+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Toronto without PR card, just landed

andy1011

Star Member
Apr 23, 2017
Rental car is fine since it's a private vehicle. The fact you don't own it is irrelevant. You just can't officially take the bus because the bus is supposed to check for a PR card before they let you board or before the vehicle makes the final stretch to the border.
Thanks for the feedback ; )

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback ; )
You're very welcome. It's a tricky one because the CBSA wouldn't turn away a PR at the border however whether or not you can board the bus is up to the bus company. The one time that I did it, the driver didn't check any documents until the vehicle reached Buffalo terminal and even then he just glanced at the photo page of my passport before handing it back to me.

It probably matters greatly what your nationality is though and whether or not you would ordinarily need a visa for Canada.

andy1011

Star Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hi Andy,

I'm in a similar situation to you. Have you made your trip without any issues?

Thanks
Plan to make it by the end of this month bro, will let you know. I have seen people driving rental car across the border without issue. Hope we will all be ok ; )

aruunkk

Apr 17, 2019
Hi

Need a suggestion which is the best land border to cross from USA to Canada With CoPR + Passport
Detroit -> Windsor
Buffalo -> Niagara
Seattle - > Vancouver

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi

Need a suggestion which is the best land border to cross from USA to Canada With CoPR + Passport
Detroit -> Windsor
Buffalo -> Niagara
Seattle - > Vancouver
Which ever border you cross really should make zero difference given you will be faced with a CBSA officer who should apply any immigration requirements consistently.

Even if someone came on here and said they crossed X border and were asked no questions about status or residency does not of course mean the next person is dealt with completely differently.

Just have to pick one which is most convenient travel wise to get to and take chances.

Tibs

May 27, 2019
Hi All,
My question is pretty much the similar to what I have seen here. Can I re-enter Canada without PR card.
Landed last week. Have my CoPR and a passport. I want to go to the USA and return back in a week.

So, as far as I know my options are as follows:
1) travel to Buffalo and then walk through the border at Niagara
2) rent a car and drive from NYC to Toronto - this one will be super expensive I guess
3) apply for PRTD but the thing is there is a small chance I get it in 5 business days
4) advise plz?

What if I travel by bus? Greyhound maybe? from NYC to Toronto
HI,
Could you please let me know if you were able to go to USA and re enter Canada by land using only Copr and passport.
Thanks

Tibs

May 27, 2019
Plan to make it by the end of this month bro, will let you know. I have seen people driving rental car across the border without issue. Hope we will all be ok ; )
Hi Andy,
Please let me know if you were able to go to USA and re enter Canada using CoPR and passport.
Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi Andy,
Please let me know if you were able to go to USA and re enter Canada using CoPR and passport.
Thanks
I'm not Andy, but I have done this as well. They didn't even ask to see my CoPR, they just looked up the details from my passport and waved me though.

Reactions: BiaDias

Tibs

May 27, 2019
I'm not Andy, but I have done this as well. They didn't even ask to see my CoPR, they just looked up the details from my passport and waved me though.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am i. Canada while my husband had to go to USA for some work. We have not received our PR card yet. So I just wanted to make sure that my husband could re-enter from USA by land in a private vehicle without needing PR card or PR travel document. Please let me know when you crossed the border.
Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am i. Canada while my husband had to go to USA for some work. We have not received our PR card yet. So I just wanted to make sure that my husband could re-enter from USA by land in a private vehicle without needing PR card or PR travel document. Please let me know when you crossed the border.
Thanks
16 months ago, but the rules haven't changed. If you're driving in a private vehicle (including a rental car), you will be allowed in with your passport and CoPR.

This stems from the fact that PRs have a right to enter Canada. If you can manage to make it to a Canadian Port of Entry, and show the CBSA officer proof that you are a PR, the officer has to let you in.

PRTD and PR cards are required to travel on commercial carriers. Planes, trains, etc. Driving to the border (or walking to it), doesn't require a PR Card or PRTD.

Tibs

May 27, 2019
16 months ago, but the rules haven't changed. If you're driving in a private vehicle (including a rental car), you will be allowed in with your passport and CoPR.

This stems from the fact that PRs have a right to enter Canada. If you can manage to make it to a Canadian Port of Entry, and show the CBSA officer proof that you are a PR, the officer has to let you in.

PRTD and PR cards are required to travel on commercial carriers. Planes, trains, etc. Driving to the border (or walking to it), doesn't require a PR Card or PRTD.
Thank you :)