+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapply for Canadian PR

itsricha

Jun 5, 2009
Hi,

I did my MS in us and i am working in US as software engineer for 15 years. I am on H1b Visa.

I got my Canadian PR in 2014 and completed landing formalities and have the PR card with me.

I came back to US and got busy here and did not go back to Canada.
My PR card also expired in July 2019. I have not returned the PR card or gotten it renewed.

I am thinking of moving permanently to Canada now. What should be my ideal/best route to process this.

Can I restart my Immigration process from scratch? What are the chances of getting the PR again?
Is there a way to fast track the process?

Thank you!!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You are still a PR - the card expiring doesn't mean that PR status expires.

However, since you haven't met your residency obligations, your PR will probably be revoked when you try and enter Canada.

You should try to enter Canada from the US. If you're lucky, you may be allowed in. There's a small chance of this (10-20%) but definitely worth trying. There are two possible outcomes:

1. You're allowed in without a report being written. This is the best case scenario, but even here, you'll need to stay put in Canada for two whole years before you can qualify for a new PR card. Are you willing and able to stay here without travelling abroad even once? Also, there can be issues getting a driver's license, health card etc. with an expired PR card.

2. CBSA tells you that they are revoking your PR. You will be allowed into Canada, and you will have the ability to appeal the revocation. If you choose not to appeal, you'll become a foreign national. If you appeal and win, you'll keep your PR status. In case you don't appeal, as long as you leave Canada before you go out of status, there is no real negative impact to any future PR applications.

Or, you can voluntarily apply for revocation, and once that process is complete, you can again try and qualify for PR. If you know that you have more than 460 CRS points, this may be the best thing to do since you won't have the hassle of trying to live in Canada without travelling etc.

Reactions: itsricha

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
In case you revoke and try and apply again, there is no fast track - you will be treated as if you never applied before, just like any other foreign national.

Reactions: itsricha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also can’t sponsor anyone during those 2-3 years. Not sure if you got married or had a child since you got PR.