+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Toronto without PR card, just landed

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hi All,
My question is pretty much the similar to what I have seen here. Can I re-enter Canada without PR card.
Landed last week. Have my CoPR and a passport. I want to go to the USA and return back in a week.

So, as far as I know my options are as follows:
1) travel to Buffalo and then walk through the border at Niagara
2) rent a car and drive from NYC to Toronto - this one will be super expensive I guess
3) apply for PRTD but the thing is there is a small chance I get it in 5 business days
4) advise plz?

What if I travel by bus? Greyhound maybe? from NYC to Toronto

Imbees

Mar 12, 2018
Hi All,
My question is pretty much the similar to what I have seen here. Can I re-enter Canada without PR card.
Landed last week. Have my CoPR and a passport. I want to go to the USA and return back in a week.

So, as far as I know my options are as follows:
1) travel to Buffalo and then walk through the border at Niagara
2) rent a car and drive from NYC to Toronto - this one will be super expensive I guess
3) apply for PRTD but the thing is there is a small chance I get it in 5 business days
4) advise plz?

What if I travel by bus? Greyhound maybe? from NYC to Toronto
Hi @MarlenTleu88 how did you go about this? Please share.

Reactions: MarlenTleu88

Imbees

Mar 12, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I would like to find out if anyone has done this recently. I have been approved as a Canada PR and I intend to land in 2 weeks. However, I am planning a day trip to Niagara/Buffalo US and I have a valid Visa. I need to confirm if there would be no issues when i try to re-enter Canada with just my CoPR and Nigerian Passport at the land border. Can I just walk across the bridge into Canada or get a Rental Car and I won't get turned back?

I would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences.

MarlenTleu88

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I would like to find out if anyone has done this recently. I have been approved as a Canada PR and I intend to land in 2 weeks. However, I am planning a day trip to Niagara/Buffalo US and I have a valid Visa. I need to confirm if there would be no issues when i try to re-enter Canada with just my CoPR and Nigerian Passport at the land border. Can I just walk across the bridge into Canada or get a Rental Car and I won't get turned back?

Everyone on this forum and in accordance with CIC website tells that you can rent a car or ride a bike (just kiddin) through the border. U cant use any public transportation. Be prepared to spend an hour while crossing the border. I did not go to NYC but I went to Niagara Falls, so I would suggest to drive through it...totally worth it...especially the Canadian part.

Reactions: Imbees

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everyone on this forum and in accordance with CIC website tells that you can rent a car or ride a bike (just kiddin) through the border. U cant use any public transportation. Be prepared to spend an hour while crossing the border. I did not go to NYC but I went to Niagara Falls, so I would suggest to drive through it...totally worth it...especially the Canadian part.
Why kidding? It was mild in the past weekend. Highest 18 Celsius.

Imbees

Mar 12, 2018
Thanks @MarlenTleu88 will an Uber be considered as public transportation?

Reactions: MarlenTleu88

devilsofnj

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Vancouver Island
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
1 & 2 are the best bet. Greyhound may (they should) ask for a PR card before allowing you to buy a ticket.
This may have changed, but Greyhound has never once ever asked me for any type of travel document prior to buying a ticket to travel to the United States with them. I am a Canadian citizen, but they never ever ask that. They fully expect you to have the requirement documents needed for entry.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
This may have changed, but Greyhound has never once ever asked me for any type of travel document prior to buying a ticket to travel to the United States with them. I am a Canadian citizen, but they never ever ask that. They fully expect you to have the requirement documents needed for entry.
Same with Amtrak / VIA Rail. Though there is a generic warning about needing valid travel documents when you purchase and that they will be checked when crossing the border...

Last edited:

devilsofnj

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Vancouver Island
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
Same with Amtrak / VIA Rail. Though there is a generic warning about needed valid travel documents when you purchase and that they will be checked when crossing the border...
Good to know. I've never taken Amtrak or VIA across the border. Only Greyhound/Coach USA/Megabus. I've travelled by bus across the US Border at least 30 times. Never once been asked by the ticket agent for ID.

andy1011

Star Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Hi there,

How did you guys end up getting back to Canada with your COPR and passport without any issue? Please share your experience

I'm in the same situation. I have been waiting for my PR card for so long and I need to go back to Canada, i'm in the US now. I plan to rent a car (Alamo) in Seattle and drive through the border with my COPR and passport and return the car in Alamo location in Canada, would that be any issue? I'm not sure if a rental car is considered a commercial vehicle or not.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Hi there,

How did you guys end up getting back to Canada with your COPR and passport without any issue? Please share your experience

I'm in the same situation. I have been waiting for my PR card for so long and I need to go back to Canada, i'm in the US now. I plan to rent a car (Alamo) in Seattle and drive through the border with my COPR and passport and return the car in Alamo location in Canada, would that be any issue? I'm not sure if a rental car is considered a commercial vehicle or not.
Rental car is fine since it's a private vehicle. The fact you don't own it is irrelevant. You just can't officially take the bus because the bus is supposed to check for a PR card before they let you board or before the vehicle makes the final stretch to the border.

Reactions: andy1011