+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-Entering Canada with breach of RO and previous warning

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ShSa said:
Perhaps, I did not give full details.... My friend's son got citizenship recently and he was flying in with them. So, he was available there to confirm sponsorship. One thing, I do not doubt that my friend was indeed offered super visa at POE. He arrived at Toronto few days after my arrival and based on my experience at POE, I had warned him of secondary inspection. He had no intention of staying back in Canada and he had returned tickets. We did not hide or tried to misled the officer. By the way, after coming back from the trip, he renounced his PR and got a TRV (he applied for TRV and not super visa). I was also surprised, he could have got super visa at the airport without going through hassle of applying and waiting. Surprised more that he did not opt for it !

The observation and the example given by dpenabill is little different then this case. i.e. The POE officer did not merely suggest to apply for super visa, he actual offered to give.
Seems to me CBSA were offering to admit him on a Temporary Resident Permit type scenario and issue it for 2 years which is most unusual. This after he voluntarily relinquished his PR and waived appeal rights at the border. My understanding is that under the IRPA and regs no 'visas' are issuable at the border. In any case the super visa requires mandatory documentations e.g insurance paperwork and say a medical exam. CBSA can't waive these at the border!

ShSa said:
......As for me, I earlier considered going with PR, with return ticket and if asked tell the truth that I am not going to stay in Canada for long. But then decided against it and now applied for renouncing PR and obtaining TRV. Also, put on hold intended visit to Canada till I get TRV.
You can enter Canada as a PR (constitutional right) and either at the border or post entry voluntarily relinquish (VR) your PR and waive all appeal rights. Post entry VR (if not reported) requires you to mail docs to CIC in Ottawa. Once the VR is processed you get Temporary Resident status for 6 months. This is probably the better option for urgent travel to Canada as it guarantees entry. The overseas relinquish PR then apply for a TRV route is not guaranteed to get you the TRV.

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
kateg said:
They don't like PRs without a Permanent Resident Card. Some officers will send you to secondary whenever they see it, and not bother running the numbers. If you're from a visa waiver country, and not presenting yourself as a permanent resident, this can be a bit less likely, particularly if you have replaced your passport and the new one has a different number from the one Canada knows about. The computer won't automatically kick it out, as they don't have easy access to the unique IDs other countries use for their citizens. With criminals, they match on name and birthdate - flag anyone that matches, let you prove you aren't that person. With Permanent Residents, they don't. It's up to you to inform them and prove you are a permanent resident.
I have a change in nationality and moved into visa exempt passport..do I still need to show my (RO breached) PR card at the border?
My main objective is to smoothly return to canada for good with my wife (PR) and child (no pr) and live there until my RO is back in complaince and I can sponsor my child
Please advise

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Hello Seniors and all members,

Just to share my experience with everyone, since I learned a lot from this forum.
I was at the same situation, with only 3 months left for my PR expiry, managed to enter through Toronto airport without any question asked.
I want to highlight, one thing that the Automatic check machine did not accepted to scan my passport, after trying 3 times>
The machine displayed a message saying that this is not PR, Canadian or US passport> little Adrenalin shocked me up :), as I thought will be directed to a manual check in with officer!!!! ( the reason it was a new passport not the one used for landing).

Then I decided to try with my PR card, then It worked 100%, then the machine asked to scan the Custom declaration paper, It quickly return a scanned copy to me.
I was checked 3 times, 1 time at the end of the ACM (Automatic check machine), and 2nd time at the way out of CBA external gate.
and the last time, from the custom agent who collect the scanned receipt. all of the them never said anything or asked anything.
Once they will see your PR, and receipt> they will let in go...as simple as this.

So I want to encourage all PR in similar situation, not to panic and worry, just do it, you will be fine, try to arrive at the flights coming at the afternoon between (14 & 17 pm) as these seems as airport busiest hours, and the more passenger the less focus from the agents.
( will duplicate this post over all related RO Issues) for the sake of others PR in same situation.
Thank you for sharing experience. Could you please tell me how many days you spent in Canada before your entry? You mentioned your PR was still valid but then it is also important the number of days you have been in Canada previously.