NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I think people (all people) should have to right to practice their faith in any way that they choose without fear of persecution, except where it causes harm as defined by principals of basic human rights.

Unfortunately we do live in a world where security has become an issue. As such I also believe that the safety and security of a society (especially a free society) is important and individuals choosing to participate or live in societies where this is potentially an issue should accept that they may have to make some concessions to enjoy the benefits of living in that free society.

All about choices. I want them and therefore choose to live where I do. I make concession to do so. When the price of those concessions are too high, I will move somewhere else.

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
June 21th 2012 Med's Done....: June 21th 2012
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
N/A Sponsorship Approved: October 17, 2012
File Transfer...
October 17, 2012 In Process: January 30, 2013 RPRF Request..: February 4, 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
Exempt. COPR Received: May 8, 2013
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
When the price of those concessions are too high, I will move somewhere else.
As good as that sounds, many people don't have that option.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
As good as that sounds, many people don't have that option.
Although I agree it is not easy (having done this twice so far - immigrating), and even when it is easy, it is not, I still think everybody can make choices. Sure there may be not be better alternatives available, but that does not reduce the fact that these are choices. So it might be financially difficult or perhaps the choices are worse places to live. Still a choice, even if "not an option". And every place has it's good and it's bad. One place might be aligned with your philosophies, but have other downsides. The reverse is true also. Nowhere is perfect unfortunately.

In either case, I value the security of the society I live in and will always be ok with my government preserving my right to live in a safe society. With that I also value freedom of religion and speech, and as I mentioned before I am happy for concessions that makes this possible, as long as it does not impact the security and safety of the society I have chosen live in.

Not a racial thing for me at all. Simple matter of me wanting to live my life, not unlike everyone else that chooses Canada as a home. Dont even care what your faith is. And I want everyone to feel the same level of safety that I desire... Everyone without exception.

And remember that for a society to function, there needs to be a society, which means people need to have consideration for each other. All people. Nobody should get more or less consideration than another. Societies where this happen are societies that have problems.

Just my thoughts

Reactions: Buletruck

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013
Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen talking about his experience with Canadian generosity & Systemic Racism:
Great talk. Alot of this has been my experience in Canada. People may say that it doesn't exist but if you're not a person of color, you can never understand how it feels to experience these things when you've done nothing wrong. Nevertheless, we move forward.

I would like to know however what others think of this talk... agree or disagree. No judgement by the way. We all have our own opinions about reality, so it is what it is.

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Great talk. Alot of this has been my experience in Canada. People may say that it doesn't exist but if you're not a person of color, you can never understand how it feels to experience these things when you've done nothing wrong. Nevertheless, we move forward.

I would like to know however what others think of this talk... agree or disagree. No judgement by the way. We all have our own opinions about reality, so it is what it is.
I would agree with some of it, except the police carding thing as i never experienced that - my guess is it could be related to the neighborhood he lived in (Regent Park), shooting incidents/drug activity are quite common to this day, which gives police a reason to be "more suspicious" when dealing with "black youth"...its unfortunate but, it happens.

Regarding the workplace - in my experience its not easy to identify "racism"..but there's a cultural aspect as to how things work, Canadian born people can build effective working relations with each other much easily, which forms a base for building rapport, trust, and climbing up the corporate ladder - it might take a newcomer a couple of years to figure out how to "do that", some might call that racism, favoritism and it could be true in some cases and in other cases not. I prefer not to think of it as "racism" (because that makes me feel better about the situation) and seek opportunities to improve myself/skills/abilities rather than blame canadians/ the weather/ or the prime minister :)

Reactions: Buletruck

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018
The people who face the most intense racism in Canada are probably the only people who never immigrated there--First Nations people. But like our PM said, Canada may be the first "post-national state." Toronto is over 50 percent foreign born and feels like a truly cosmopolitan space. You might have more trouble in Quebec if you don't speak French and have no intention of learning it.
i agree with you there. I lived in Quebec for awhile and the only time I really felt any bad vibes was related to non-French communication. Otherwise, I I cant recall being discriminated against because of my race.

thegentleman

Mar 14, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
February 4, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
Exempt.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
May 19, 2013

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Great article, but take a look at all the racist remarks in the comment section. The country in going through growing pains. Hopefully everything can normalize in the next 15-20 years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-citizenship-increase-changes-1.4456879
Seen the comments, for the most part they seem confused between the illegal immigrants crossing the border since Trump became in power, and the "lawful" permanent residents who have been here 3+ years and suddenly became eligible to apply for citizenship in October.

Others were saying we shouldn't be allowed to sponsor our parents cause they burden the health care system forgetting that we live here and pay taxes too! Its probably mostly uneducated losers posting these comments cause they don't make a lot of sense...but yea, the negative vibe is clear.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seen the comments, for the most part they seem confused between the illegal immigrants crossing the border since Trump became in power, and the "lawful" permanent residents who have been here 3+ years and suddenly became eligible to apply for citizenship in October.

Others were saying we shouldn't be allowed to sponsor our parents cause they burden the health care system forgetting that we live here and pay taxes too! Its probably mostly uneducated losers posting these comments cause they don't make a lot of sense...but yea, the negative vibe is clear.
That is what happens if you fail properly explain certain things to your citizens and if you are sometimes a bit too quick to tweet about how Canada can accept everybody.

Canadians from 3rd + generation do not have much idea about the requirements to immigrate (express entry, PNP) or to keep PR and to get citizenship.
So when they read about what was happening in Manitoba and Quebec (illegal border crossing) and how some companies are leaving Canada, their conclusion is rather quick.
And as for the grandparents. Yes, children do pay taxes (so that they can use it once they are older), but those parents or grandparents never worked in Canada (so most of them will be netto receivers). So it is without surprise, why is such reaction there.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Canadians from 3rd + generation do not have much idea about the requirements to immigrate (express entry, PNP) or to keep PR and to get citizenship.
True, had a colleague who kept asking me how i got a work permit since i was living in the "third world". I kept explaining the FSW points system and that its actually "permanent residency" not a work permit...but yea, he couldn't get it and just called it a "work permit".

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
And as for the grandparents. Yes, children do pay taxes (so that they can use it once they are older), but those parents or grandparents never worked in Canada (so most of them will be netto receivers). So it is without surprise, why is such reaction there.
True, this is the gap between what the government wants, and what the people want. The government wants to keep Canada attractive for immigrants..while a considerable number of citizens see no point of us being here. Even immigrants who came here 10 or 15 years ago complain that Canada doesn't need that many newcomers anymore.

Onpoint

Star Member
Sep 14, 2017
Even immigrants who came here 10 or 15 years ago complain that Canada doesn't need that many newcomers anymore.
I've heard this about other countries too. People who migrated there 10-15 years back or even earlier are against new immigrants and treat them poorly. The best we can do is, once we move there make sure that we welcome people who leave their old life behind for a chance of a better life in a new country.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
yeah... interesting. The reality is that Canada needs immigrants whether some of Canadians realise (or want) it or not. I live in province that had a negative population growth. Only way to keep the province going is through immigrants. Though notably I also live in the province that is in my opinion less foreigner friendly. Surprise....

There is another point to keep in mind. It seems to me that so many immigrants think that the country is "waiting for them".... Delusional.... Nobody is waiting for you. Some do not even want you. Once you have landed you are on your own. It will be up to you to make it or not. Do not expect special treatment, or that anyone will be standing by to carry you around. Sure there are help organizations.. Sure.. I found Canada friendlier than most.. Sure if you have the right skills and you are able to integrate yourself into society, you will be fine.

If you make an effort to integrate (despite resistance you may encounter) by joining and participating in society. Join the local gym, join professional associations, work to meet people, join social clubs.. you will be better than fine.

You can make a great life in Canada... I am proof of that.

It is pretty much up to you... Expect it, plan for it, do it..

Good luck

terterter

Jan 15, 2018
If a white dude ever told me to "go back to my country" I would stare him right in the eye and remind him that he too is an immigrant and say "that's a funny thing coming from a foreigner."

The only person I would accept a "go back to your country" statement from would be an aboriginal.
This statement and others like it display a profound ignorance and contempt of canadian society and history, which is quite disturbing considering the ever increasing amount of immigration drawing people from distant cultures into our own.

Aboriginal people did not create the country of Canada, though they contributed to it. The extent of this contribution is debatable. A country is not merely a landmass, rather it is defined through cultural, political and historical qualities. Canada is not a blank slate, it is not a post national state (yet). It is the compromise between a number of European colonial groups. There is a reason the towns in eastern ontario, just west of the ottawa river, bear distinctly scottish names, for example.

If you do a small amount of introspection on this issue, consider that it is to your benefits as new comers to overlook this preexisting culture, as this way you can avoid feeling the discomfort of contributing to its downward turn. I mention this only because it saddens me that my personal heritage seems to be fading, while those of you who are rushing to stand over it do it a dismiss it mistakenly, seeming not to know or care about it.

There is another myth which must be dispensed with. The country does not need to continue to grow its population. This argument is primarily made for political reasons and because of the greed of certain industries. Somewhat more true is that there is a demographic bubble in canada due to a generation with many children who themselves had few children nearing retirement. This issue, however, is again generally weilded for political reasons and because of greed. There is a great deal of debate over whether immigration has the ability to solve the demographic bubble, and additionally it may not as cataclysmic as is being claimed. Much of the negative prognostication is baseless, and in fact there is evidence that a sudden reduction in population (sudden in demographic terms) increases individual wealth, as the wealth of the outgoing generation concentrates in fewer hands, so they are able to put it to use making more money. This is true of farmland, as you need a certain sized plot to be productive and with larger batches of children land tends to get broken into pieces too small to be of value. However it may also be true with wealth, as you need a certain amount of wealth to be successful and not merely subsist. There is concern about the state of our massively bloated government, when and if our tax base shrinks, however this is merely empty speculation, many of use would prefer a smaller government, and it is not clear that immigration will aid or worsen the issue. Also, given the option, I would personally not trade my heritage for more government employees and public works of questionable taste.

Anyway there are some things to consider, from a different perspective than you would normally find on a forum about canadian visas.