+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of hope - FSW - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

student888

Jun 13, 2019
I usually say that once you know English + Portuguese/Spanish/Italian, you will be familiar with at least 50-70% of all of the words in a french sentence. Almost all the words I study are either similar to Portuguese, or English. That makes the learning process easier. (Yet, conjugaison continues to be a nightmare, when compared to the simplicity of English)
Exactly, conjugations are another thing where actively learning grammatical conjugations will make learning more efficient (although it’s insanely boring and coming from English, infuriating lol).

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
This is just the humble advice from a student of foreign languages: For anyone who doesn’t already speak a Romance language, I would recommend actively studying grammar. The grammar of Romance languages is different enough from English that it would be a little complex to pick it up solely from exposure if you’re not already aware of it. Additionally, French (and I believe Spanish, Portuguese and Italian as well) contain verb moods that don’t even exist in English (eg. Subjunctive). IMO, it’s easier to learn such things when you’ve studied them purposefully rather than stumbling upon them and not knowing why/when such grammatical concepts are used. Nonetheless, everyone learns differently and one should try different methods to see what works.
You've hit the nail on it's head. You cannot term intensive study of a language with a proficiency goal in mind without being familiar with the rules that provide the glue. It is like endeavouring to construct an elaborate building without knowing the design principles.

I started learning French from scratch since end February this year. Apart from speaking English, no other inherent advantages as Bengali is my mother tongue. I started out with an excellent French grammar primer cum exercise book and did it thoroughly twice (especially the exercises) the verb conjugations and the articles in French follow a different rule altogether and you will stumble later if you don't grasp them early enough. There is a section on writing as also language structure (TCF) and you cannot wing them.

Once you are able to decipher entire sentences, start reading French online dailies like Le Monde, practice writing short pieces etc and of course listen to RFI radio and other podcasts (with transcripts)

Spoken proficiency is a different matter altogether and am yet to wrap my head around it. Tutoring will probably be needed in this section at some stage. Perhaps a WA group where there is at least a few members with native proficiency can help.

Of course, prior knowledge of any romance language and a good grounding in English (something many former Commonwealth citizens can rely on) gives you a headstart. This project is not impossible if you are willing to devote at least 6 months of REGULAR prep. Another month or twos exam prep will be needed. I don't think AF courses will help unless taking the TCF is a goal which lies in the somewhat distant future. Get a tutor if you're lucky to get a good one and have a lot of spare cash lying around

Reactions: jrossi and Sicilian

FeedYourMojo

Jun 30, 2020
CLB5 will give you 1 point for each skill.
If you get CLB7 in all 4 skills, you'll get 3 points for each skill (therefore, 12 points) + a bonus of 30 points for the overall proficiency.
It pretty much grants you an ITA. It's WAY more simple (and "point" efficient) than trying to do a masters, Phd, or whatever. I would even say that the time you might need to jump from CLB9 to CLB10 in english could be about the same as the one you need to get a CLB7 in French.
With CLB9/10 in English and CLB7 in French, pretty much anyone can jump to the 490's (and above).
Thanks alot this is very helpful. I'm starting on French this month.
I'll self train for two months then try get a trainer after that for around 3 or 4 months... Hopefully by Feb I can attempt the exam. I'm not sure if that's too ambitious but I won't know if I don't make the best effort.

Reactions: jrossi

Pavisha

Jul 6, 2020
can anyone pl guide me..if my employer refuses to give me reference letter then what are the options available? will it create a issue in immigration process?

Norli

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
Unbelievable. It is a blatant LIE. False information. Please leave your application. As long as you had the required funds during application and you can show the source of any huge deposits prior to submitting you are fine.
Exactly l didn't have the required funds during the application

Norli

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
If she wants to be safe than sorry then she can.

But I checked the application form to see what it says.
It doesn't ask us how much money we have right now.
It only asks us how much do we will bring to support our family.
So technically we haven't given false information even if we didn't have the money in our account at the time of the profile creation.

Screenshot:
If she wants to be safe than sorry then she can.

But I checked the application form to see what it says.
It doesn't ask us how much money we have right now.
It only asks us how much do we will bring to support our family.
So technically we haven't given false information even if we didn't have the money in our account at the time of the profile creation.

Screenshot:
probably she lied so would handle the application from the beginning so that she would charge her complete fees instead of half. Either ways better to play safe than sorry. It took me a year and four attempt to pass Celpip exam with a good CRS score (493), while not wait a month longer for everything to be perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.