+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry questions

gmzinny

Sep 9, 2015
Hello there and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

A couple of months ago I applied for a visitors extension visa, which I thought it will allow me to leave and re enter the country with no issues. To my surprise, when I got the paper in the mail, it says clearly that does not allow re-entry to the country. I got married in Sept 2015 and my wife will sponsor me. The purpose of this application was to not be illegal while we submit the sponsorship documents (which take quite some time to gather). My question is, now having approved a extension of my stay, what can I do to leave and enter the country without issues? I will need to travel soon as I have family abroad as many of us.

Thanks again for any help and have a great week.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is nothing you can do to guarantee that you will be able to re-enter the country without issue. Whether or not you are allowed back into Canada and for how long will be up to the CBSA officer you speak to when arrive back in Canada.

It's correct that extensions are only good as long as you remain in Canada. Once you leave Canada, then extension is effectively canceled.

When you re-enter Canada, you'll be effectively entering as a new visitor.

goalkb

Aug 30, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
Med's Done....
End of October
scylla said:
There is nothing you can do to guarantee that you will be able to re-enter the country without issue. Whether or not you are allowed back into Canada and for how long will be up to the CBSA officer you speak to when arrive back in Canada.

It's correct that extensions are only good as long as you remain in Canada. Once you leave Canada, then extension is effectively canceled.

hi Scylla,

could you throw some light in my situation though it is minor as advised by other senior people. your help is much appreciated.

cic currently reviewing my file and due date is 1st march for second review

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/please-help-will-this-an-misrepresentation-or-mismatch-with-lead-statement-t399568.0.html

gmzinny

Sep 9, 2015
scylla said:

So, is there any way for me to apply or request something that allows me to re-enter the country? Or should I call CIC directly?

Thanks a lot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gmzinny said:
So, is there any way for me to apply or request something that allows me to re-enter the country? Or should I call CIC directly?

Thanks a lot.
No such thing exists. Calling CIC would be pointless.

I assume you hold a valid multiple entry visa if you are non-visa exempt - in which case this is what you would use to try to re-enter. If you are visa exempt - then you would use your passport to re-enter (note that if you are re-entering after March 15th you will also need an ETA). Neither of these guarantee re-entry.

Again, there is nothing you can do or obtain to absolutely gurarantee re-entery into Canada.

gmzinny

Sep 9, 2015
scylla said:
No such thing exists. Calling CIC would be pointless.

I assume you hold a valid multiple entry visa if you are non-visa exempt - in which case this is what you would use to try to re-enter. If you are visa exempt - then you would use your passport to re-enter (note that if you are re-entering after March 15th you will also need an ETA). Neither of these guarantee re-entry.

Again, there is nothing you can do or obtain to absolutely gurarantee re-entery into Canada.
No, I'm Venezuelan and came here as a student. Did a post-grad and then I requested my post-grad work permit. I applied to an extension hoping it'll allow me to travel freely but now I can't leave the country and the new extension I got approved expires in May 2016 :S. It makes no sense, at least not for me.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

gmzinny

Sep 9, 2015
Is there any way to apply for a re-entry document? I have two family weddings that I need to attend to plus I'm getting married and I need to travel for our honey moon. Can some one give some advice in this regard? I'm very concerned.

fr33z3n

Star Member
Mar 11, 2015
gmzinny said:
Is there any way to apply for a re-entry document? I have two family weddings that I need to attend to plus I'm getting married and I need to travel for our honey moon. Can some one give some advice in this regard? I'm very concerned.
Once you leave Canada, you need to apply for a new visa from outside Canada to re-enter