+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 138th Draw

ifraseem

Apr 26, 2018
ITA received.
CRS score 480.

This will be my second ITA after being refused for including 1 year of contract work out of 3 years at my lost job as part of my work experience. Apparently this isn't allowed and I was refused.

I have to do my medical again but hopefully it all goes OK this time!
what do you mean they refused your 1 year work experience for contract work ? Can you please elaborate. My two years of work experience is only through contract work.

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
I was an international student, and I still think the system is fair. A person with two or more certificates and one year of Canadian experience gets very close to (470+) an outland applicant with a master's degree, great IELTS score, and more than 3 years of foreign work experience. These foreign applicants had to spend 3 to 4 years for their bachelor's degree, 2 years for their master's degree, and then work for 3 years on top of it to get to this point while an international student with 2 or more certificates can achieve this easily within 5 years after graduating high school. So, it's 8/9 years versus 5 years. An international student with a bachelor's degree + CLB 10 + one year of Canadian experience gets 474 while an outland applicant with a bachelor's degree + CLB 10 + 3 years of foreign work experience gets 441 points. With the current trend, the hypothetical international student would get an ITA while candidates with 441 have little to no hope.

It's a known fact that most international students don't become PRs. I know many former international students who still struggle to find skilled employment due to a lack of soft skills and language skills, and failure to assimilate. Also, not all international students are created equally. Some excel in their field and therefore as a result of that, they should become permanent residents. The Express Entry system gives them a solid platform to do this. If you couldn't find meaningful employment or score a decent IELTS band after living in an English-speaking country for 2+ years, you really don't deserve permanent residency.

International students in the US with advanced degrees have to work for almost a decade to get their permanent residence (green card). Compared to that, the situation is much better for their counterparts in Canada.

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but this country does not belong to us (current and former international students) just because we paid higher tuition fees for our education and lived here for the duration of it. In my personal opinion, a former international student with one-year Canadian experience and a decent IELTS score should be able to get an ITA with current trends. If they can't, too bad for them.
It's easier said than done. Trust me I know many people who are well educated and have a master's degree or other 1 year degree in medicine or law or other specialized field here struggle to find a job in their field. Unfortunately they have to work in a contact center which can be NOC C job till they find a job in their field. Education do fetch you points but that alone will not get you a PR, you may have a very good score in IELTS but that alone will not grant you a PR. It;s easier to say hey you have been here for 3 years and yet you can't find a job in your field so you deserve a permanent residency.

As I said most ultimately do raise their score to 470 plus and get the ITA and PR but I personally know people who have switching provinces to find a job and their work permit is about to be expiring. Again ultimately you have to have plan B, C and D but ask those who have spent so much time and money and yet struggle to get that ITA and not because they cannot speak english or score good in IELTS because not ever field in IT or sales where finding a job is easy.

Again I am not completely disputing with your post as I do agree having education here is an asset and helps you get PR easily in comparion to those who are coming from outside. But not all find the job easily in their field.

deebur

Aug 7, 2019
what do you mean they refused your 1 year work experience for contract work ? Can you please elaborate. My two years of work experience is only through contract work.
I was unable to provide proof of remuneration. You need to have a T4A that covers the time you were a contractor. I did not have that.

They requested additional documents. I could give them T4s for every other year as well as every invoice and cheques and explained that I was unable to obtain anything from the CRA now. They refused because losing the points from the contract year brought me below the score that got me my ITA.

They said:

I requested you to provide me with proof of remuneration from *work place* for the period of *one year* and you responded that you are not able to provide T4's as you were an independent service contractor. In accordance with MI 15(7)(b) For the purposes of this section, a period of self-employment or unauthorized work is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience.

_ladyj

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hi All,

I have received an email saying "We updated your application status, your application status has changes" after the draw but when i check my profile i still see it as submitted, my score is 479, is there a delay to receive ITA after the notification because i still don't see that I have been invited, or does it mean that i was not ? please help

Thanks
Click on the view profile and you should see ITA there. Also, in the second section, there should be a application already created for you.

Reactions: MehdiPL

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I went from 424 to 458 to 466 by paying so much money and working hard to get a second certificate and help my wife get a good ielts score. I feel like IRCC is cheating us. They are not being transparent about the number of applicants, the number of people who accept ITAs. The number of people at each score higher than 450. Its all shady!
IRCC does not owe you anything. Being able to apply for PR is a privilege, not a right. Of course à country should be able, and they do, to chose who they want to welcome as immigrats into their territory. I think the CRS is pretty good at doing this.

You can't seriously be expecting to buy a PR just because you spent X amount of money in education and then because you failed just think they are lying to everyone. Guess what, IRCC does not owe you an explanation whatsoever. If next draw they want to make the cut-off 490, so be it, it's FAIR PLAY.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASPR

hypervariate123

Aug 13, 2019
IRCC does not owe you anything. Being able to apply for PR is a privilege, not a right. Of course à country should be able, and they do, to chose who they want to welcome as immigrats into their territory. I think the CRS is pretty good at doing this.

You can't seriously be expecting to buy a PR just because you spent X amount of money in education and then because you failed just think they are lying to everyone. Guess what, IRCC does not owe you an explanation whatsoever. If next draw they want to make the cut-off 490, so be it, it's FAIR PLAY.
To be fair, they're not "making the cutoff" anything. There are just many more applicants than before and that's the truth of it.

Look at WES backlogs, look at any IELTS test centre, there's so much hard evidence of everyone clamoring to apply and have good scores. People are just reacting to bad immigration systems elsewhere and applying to Canada.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
To be fair, they're not "making the cutoff" anything. There are just many more applicants than before and that's the truth of it.

Look at WES backlogs, look at any IELTS test centre, there's so much hard evidence of everyone clamoring to apply and have good scores. People are just reacting to bad immigration systems elsewhere and applying to Canada.
Of course not, but IRCC could chose to decrease the number of invitations sent and indirectly increase the cut-off score this way, I know how things work.

Of course cut-off scores are currently just a reflection of the number of people in the pool.

Bad for some, good for Canada !

Reactions: ASPR

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
It's easier said than done. Trust me I know many people who are well educated and have a master's degree or other 1 year degree in medicine or law or other specialized field here struggle to find a job in their field. Unfortunately they have to work in a contact center which can be NOC C job till they find a job in their field. Education do fetch you points but that alone will not get you a PR, you may have a very good score in IELTS but that alone will not grant you a PR. It;s easier to say hey you have been here for 3 years and yet you can't find a job in your field so you deserve a permanent residency.

As I said most ultimately do raise their score to 470 plus and get the ITA and PR but I personally know people who have switching provinces to find a job and their work permit is about to be expiring. Again ultimately you have to have plan B, C and D but ask those who have spent so much time and money and yet struggle to get that ITA and not because they cannot speak english or score good in IELTS because not ever field in IT or sales where finding a job is easy.

Again I am not completely disputing with your post as I do agree having education here is an asset and helps you get PR easily in comparion to those who are coming from outside. But not all find the job easily in their field.
I never said it's easy to find a skilled job in Canada; I meant NOC 0, A, and B jobs when I said 'skilled jobs.' It is a challenge for everyone including Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have been in Canada longer than recent graduates (international students). In fact, it is the biggest obstacle one has to go through.

I don't talk a lot about my experience here, but if it motivates others, I have no problems writing it here. I got a full-time NOC B job right out of school after jumping through several hoops in school just like other students. Just when I got myself a beautiful place to live, I lost my job; it lasted for six weeks. I went from employed to unemployed in a day; I had to work two part-time (NOC D) jobs to put food on my table for the following three weeks. Eventually, I got a fly-in-fly-out opportunity (NOC B) to work at a remote gold mine, which had an unusual schedule. I did not even know if I would make enough money to pay my bills that month, but I left anyway. After working for a few days there, I received a contract job offer to work for an MSP at the largest mining MNC in my city. This was also a NOC B job; I kept my head down and worked for six months. Just before the end of my contract, I accepted a permanent position at a local company, and this is the first job that was relevant to what I learned in school.

So, I worked six jobs in 7 months to just survive. Before anyone asks me if I had survived out of dumb luck, I have to say that I graduated with multiple academic excellence awards, a perfect GPA, tons of recommendations from my faculty, and part-time work experience complementing my profile.

My point is you need to find your will to push through the obstacles that come in your way to settle down in this wonderful country. You might think that you have done everything within your power to deserve better, but life is unfair. You need to go beyond your limits to be comfortable here. This applies to newly landed permanent residents and other temporary residents in Canada. Getting an ITA is only a small part of the journey. The good thing for former international students is they get to struggle before PR while permanent residents struggle after landing in Canada.

Also, a fun fact, I live in one of the communities participating in RNIP, and I was asked to apply through Express Entry because of my IELTS score (CLB 10), educational background, and skilled work experience. I finish my one year of Canadian work experience come May, and there's no guarantee that I would get an ITA with my projected score. Feels unfair, right? They want to focus on people with experience in NOC C and D as they would not qualify for permanent residence through Express Entry.

There is a good chance that I would not get an ITA due to rising scores. Am I worried about it? Am I frustrated about it? Nope, I will learn French if I have to get an ITA. French might take a while, but it will give me a boost of 43 (with CLB 7), and an extra year of job experience will add another 13 points. So, I suggest people stop panicking and focus on what they can do. This might come across as insensitive, but the system does not care about those who don't make the cut-off, it is what it is. I wish everyone the very best to keep working towards their dream of making Canada their home.