+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RAMQ Before AIP? (Inland Spousal Sponsorship)

US-CAN_Love

Oct 12, 2018
Dear members following this thread,

I know it has been asked to death, but are there any loopholes to get signed up for the RAMQ and start the 90 day waiting period before receiving AIP or having a full-time six-month contract with a OWP?

Last week we received notification online that my spouse's OWP was approved. I spoke with a lovely person at RAMQ over the phone who assured me we would find a way to apply for RAMQ, but that I simply needed to call back this week once we had received the OWP by mail. It arrived yesterday, and I called the RAMQ back. This time, the person I spoke with was extremely unpleasant. I have no idea why the previous person I spoke with insinuated that there could be some way to register my spouse, as this RAMQ worker flatly stated that without either: a. a letter from CIC addressing my spouse (AIP) or b. OWP + full-time work contract of at least 6 months, there was absolutely no way to register for RAMQ.

I argued with her that this was ridiculous as we have a young baby, and that in theory I could draft a legal contract employing my wife (not that I would want to pay taxes and pension...), or that my wife could be self-employed.

There has got to be a loophole here -- can they really discriminate like this? Could my wife simply apply and get any sort of job, just to have the contract, then quit (my wife has a PhD and is trying to get work in her field, but it takes time)?

Thanks, I'd be very curious to know if anyone has managed to surmount this obstacle.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear members following this thread,

I know it has been asked to death, but are there any loopholes to get signed up for the RAMQ and start the 90 day waiting period before receiving AIP or having a full-time six-month contract with a OWP?

Last week we received notification online that my spouse's OWP was approved. I spoke with a lovely person at RAMQ over the phone who assured me we would find a way to apply for RAMQ, but that I simply needed to call back this week once we had received the OWP by mail. It arrived yesterday, and I called the RAMQ back. This time, the person I spoke with was extremely unpleasant. I have no idea why the previous person I spoke with insinuated that there could be some way to register my spouse, as this RAMQ worker flatly stated that without either: a. a letter from CIC addressing my spouse (AIP) or b. OWP + full-time work contract of at least 6 months, there was absolutely no way to register for RAMQ.

I argued with her that this was ridiculous as we have a young baby, and that in theory I could draft a legal contract employing my wife (not that I would want to pay taxes and pension...), or that my wife could be self-employed.

There has got to be a loophole here -- can they really discriminate like this? Could my wife simply apply and get any sort of job, just to have the contract, then quit (my wife has a PhD and is trying to get work in her field, but it takes time)?

Thanks, I'd be very curious to know if anyone has managed to surmount this obstacle.
Not sure why you feel like they are discriminating. Returning citizens have to wait 3 months (or less), depending on the province, to reactivate their healthcare coverage. You should have taken out private health insurance for your family until they qualify for RAMQ. That will cover emergencies. You'l have to cover any regular expenses.

US-CAN_Love

Oct 12, 2018
I think you misunderstood. It's not the 90 day wait period I am complaining about. It is the ability to sign up to begin the 90 day wait period. I am currently paying $250 / mo for inpatriate insurance, and will continue to do so until 90 days after my spouse can register. The point is that I've heard referred by someone at RAMQ and by others that there are pathways to registration prior to getting AIP that are workable through the OWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you misunderstood. It's not the 90 day wait period I am complaining about. It is the ability to sign up to begin the 90 day wait period. I am currently paying $250 / mo for inpatriate insurance, and will continue to do so until 90 days after my spouse can register. The point is that I've heard referred by someone at RAMQ and by others that there are pathways to registration prior to getting AIP that are workable through the OWP.
This is pretty standard. No start of waiting period for health coverage without longterm employment or AIP. Sponsoring inland comes with some drawbacks.

US-CAN_Love

Oct 12, 2018
In Quebec. And the standard has changed over time (e.g. for proof that the application is ''en traitment" to requiring AIP) And there are loopholes to the regulation. Which is why I am asking.

I've done my due diligence, and I've delt extensively with RAMQ and won appeals before. They have a fair bit of lee-way in interpreting rules, just need to know the path

melito

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2017
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-12-2016
AOR Received.
27-02-2017
Med's Request
05-04-2017
Med's Done....
08-04-2017
Passport Req..
09-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
17-05-2018
In Quebec. And the standard has changed over time (e.g. for proof that the application is ''en traitment" to requiring AIP) And there are loopholes to the regulation. Which is why I am asking.

I've done my due diligence, and I've delt extensively with RAMQ and won appeals before. They have a fair bit of lee-way in interpreting rules, just need to know the path
Were you able to find a workaround?