Status
Not open for further replies.

Teenkatigda

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
No idea, only that there as no point system before for granting work visas. Permanent residence is still a mystery.

What about permanent residence? I know so many people who had to return back after living there for 10+ years, wasted all of their savings on lawyers trying to get PR and were ultimately refused. The only people I know who got PR in the UK were people working on high salaries or were working in IT.
The new PBS system provides for a route to PR (they call it Indefinite Leave to Remain - ILR) and Citizenship eventually

arun437

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
“Even if we didnt get Ita, we would have good future at our country.”
The above statement is the sweetest thing I have read and wish I can relate to
I keep saying this to the people from my country, and I say it here as well: instead of spending your entire life savings into a very standard/mediocre course (that probably won't teach you much), try a more efficient strategy: spend 1 more year in your country, and simply learn French. It's faster (1-1.5yr yr only, instead of 2 years of a college + 2-3 yrs of Canadian experience), it's dramatically cheaper and way more secure (if you ended up not getting a PR, at least you won't have left your job, sold your house, car, etc).
Then don't do mediocre courses. Good courses here help you get jobs. I studied in a program that had 50% PRs studying through OSAP to get skilled jobs. The ugly truth is most of the PRs who land here don't get skilled jobs and end up working in factories and call centers.

Carmen01

Oct 13, 2020
Then don't do mediocre courses. Good courses here help you get jobs. I studied in a program that had 50% PRs studying through OSAP to get skilled jobs. The ugly truth is most of the PRs who land here don't get skilled jobs and end up working in factories and call centers.
You should understand that for some people it’s just the need to be a functional society is what they need. Most people from my country have left high paying jobs to Canada to get whatever offer they can lay their hands on in the corporate world.
We all have different reasons for opting out and moving on.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
imo, NZ is tough to crack without a job offer. Australia is still doable. Happy to be corrected.
I used their online calculator and got enough points to enter without a job offer, just like with Canada. :)
It does provide for permanent residence after 5 years. Getting a job is still key. Earlier they had a RLMT (UK counterpart of LMIA) which was needed for any job offers to out of EEA folks. Not sure if that is removed or not.
Fair enough. That's still far worse than Canada, where we can get PR without even living in the country for 1 day. And then get citizenship after 3 years. The UK makes it way harder. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Teenkatigda

Carmen01

Oct 13, 2020
And regardless of where they work, it’s a honest and legal job and those roles will be filled one way or the other.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Canada has an ageing population, so that criteria makes sense. The system has to make it more attractive to younger skilled workers by offering them more points. It might seem unfair, but there is a clear reasoning behind it.
Yup, they want to maximize economic contribution. Younger people makes sense from an immigration perspective when you consider number of working (and income tax) years. Sad for some, but true. It's all a big competition.

Reactions: EscoBlades

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
However the medicore distant degree and work experience you get in India doesn't help much. They value Canadian education more. That's why now they are planning to increase the points for Canadian education to 30. It's easy to get skilled jobs here. And, most of the direct PRs I see here are working in Call Centers.
This is just a hope. There's zero, z-e-r-o statements from official sources that stated the amount of extra points that would be given to students in Canada. If these points would even exist, to begin with. The only thing that was said is that they would consider ways to support international students to get PR. My bet is that we'll see more programs like the New Brunswick one, where students can apply for the PNP before the end of the course.

You're right. There's two ways of seeing this:

1 - The official data. In accordance with the StatCan's CENSUS 2015, there's a pretty reasonable gap between FSW and CECs (1yr after PR): 44k vs 70k. So, the data supports the idea that a Canadian diploma will get you higher salaries. That's one of the reasons why I plan on getting a college diploma once a land, as PR (I would NEVER pay the crazy amounts they ask for international students, no way). But, even considering that I plan on studying once I land, I do understand it's all about a piece of paper at the end of the course. Based on countless reviews I read and feedback I received from people that I know, the vast majority stated that the college courses didn't covered subjects in depth, most assignments were very superficial, and that they didn't learn anything new from what they already knew prior to the course. Maybe there are exceptions, there always is, but that's the view that I have after so many months of research within people from Brazil (my home country). But, in the end, canadian employers values that, so we need to play by the book.

2 - From my own experience. Based on the people that I know (Brazilians) that arrived in Canada as PR, I don't know a single one that is in a survival job after 1yr. Maybe this might not represent the whole newcomer situation, since I know there's some sort of prejudice against Asians, Africans and Indians, for example.

Finally, just to be clear: yes, getting a Canadian diploma helps. But, considering the time it takes for you to actually get that diploma, you'll probably meet these same salaries if you're properly qualified and have a good language proficiency.

ZAtoCD

Champion Member
Nov 3, 2019
South Africa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
However the medicore distant degree and work experience you get in India doesn't help much. They value Canadian education more. That's why now they are planning to increase the points for Canadian education to 30. It's easy to get skilled jobs here. And, most of the direct PRs I see here are working in Call Centers.
Just bear in mind it doesn't necessarily mean they value Canadian qualifications more if they do that. It could just mean they're using that as an easy way to give EE applicants who are already in Canada extra points so that they remain there. That doesn't mean the local degree is viewed as worth more than the same thing from a foreign country. Different ways of looking at the same outcome. :)

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Canada has an ageing population, so that criteria makes sense. The system has to make it more attractive to younger skilled workers by offering them more points. It might seem unfair, but there is a clear reasoning behind it.
You are right but decreasing points right from the age of 30 is a bit much IMO. People with masters will have at most 5-6 years of work experience at 30, that is considered old?

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
Usually there aren’t draws during the christmas break, and a one-week gap draw is done in order to anticipate this. So it’s likely that the next draw is in early January.
If you look at the frequency of fortnightly draws, there should be 3 draws in atleast 2 months each calendar year, so 3 draws a month is not anything extraordinary. There can not be just one draw a month. I would be very surprised if they decide to send out no invites next week. If they do, they will have to make up for it in January, so we should expect at least 2 draws in the first half of January.

Reactions: huyypeter

sun2088

Star Member
Nov 13, 2020
If you look at the frequency of fortnightly draws, there should be 3 draws in atleast 2 months each calendar year, so 3 draws a month is not anything extraordinary. There can not be just one draw a month. I would be very surprised if they decide to send out no invites next week. If they do, they will have to make up for it in January, so we should expect at least 2 draws in the first half of January.
Precisely why there will be a draw some time next week. The way they've positioned the next 2 draws are clearly visible. One draw between monday-wednesday next week followed by another draw around January 6th. They'd literally bypass all public holidays this way which is why they held that back to back draw in late November to schedule the future draws this way.

huyypeter

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Precisely why there will be a draw some time next week. The way they've positioned the next 2 draws are clearly visible. One draw between monday-wednesday next week followed by another draw around January 6th. They'd literally bypass all public holidays this way which is why they held that back to back draw in late November to schedule the future draws this way.
Agree. In the past, they did the draw on 22nd Dec once, I dont see any reason why there wont be a draw next week. Its obvious that they didnt meet the goal this year, and they want to make sure that the draws get back on track after the b2b in lieu of the one on 11th nov

Status
Not open for further replies.