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think you need to be careful about your time working abroad. It doesn't matter if you are a permanent worker of a Canadian company abroad. What matters is that you had a decently long history working for the company in Canada and were transferred temporarily abroad. That time would count. You are expected to return and reestablish yourself in Canada although you can change jobs.

JJN

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Think you need to be careful about your time working abroad. It doesn't matter if you are a permanent worker of a Canadian company abroad. What matters is that you had a decently long history working for the company in Canada and were transferred temporarily abroad. That time would count. You are expected to return and reestablish yourself in Canada although you can change jobs.
Yep. I'm not counting my time outside of Canada, even though I worked for a CAD company. TY.