+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
This is actually not true. It worked for me only because I have a Canadian visitor visa stamped on my passport. Being a US Green card holder, I needed an ETA to travel, which was rejected by CBSA.
This sounds right. Having non-immigrant visa you can travel to Canada without eTA (visa-exempt non-immigrants are the ones who need it, including US PRs).

Last edited:

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Or maybe it takes a while for the visitor visa to actually become invalid. Airline didn't ask me for my status in the US or Canada at all.
That doesn't seem likely. Non-immigrant visa presents you as someone who doesn't hold PR status, someone who is non-immigrant. That visa now wrongly identifies you as someone that you aren't. Therefore, I believe, it can not be valid. It must have lost validity the moment you landed in Canada as PR.

stackystack

Dec 21, 2016
That doesn't seem likely. Non-immigrant visa presents you as someone who doesn't hold PR status, someone who is non-immigrant. That visa now wrongly identifies you as someone that you aren't. Therefore, I believe, it can not be valid. It must have lost validity the moment you landed in Canada as PR.
Slipped through the cracks turn :) not going to try again, already changed my return flight.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Slipped through the cracks turn :) not going to try again, already changed my return flight.

Either that, or there is a political decision made by Trudeau administration around the time the pandemic started, which resulted in a policy of lax enforcement of laws and regulations related to international travel. When I was traveling to Canada (with all my documents intact, while in full compliance with RO and with zero criminal charges or convictions in my whole life), they were treating me at land POE like I was a gangster coming to sell 50 tons of cocaine. :)

stackystack

Dec 21, 2016
Either that, or there is a political decision made by Trudeau administration around the time the pandemic started, which resulted in a policy of lax enforcement of laws and regulations related to international travel. When I was traveling to Canada (with all my documents intact, while in full compliance with RO and with zero criminal charges or convictions in my whole life), they were treating me at land POE like I was a gangster coming to sell 50 tons of cocaine. :)
Ouch :)

All the rest aside, US PRs and visitors with non-immigrant visa are required to get eTA. It's very odd that stackystack was able to board plane without it, while presenting himself as non-immigrant visitor to airline. So, it shouldn't have worked if airline detected the fact that his eTA was rejected.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta/facts.html and https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=16.7

US Citizens (aside from Canadians) are the only ones who are not required to get eTA to fly into Canada and can simply withhold their Canadian PR status from airline to board a plane, and then enter Canada as either Canadian PRs or US Citizens (many non-compliant with RO Canadian PRs did the latter and shared their experiences, including in this forum).

If what stackystack describes is what actually took place, then either the airline is sloppy, or some major changes took place during the pandemic and political decision could have been made not to enforce the rules as they used to be enforced before pandemic and after the final steps of Orwellian Triple Hermetic border initiative were implemented.
Great callouts. I stand corrected.

Reactions: jakklondon

Paula.lopezgo

Apr 5, 2022
I am a PR since october 2021, I want to travel to my contry for vacation, I will stay two months, my PR card hasn’t arrived, but they said on the website that they send it in December and that It will arrive up to six weeks. It’s April right now and I don’t know when it’s going to arrive, Can I ask for a PRTD in my contry, and what happens if my PR card arrived while I’m outside the contry, Can the PRTD be rejected?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a PR since october 2021, I want to travel to my contry for vacation, I will stay two months, my PR card hasn’t arrived, but they said on the website that they send it in December and that It will arrive up to six weeks. It’s April right now and I don’t know when it’s going to arrive, Can I ask for a PRTD in my contry, and what happens if my PR card arrived while I’m outside the contry, Can the PRTD be rejected?
If the PR card was mailed in December it should have arrived. You should report it lost and apply for a new card. Yes you can apply for a PRTD. You should apply as soon as you arrive in your home country. Depending on what province you live in you may not meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare. Where do you live and did you only receive provincial healthcare in October?

Reactions: Paula.lopezgo

Paula.lopezgo

Apr 5, 2022
If the PR card was mailed in December it should have arrived. You should report it lost and apply for a new card. Yes you can apply for a PRTD. You should apply as soon as you arrive in your home country. Depending on what province you live in you may not meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare. Where do you live and did you only receive provincial healthcare in October?
I live in Ontario, I have my health card since January, I send a solemn declaration form by fax, but I thing I did something wrong Becouse I have no response. Becouse I only have been 6 months in Canada I’m worried that they refuse my application for a PRTD Becouse of an error or Becouse the official said so, I don’t want to lose my residence, and I meet de RO Becouse I’m new immigrant, but still worrying about an official error.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I live in Ontario, I have my health card since January, I send a solemn declaration form by fax, but I thing I did something wrong Becouse I have no response. Becouse I only have been 6 months in Canada I’m worried that they refuse my application for a PRTD Becouse of an error or Becouse the official said so, I don’t want to lose my residence, and I meet de RO Becouse I’m new immigrant, but still worrying about an official error.
If you have only been a PR for six months and have been in Canada during that time (or even not), there is less than 0 chance of losing your PR status by applying for PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No chance of losing not getting a PRTD because you still have plenty of time to meet the residency requirement of 730 days out of 5 years. To qualify for OHIP you must be in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and live in Ontario for the first months out of the first year. If you don’t meet/ won’t be meeting these requirements you don’t qualify for OHIP and must reapply for OHIP upon your return.

Reactions: Paula.lopezgo

carmex

Dec 5, 2022
I got an email that my PR was approved on October 5, 2022.
I submitted the In-Canada Declaration, and provided a Canadian mailing address and PR Card Photo on October 6, 2022.

According to the PR Portal, my case status is in review with IRCC and states that:
"Once your declaration of your presence in Canada has been accepted, you will be able to download your electronic copy of your confirmation of permanent residence document (eCoPR) in this portal."

I'm planning to travel abroad soon for 2 weeks, and reading this forum it might be problematic to return to Canada again without a PR Card.
I currently have a Work Permit that expires in October 2023.

Is it correct that my Work Permit is invalid now that my PR is approved?
On my IRCC portal, my Work Permit documents is still noted as valid, and my PR application is still not "Approved".
Am I officially approved as a PR, or am I still under a Work Permit?

Will I be able to return to Canada if my Work Permit documents on the IRCC portal is still valid, or do I need the PR Card?
Since I don't have received the eCoPR yet, can I return to Canada by a vehicle?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got an email that my PR was approved on October 5, 2022.
I submitted the In-Canada Declaration, and provided a Canadian mailing address and PR Card Photo on October 6, 2022.

According to the PR Portal, my case status is in review with IRCC and states that:
"Once your declaration of your presence in Canada has been accepted, you will be able to download your electronic copy of your confirmation of permanent residence document (eCoPR) in this portal."

I'm planning to travel abroad soon for 2 weeks, and reading this forum it might be problematic to return to Canada again without a PR Card.
I currently have a Work Permit that expires in October 2023.

Is it correct that my Work Permit is invalid now that my PR is approved?
On my IRCC portal, my Work Permit documents is still noted as valid, and my PR application is still not "Approved".
Am I officially approved as a PR, or am I still under a Work Permit?

Will I be able to return to Canada if my Work Permit documents on the IRCC portal is still valid, or do I need the PR Card?
Since I don't have received the eCoPR yet, can I return to Canada by a vehicle?
Just curious...what did you provide as your evidence of your `declaration of your presence in Canada'? This wasn't around when I landed.

Seems odd that the email showed that your PR was approved two months ago, but the PR Portal shows that your declaration is being reviewed.

Not sure about the WP, since you have not yet been issues the eCoPR. It may in fact still be valid, but if so, could become invalid any day. Wait for others, here, to chime in.

You have to be aware of two separate, but related, steps:
1. Being able to board a commercial flight back to Canada and what the requirements are from the carrier.

2. What CBSA requires when you encounter an officer at a POE.

Returning to Canada...and entering Canada are not the same thing, in terms of documents needed.

Last edited: