01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
Go here: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp
Find the NOC you are going to apply for, then click on that to find the official job duties for that NOC.
Prepare your employment proof accordingly.
I just copied the job duties in the mentioned list and added 1-2 more of mine.
I commend you for the detailed eAPR document list but I will not advise to copy the duties from the NOC site. I have read somewhere (on this forum too) that some who who did this, their employers got calls from CIC and some were also asked for ADR. I will try to find it when I feel better.

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I commend you for the detailed eAPR document list but I will not advise to copy the duties from the NOC site. I have read somewhere (on this forum too) that some who who did this, their employers got calls from CIC and some were also asked for ADR. I will try to find it when I feel better.
Yes but what if the duties mentioned there matches with duties you're doing.
For instance, take the case of 2174 NOC.
Some of the duties mentioned in the CIC websites for 2174 NOC are:
  • Write, modify, integrate and test software code
  • Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
  • Identify and communicate technical problems, processes and solutions
  • Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
  • Assist in the collection and documentation of user requirements
Now most of the computer/software engineers perform the exactly same duties as mentioned here.
These are the core duties performed by any software/computer engineer (Java/.Net/Php etc)
So there is no harm in copying the duties as long as you can prove that you actually perform those duties as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
One thing I would like to say to everyone here -
This forum has tons of knowledge and information. In fact, so much that you will hardly find one consultant who has so much of knowledge as detailed in the lines of these forums.
Fun time is fine but do invest some of your time in figuring out the common pitfalls and issues most applicants face and mistakes they make.

I can show you the JACKASS mistake I made because I was a total..well..jackass few months back. I have improved a bit since then though :rolleyes:
The mistake I made was making change in my profile on Tuesday. I did a small change in my profile and those changes were not reflected till 24 hours and by that I had missed the RoI, the one RoI I was waiting for months, the April'17 one which was below 420.
Luckily, CIC gave me another chance in May RoI. But you can imagine I wanted to kick myself the first time when I made that mistake.
The thing is you should be aware of tiny mistakes you make because later on you might have to pay huge for them.

Now I am giving all sort of info I know and creating thread to help the new applicant but a year or so back, I was like a Jackass walking in the park unaware of what I am doing and what the implications of those actions can be.

Bottom Line - Do invest your time in findings what problems other applicants face as you will be facing them in coming few months yourself.
I faced a lot of trouble in creating a perfect Gift Deed and Employment Proof and that is why I tried my best to give you little nudge on that end.
Will try to help in future as well because looks like it I might face few issues in my applications soon.
I am being told to take the chest x-ray again..perhaps the lab technician didn't do a thorough job while taking it the first time and now CIC has asked for a detailed one along with x-ray film and everything :p:D

Last edited:

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017
The keyword here is, don't be too "generic", rather be "specific" about duties while not deviating much from the NOC.
There is nothing wrong, per se, with just copying from the NOC page. However, it adds an extra layer of background check. Expect a call to your employer!!
I guess, I will have my reference letter changed to avoid hassles. I copied few points from CIC website and added some of mine. Btw, welcome back. :)

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Selfless help ,to fellow members, never goes unrewarded, ever.
But knowing that it never goes unrewarded makes it "selfish", :D it sure is tricky!!
Yes, that could be tricky.
But there is always a difference between "unrewarded" and "unnoticed".
Nobody is going to reward anyone a medal or trophy here but if things pass by "unnoticed" then people who actually need that information will be at loss. So it is TRICKY how you can tell people to "notice" something which might help them and differentiate it from being "rewarded".
I will leave that to you!

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hello people,
I'm bit stressed out at the moment because of the silly mistake I have made. I'd really appreciate if someone shows me the way out.
There's no mention of my father's name in my IELTS TRF but just my first name and my surname. However, given name in my passport has my father's name mentioned along with my first name.
Passport: <first name+father's name> <surname>
IELTS TRF: <first name> <surname>
Now I know that it's a mistake from my end and I should have registered for IELTS with exact same given name as passport, but is there any way out? Like providing CIC with letter of explanation or something like that? Guys please help out on this. I don't want to let go my hard earned CLB10:(
Thanks

Weststarr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello people,
I'm bit stressed out at the moment because of the silly mistake I have made. I'd really appreciate if someone shows me the way out.
There's no mention of my father's name in my IELTS TRF but just my first name and my surname. However, given name in my passport has my father's name mentioned along with my first name.
Now I know that it's a mistake from my end and I should have registered for IELTS with exact same given name as passport, but is there any way out? Like providing CIC with letter of explanation or something like that? Guys please help out on this. I don't want to let go my hard earned CLB10:(
Thanks
Send LOE to CIC, and tell them that you made a mistake, and wait for them to answer, and you will see what they will tell you to do next

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Send LOE to CIC, and tell them that you made a mistake, and wait for them to answer, and you will see what they will tell you to do next
Thanks mate. I tried reaching out to IDP but seems like they don't amend the details in trf. LOE to CIC is my only hope I guess.

Fishal2017

Jun 3, 2017
Hello people,
Thanks
I suppose u need to make an affidavit sort of paper stating that the person who took IELTS exam and the passport holder are one and same.
Attach this along with and LOE and send it to CIC.
Don't worry it will be accepted.
IELTS results are valid for 2 years so I hope u have enough time.
All the best

srvsh.pawar

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
India
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
IELTS Request
24-07-2017
  • Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
Now most of the computer/software engineers perform the exactly same duties as mentioned here.
These are the core duties performed by any software/computer engineer (Java/.Net/Php etc)
So there is no harm in copying the duties as long as you can prove that you actually perform those duties as well.

It's more like paraphrase.... And like you mentioned the 2174 NOC provides more of guidelines on what your RnR needs to be....

Reactions: iamxty

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018

I understand as my NOC is also 2174, and my job duties also overlaps with 2173, 2171, 2282. You can align or tailor the duties as set out in the NOC site but never copy in toto. Instead, write more specific duties.

As for your example, what specific software do you write, the testing software or methodologies that your company use, the sector that you are working on/with, the target users of the software, to whom do you communicate.

- Yes, I agree too, however, if this how we argue with CIC, then we should not be providing a reference letter anymore since they exactly know what we do, just our title, e.g. Software developer, is enough.

This is how I understood the rationale of the work reference letter.

metabug

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
I suppose u need to make an affidavit sort of paper stating that the person who took IELTS exam and the passport holder are one and same.
Attach this along with and LOE and send it to CIC.
Don't worry it will be accepted.
IELTS results are valid for 2 years so I hope u have enough time.
All the best
Thanks for your input..really appreciate it

srvsh.pawar

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
India
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
IELTS Request
24-07-2017
I understand as my NOC is also 2174, and my job duties also overlaps with 2173, 2171, 2282. You can align or tailor the duties as set out in the NOC site but never copy in toto. Instead, write more specific duties.

As for your example, what specific software do you write, the testing software or methodologies that your company use, the sector that you are working on/with, the target users of the software, to whom do you communicate.

- Yes, I agree too, however, if this how we argue with CIC, then we should not be providing a reference letter anymore since they exactly know what we do, just our title, e.g. Software developer, is enough.

This is how I understood the rationale of the work reference letter.
I agree with @iamxty, never copy in toto. To add on to what is mentioned it's been observed people have added specific programming languages, servers, OS they have worked upon....

Reactions: iamxty