+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 131st Draw

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hello people, I have to apply for PGWP within a week. And also I will create an EE profile after getting the desired IELTS score. Now my question is can I have these two requests made at a time?
Will my PGWP get rejected if I also applied for PR?
I ask this because for a study permit and a PGWP, we keep our intention to be returning back to home country and for PR it is contrast.
Please educate me.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Reactions: Aitha

BinduMadhavi

Mar 2, 2019
Hi All, My score is 463, and I have declined my ITA which I got on Sept 18th as I didn't receive my experience letters from my previous companies I worked for. I thought Its a good score, for sure I will get it before December 2019. But Now I lost my hope and I will loose points in January end because of my birthday.
Can any one suggest, do I need to take IELTS again or CRS will come down in december or early january.

WunderCat

Star Member
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto
NOC Code......
Hi All, My score is 463, and I have declined my ITA which I got on Sept 18th as I didn't receive my experience letters from my previous companies I worked for. I thought Its a good score, for sure I will get it before December 2019. But Now I lost my hope and I will loose points in January end because of my birthday.
Can any one suggest, do I need to take IELTS again or CRS will come down in december or early january.
Tough to say. It is very difficult to predict anything nowadays. Will we have b2b draw? Will the quantity of ITAs increase or decrease? How many new applicants will we see? Maybe they will decide to have another FSW, who knows.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I am at 459 and still hope that the score will come down around January. Meanwhile, I do IELTS practice tests and will retake it, if I have to.

My PGWP expires in Aug, so I have some time.

Reactions: Manishprasher

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019
you can accept an invitation its just make sure you apply after she completed 1 year you wont have any problem and lot of people do that just to secure an ITA but i think 471 looks to me pretty safe so you wont have any problem either way just to be on the safe side you can accept an ITA and submit all the docs after that 1 year anniversary.
good luck fam
IRCC has confused me, they replied to my tweet that work exp, must be a full year in order to claim the points at the time of EE profile submission. But I saw they responded to other folks that as long as PR application is submitted after the work anniversary it should be fine. And, they have a nice disclaimer that says it's all up to the officer who will handle the case. On tweeter, IRCC did acknowledge EE system has an issue that it offers points in advance. Not sure why are they not fixing it? lol

yg96

Star Member
Jun 3, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
IRCC has confused me, they replied to my tweet that work exp, must be a full year in order to claim the points at the time of EE profile submission. But I saw they responded to other folks that as long as PR application is submitted after the work anniversary it should be fine. And, they have a nice disclaimer that says it's all up to the officer who will handle the case. On tweeter, IRCC did acknowledge EE system has an issue that it offers points in advance. Not sure why are they not fixing it? lol
no knowledge about that but either choice of urs look safe to me

lightspeed97

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
From my research there are two separate scenarios of when the system erroneously awards points for work exp in advance :

1. Candidate is awarded 1 year work exp before the 1 year mark. In this case decline ITA as you do not meet the Mininum Eligibility Criteria of 1 year

2. Candidate has 1.9yrs or 2.9years and is awarded 2 or 3 years . In this case you can wait till the full year and then apply or apply immediately and then the officer will see if your score without the extra year still meets the CRS the day you got ITA.
In this case the Minimum Eligibility Criteria is already met and the extra years are just about boosting points

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019
From my research there are two separate scenarios of when the system erroneously awards points for work exp in advance :

1. Candidate is awarded 1 year work exp before the 1 year mark. In this case decline ITA as you do not meet the Mininum Eligibility Criteria of 1 year

2. Candidate has 1.9yrs or 2.9years and is awarded 2 or 3 years . In this case you can wait till the full year and then apply or apply immediately and then the officer will see if your score without the extra year still meets the CRS the day you got ITA.
In this case the Minimum Eligibility Criteria is already met and the extra years are just about boosting points

In either scenarios 1) or 2), EE system has awarded points well in advance/ prior to 1st/2nd/3rd work anniversary. so, If you accept ITA before work anniversary which means you did not meet the requirement to claim extra points anyway. This topic is highly debatable actually-- Option #1 -- Go ahead and accept ITA and submit application after work anniversary. There will be success stories for sure or Option #2 - Decline ITA received before work anniversary and accept ITA received only after the work anniversary. With 471, I think I will go with option #2 for the next draw. :)

Last edited:

lightspeed97

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
In either scenarios 1) or 2), EE system has awarded points well in advance/ prior to 1st/2nd/3rd work anniversary. so, If you accept ITA before work anniversary which means you did not meet the requirement to claim extra points anyway. This topics is highly debatable actually-- Option #1 -- Go ahead and accept ITA and submit application after work anniversary. There will be success stories for sure or Option #2 - Decline ITA received before work anniversary and accept ITA received only after the work anniversary. With 471, I think I will go with option #2 for the next draw. :)
I would also take the safer option , I try to avoid anything that will give me anxiety.

But I was just explaining why people who applied with ITA gotten before work anniversary are sometimes successful -it's usually because they already met the MEC and in some cases even have sufficient points without the extra year they were wrongly awarded if VO decides to remove the points

Option 1 should not be considered if you only have 1 year of experience because if the VO checks the ITA date against work experience letter , he will see that you were not eligible at the time you got the ITA.

Reactions: yg96

GG12345

Sep 27, 2019
I would also take the safer option , I try to avoid anything that will give me anxiety.

But I was just explaining why people who applied with ITA gotten before work anniversary are sometimes successful -it's usually because they already met the MEC and in some cases even have sufficient points without the extra year they were wrongly awarded if VO decides to remove the points

Option 1 should not be considered if you only have 1 year of experience because if the VO checks the ITA date against work experience letter , he will see that you were not eligible at the time you got the ITA.

I would also take the safer option , I try to avoid anything that will give me anxiety. -- 100% agree.
Thanks for the response.

Reactions: yg96

dgnbach

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
@dgnbach @Lazybug @ContactFront : Even though the official CIC page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s03) says that only bio page is required, post-TA this is what I have for the valid travel document i.e., passport:

You must submit a legible copy of your valid travel document which you will use to travel.
If you have a passport, you must provide a copy of:

• the page that shows your birth date and country of origin, and
  • any pages with stamps, visas or markings.
So did you submit every page with stamps/markings from your passport? I have 2 passports so if I do that I will have to scan like 30 pages total jeez

cshetna

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
Really an inspiring story man. I am almost in the same position. Can you advice me, how did you learnt French. Can you guide me from where to get the study materials or whether you took any coaching? Thanks...
Truly inspirational n motivating

robin6869

Jul 31, 2017
What are the odds to have a draw this week, and what is the target goal for 2019
Common sense suggest that there should be draw this week to meet their yearly target but if IRCC was running behind they would not have decreased ITAs at first place in last draw. So from their current trend it is so obvious that they will not declare draw this week. 27 Nov 11 Dec and 18 Dec could be possible draws. 18 Dec might drop CRS due to 1 week gap only and boost again due to Christmas backlog. Nobody can predict actual scenario before we know their strategy for 2020. I hope I am wrong and they will make 4 draws to clear backlog. Hope for the best.

WarHammer

May 17, 2018
There is definitely hope for 463 although one cannot say with certainty that it will be before December.
I would say give IELTS a shot as long as it isn’t a serious financial burden.

dayocanny

Nov 17, 2019
Really an inspiring story man. I am almost in the same position. Can you advice me, how did you learnt French. Can you guide me from where to get the study materials or whether you took any coaching? Thanks...
Here's my story. I must warn it's a long read.
I never gave Express entry a thought until January 2019. By then, I was already 37. I wrote ielts in february and maxed out at first trial. However in spite of my success at ielts, 9 years work experience as a lawyer, and a masters degree, my crs score was 430 (this of course included my husband's ielts). For lawyers, the hope of getting pnp was almost nil. Although I lived in an anglophone country, the only option open to me was to become bilingual. Luckily, I had 4months maternity leave which commenced in February (I wrote ielts a week before delivery). On the first day of April, I decided I was going to learn French and sit for TEF Canada. I searched for a TEF focused french school but found none in my neighbourhood.

Eventually, I settled for a school where they taught different languages which was about 30mins drive. It happened however that I was the only french student. I had an amazing teacher who was dedicated. I attended classes 3 times a week. Each class lasted 2 hours. My mum helped with the baby. I did a lot on my own at home beyond the class assignments. I learned the numbers on my own for example. Learning the conjugations was a struggle at the beginning. I downloaded the Michel Thomas french audio and listened to all the parts. From there, I developed the confidence to say simple, short sentences. But there were no audio listening sessions in school. The teaching method adopted was purely traditional. I knew I was going to have a problem later on with listening. So I downloaded several beginner/intermediate french conversations on YouTube and would listen to them over and over again. I also got the Echo A1, A2 text and audio for myself.

By the end of May, I had completed A2. I could introduce myself, ask for directions, make simple requests, describe briefly things I could see around me. However, I couldnt describe my experiences.

By the end of A2, I knew I had to change school, not because my teacher was not good enough but rather for two reasons. First, I needed a well-structured curriculum that would later help me to develop the four competences needed to be successful in the TEF exam- listening, reading, speaking and writing. Second, my maternity leave had ended and I had to resume.

Before resumption, I frantically searched for a school that met the criteria I had set. Luckily, i got information there was a small school within walking distance from my office. I made enquiries and joined the B1 class after passing the entrance test. Their test included a listening test. I didn't do so well in the listening because it didn't form part of my learning at the first school.

At the new school (it's called IEF), texts were studied in detail including the accompanying audio. They were DELF texts. The classes were small and interactive. I attended classes everyday Mondays to Fridays after close of work. As a nursing mother, I could close 2hrs before others. I tried to maximize my time at work (no social media, checking of personal mail, no office gossip) to avoid spill-over tasks.
I concluded B1 in July and wrote a DELF-styled exam at the end of the class. The 4 competences were evaluated. We had a week break.

I started B2 second week of August. My teacher had complained about my speaking. He said I needed to improve. I took up the challenge and searched frantically for a speaking buddy on the Speaky app. Before then, I had an hour paid conversational sessions on Saturdays with a student studying french at Unilag. I subscribed to prepmyfuture and we would treat the Express orale questions on the site. He advised me to get a bluetooth speaker which became my companion while driving in Lagos traffic and while doing chores. I listened to podcasts, coffee break french, french radio especially RFI and RTL. I watched Les Maternelles d'Afrique on TV5. How I love the programme! Driving to Unilag soon became tiring as I often had to drive there with my 3kids in tow. I did that for a month (July) and stopped.

I was lucky to meet a wonderful Tunisian guy who spoke French via the speaky app. We became very good friends. He would call me for one hour in the evenings. He was very dedicated. He also wanted to improve his English skills so we struck a deal. He would teach me French and after the TEF exams, I would teach him Engish. Seemed like a fair deal. Each day, I would describe what I did and tell him my plans for tomorrow. I mastered my conjugations this way. I no longer reviewed the notes I took in class, I practised them.

By the end of September, I had improved significantly. Of course, I still searched for words sometimes but I had some "fillers" that made it less obvious. I paid for TEF and informed my teacher I had paid. The B2 class had ended.

My classmates had different dates in mind for the exam. I was the only one who wanted to write at the end of October. So the class became a TEF class. I joined the facebook group "comment se preparer pour Tef". There is a wealth of information on that page. Members posts their TEF experiences as well as questions they had in the exams. There are also study materials for the TEF exam on the page. I learnt how to write fait divers from examples posted by members. I would write and my teacher would correct them. For the letter writing part, we were taught the form of a letter and what each paragraph should contain. My listening had improved significantly. I practised some of the listening questions on the Facebook group. My teacher focused on the speaking. He knew that was my weakest point. We simulated scenarios every day. I repeated the same scenarios with my Tunisian friend afterwards. We no longer discussed banalities. We practised Expression Orale questions.

Did I mention that I joined the Duolingo Lagos forum? Yes I did. The group meets once a month, Sunday evenings usually. I also went for movie screenings at Alliance Francaise, Sunday evenings also. They never clashed though. Both afforded me the opportunity to learn from others. I joined the Nairaland TEF thread too where I learnt from others who had written TEF in the past.

My teacher also provided french songs from time to time. It added fun to the learning.

I sat for the exam 26th October and had LWRS c1,c1,c1,b2. Result released 14th November 2019. That score gave me 45 points. My previous score of 430 had become 425 on my birthday in September. Score is 470 now. I'm hoping for the best.

Worthy of mention are materials for French learning posted by Ludmila Ustinova on vk.

I'm working on having a YouTube channel t further describe my experiences.

Last edited: