+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ns317

Aug 29, 2019
Based on the data from myImmiTracker, it looks like Ottawa is only processing inland candidates. Everybody else is being forwarded to a regional VO.
Nah a lot of FSW Outland people are also with Ottawa (like me). But their processing has been so slow lately due to capacity constraints that they still seem to be processing the candidates with AOR from the initial part of last year (which were largely CEC inland people), before the FSW draws restarted.

Reactions: jrossi

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
In accordance with IRCC my Eligibility is Passed, and Criminality is started. I already did my Biometrics as well. So, now i'm pretty much awaiting for ghost updates and the Ready for Visa mail. But, I'm not that hopeful that I'll receive the PPR before the 6 month mark.
What's ur AOR date mate?

hydrizxcv

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
My friend has 467 and he has given up. I told him to learn French but he said it requires a very high level of commitment and he doesn't have the time for it.

My question is how much effort do you have to put every day to get the bare minimum TEF score that will increase his CRS score to a safe score?

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
My friend has 467 and he has given up. I told him to learn French but he said it requires a very high level of commitment and he doesn't have the time for it.

My question is how much effort do you have to put every day to get the bare minimum TEF score that will increase his CRS score to a safe score?
"Safe" is subjective (see my argument with @jrossi above ha). I'm on the optimistic side and am pretty confident that Canada will reopen FSW draws, just because meeting their immigration goals seems like a govt priority for economic reasons and there is no way to do so right now without FSW...

I think with a 475 you will get drawn at some point in 2021, I think 90% chance or higher. Maybe 50% chance for 472. These are my guesses, I think @jrossi might be less optimistic.

Getting to B1 will get your friend 4-10 points depending on how he scores on the 4 parts of the test, but realistically 4-8 points (4 pts if B1 across the board, 8 if B1 for speaking and writing but B2 for reading and listening).
Getting to B2 gets 12 points and unlocks a 50 point bonus. He'd be truly safe there.

US state department estimates 600-750 class hours for an average language learner who knows English to get to the B2 level in French from nothing. But this requires several hundred hours on the side (watching shows, reading news, etc.). 800-1000 total hours is probably more realistic for most people when you add in the work on the side. https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training. Getting to B1 is easier, maybe half of that time. Call it 400-500 hours.

It took me 9 months to go from B1 to B2 in French doing 8-10 hours a week. I'm sure it is possible to do it faster.

Reactions: hydrizxcv

hydrizxcv

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
"Safe" is subjective (see my argument with @jrossi above ha). I'm on the optimistic side and am pretty confident that Canada will reopen FSW draws, just because meeting their immigration goals seems like a govt priority for economic reasons and there is no way to do so right now without FSW...

I think with a 475 you will get drawn at some point in 2021, I think 90% chance or higher. Maybe 50% chance for 472. These are my guesses, I think @jrossi might be less optimistic.

Getting to B1 will get your friend 4-10 points depending on how he scores on the 4 parts of the test, but realistically 4-8 points (4 pts if B1 across the board, 8 if B1 for speaking and writing but B2 for reading and listening).
Getting to B2 gets 12 points and unlocks a 50 point bonus. He'd be truly safe there.

US state department estimates 600-750 class hours for an average language learner who knows English to get to the B2 level in French from nothing. But this requires several hundred hours on the side (watching shows, reading news, etc.). 800-1000 total hours is probably more realistic for most people when you add in the work on the side. https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training. Getting to B1 is easier, maybe half of that time. Call it 400-500 hours.

It took me 9 months to go from B1 to B2 in French doing 8-10 hours a week. I'm sure it is possible to do it faster.
- It's not for me. I already have an ITA. It's for my friend who has 467.
- "9 months to go from B1 to B2 in French doing 8-10 hours a week." Sounds doable
- How many points does TEF B1 add? and B2? Where can I find more information about this?

Reactions: guelphite

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020

hydrizxcv

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
See "Official languages proficiency - second official language" section in the link below. Also, you get a 50 point bonus if you are at B2 in all four parts of the test.

B1: 4-10 points
B2: 62+ points (includes 50 point bonus)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html
B1 gets you 4-10 points? I think that's sufficient for him since he's at 467. Do you have an idea how long it takes for him to get to a B1 level assuming he puts in 8-10 hours a week?

Igethope

Sep 17, 2019
If you are good with cramming , get all the TEF reading and listening questions. I think they have over 100 tests now. Unlike before that they are were less than 30. Practice, cram if you have to, you can get C1.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020

I went from A1 to B2/C1 (3 CLB8 and 1 CLB9) in about 6-7 months. But, to my advantage I had the fact that french is quite similar to portuguese (my native language), and the vast majority of words that weren't similar to portuguese, were similar to english.
So, if your native language is portuguese/spanish/italian, I believe learning French is relatively easy.

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
If you are good with cramming , get all the TEF reading and listening questions. I think they have over 100 tests now. Unlike before that they are were less than 30. Practice, cram if you have to, you can get C1.
I also support that idea.
I attempt TCF twice, the first time in March/2020 (just 2 months after I started my french studies) and then on August/2020. On the first atempt I focused 100% on the reading/listening sections, I didn't even tried the Writing (literally left the 3 essays blank) and said "Je ne voudrais pas faire cette partie d'examen" during the speaking section. Since I focused entirely on the speaking/listening, I was able to get 2 solid B2 (CLB8), and got 6 extra points, with just 2 months of studies.
If anyone is in need of just 2-6 points, my advice is to forget entirely the speaking/writing sections, and focus entirely on the reading/listening.

Adam Tsao

Star Member
Aug 22, 2019
looks like gov of Canada is considering a tougher restriction on travelling due to new variants from UK and South Africa,.....looks familiar? looks like everything starts all over again just like last year...
have no idea when the pandemic will be over

wildwind123

Oct 18, 2020
looks like gov of Canada is considering a tougher restriction on travelling due to new variants from UK and South Africa,.....looks familiar? looks like everything starts all over again just like last year...
have no idea when the pandemic will be over
No end in sight... sigh...

maxpeyn2000

Jan 26, 2021
I also support that idea.
I attempt TCF twice, the first time in March/2020 (just 2 months after I started my french studies) and then on August/2020. On the first atempt I focused 100% on the reading/listening sections, I didn't even tried the Writing (literally left the 3 essays blank) and said "Je ne voudrais pas faire cette partie d'examen" during the speaking section. Since I focused entirely on the speaking/listening, I was able to get 2 solid B2 (CLB8), and got 6 extra points, with just 2 months of studies.
If anyone is in need of just 2-6 points, my advice is to forget entirely the speaking/writing sections, and focus entirely on the reading/listening.
Hey.
I am waiting at 467 too. My birthday is in June and I almost lost my hope for EE. Simultaneously, I applied for 5 master programs for September 2021, and I wish they won't be online. Do you think it is worth starting French now, or just wait for the university admission and move there with a student visa?

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020
Hey.
I am waiting at 467 too. My birthday is in June and I almost lost my hope for EE. Simultaneously, I applied for 5 master programs for September 2021, and I wish they won't be online. Do you think it is worth starting French now, or just wait for the university admission and move there with a student visa?
Do you already have a masters? DM me if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.